Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-09-2016, 12:58 PM

Tried one of my favorite inside spots today and got a nice reward
Attached Images
File Type: jpg apr spring.jpg (7.1 KB, 93 views)
Old 04-09-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose View Post
With all the cut backs/layoffs here in Alberta and the cost of fuel has gone down, perhaps some of the resorts/guides can give us a better deal than $500/day to go fishing out there. I would imagine they are going to see a dramatic drop in reservations this year. Two days of fishing is $1000 at least plus lodging and transportation to get there in an economy where many people can't afford those prices.

Just saying
Goose
Would be nice... I used to think it was expensive until I got my own boat and started fishing on my own on the coast... Now I think $1k is a deal. When you factor in a couple hundred for fuel, cost of insurance, hrs you put on your motors, boat payments (some boats are $150k-$250k), the distance one may have to run to premium fishing grounds, and the fact that at the end of the day the owner/operator would like to make a couple hundred for their efforts , etc. Might be different if you just go out in front of the launch and troll around the harbour... But not if you hitter hard and have to do any running around. Surprisingly most decent charters ar booked solid...
Old 04-09-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surhuntsalot View Post
Would be nice... I used to think it was expensive until I got my own boat and started fishing on my own on the coast... Now I think $1k is a deal. When you factor in a couple hundred for fuel, cost of insurance, hrs you put on your motors, boat payments (some boats are $150k-$250k), the distance one may have to run to premium fishing grounds, and the fact that at the end of the day the owner/operator would like to make a couple hundred for their efforts , etc. Might be different if you just go out in front of the launch and troll around the harbour... But not if you hitter hard and have to do any running around. Surprisingly most decent charters ar booked solid...
Yes it's obvious Goose has never owned a good sized boat. I never think about the fuel burn when i hear that the fish are biting 10 or 15 miles away as i just want to get on the fish, badly.

Also the Americans think our prices are a bargain

Last edited by Tofinoguy; 04-09-2016 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:55 AM

Smile

Yes, the only good thing for the charter outfits is the Americans will be flooding to Vancouver Island and the Charlotte's this summer. Why not when their dollar buys them 25% more than ours? We would too.

I agree with Surhuntsalot. The $1000 a day really isn't bad when you start adding up all the costs if you were to haul your own boat out there. Cost of the boat, fuel, insurance, ferry ride X 2, campsite, moorage, rods, reels, downriggers, downrigger balls, harpoon, gaff, line, lures, bait, and the list goes on and on. All of a sudden the $1000 a day seems pretty reasonable. My wife and I are heading out to Port Hardy this summer and I have already spent $1500+ on ocean gear, and I haven't even moved my boat yet this year. I'm not done. I'm sure I will be up to $2500 by the time we leave.

Tofinoguy, keep the reports coming. The real fishermen want to hear real reports of fish hitting the deck.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
With all the cut backs/layoffs here in Alberta and the cost of fuel has gone down, perhaps some of the resorts/guides can give us a better deal than $500/day to go fishing out there. I would imagine they are going to see a dramatic drop in reservations this year. Two days of fishing is $1000 at least plus lodging and transportation to get there in an economy where many people can't afford those prices.

Just saying
Goose

$500 a day? You must be talking per person. I don't know anyone who only charges $500 a day, not even on VI inside waters. Or I should say, anyone that I would want to go fishing with. Heck, a guide in Campbell River running a Grady would burn $200 a day in fuel if he wasn't just fishing out front.

And why should they lower their price for Albertans? The people here that are still working and can afford to go to the coast fishing still will, and the guys who are out of work would not be going regardless of price.

An experienced guide with good gear costs money and with a short season none of them are getting rich. I have a friend who has been guiding for 25 years. At the end of the year by the time expenses are factored in, he doesn't make a lot and if it wasn't for the fact that he loves what he does I'm sure he would have found a different profession long ago.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
Yes, the only good thing for the charter outfits is the Americans will be flooding to Vancouver Island and the Charlotte's this summer. Why not when their dollar buys them 25% more than ours? We would too.

From what I hear everyone is booked pretty solid this summer for just the reason you mention.

It was a tough go for a few years after around 2008. The Yanks were in financial trouble and when you add that to an even dollar there was not a lot of people coming north to fish. A lot of lodges, and guides, went bankrupt.

With a 77c dollar we are once again on sale and Americans will be flocking to BC this summer.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:38 PM

Thumbs up

Lodges are a very expensive dangerous thing to start going to.

I went 2 years and got so hooked I bought my own boat when GPSL closed.

Yes, the investment is higher, but look at the numbers and it doesn't take long to justify owning a boat. If I had a dream life and went to a lodge 3x per year, that would be $12,000-$15,000 a year for 9-12 days fishing.

5 years of this and you have spent $60,000 - $75,000. 1 time per year and you are still $30,000 - $40,000 spent. I would rather put that towards a boat. In fact, I did!

I had full intentions of going 1-2 times per year, until I can not go anymore. Full respect to the Lodges and Guides, yes I am hooked. GPSL closing was just the push I needed to get my own boat, and fish on my schedule. Want to go out late, back late? Sure, let's go when the sun is shining!

Now with my investment I can fish 30-60 days per year if I like. Fuel costs are minimal compared to Lodge day/week prices, full respect to the Lodges. You see every kind of boat out on the ocean, I saw guys 25 miles out in tinners!!! Big brass balls, I guess.

Either way I can not wait. I am dying to see some pics, hear some stories and share some of my own. New to me this year, I am looking into getting a USA license and fishing Alaska!

Who else is going west this summer? Maybe we can fish together!
Old 04-10-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post

Yes, the investment is higher, but look at the numbers and it doesn't take long to justify owning a boat. If I had a dream life and went to a lodge 3x per year, that would be $12,000-$15,000 a year for 9-12 days fishing.

5 years of this and you have spent $60,000 - $75,000. 1 time per year and you are still $30,000 - $40,000 spent. I would rather put that towards a boat. In fact, I did!

I had full intentions of going 1-2 times per year, until I can not go anymore. Full respect to the Lodges and Guides, yes I am hooked. GPSL closing was just the push I needed to get my own boat, and fish on my schedule. Want to go out late, back late? Sure, let's go when the sun is shining!

Now with my investment I can fish 30-60 days per year if I like. Fuel costs are minimal compared to Lodge day/week prices, full respect to the Lodges. You see every kind of boat out on the ocean, I saw guys 25 miles out in tinners!!! Big brass balls, I guess.

Either way I can not wait. I am dying to see some pics, hear some stories and share some of my own. New to me this year, I am looking into getting a USA license and fishing Alaska!

I'm with you...don't have the boat like you do but like doing it on my own. But this is also not for everybody. Outfitters do one heck of a lot you do not have worry about. Also the biggest factor, a big scary ocean. Definitely not for the light hearted and experience is a must. I've learned some important things on my own already and have lived to hopefully not repeat them. It is an unforgiving place.

If you are thinking Alaska, where are you thinking of starting out from? Just curious.

Tofino, nice catch again. Wish I could get out that way this year.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:29 PM

After doing the math, i also bought a boat. My wife likes to fish with me, so if we went the lodge route it would cost us double. The other problem with guides or lodges is the prime times book up long in advance. Now when we go, our only concern is finding a motel room. We stay as long as we like and only go out when the weather suits us. I put very few hours on my boat every year, so i will get most if not all off the money back for my boat. No doubt the ocean can be a frightening place but the satisfaction of catching your own fish is awesome.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Hawk View Post
After doing the math, i also bought a boat. My wife likes to fish with me, so if we went the lodge route it would cost us double. The other problem with guides or lodges is the prime times book up long in advance. Now when we go, our only concern is finding a motel room. We stay as long as we like and only go out when the weather suits us. I put very few hours on my boat every year, so i will get most if not all off the money back for my boat. No doubt the ocean can be a frightening place but the satisfaction of catching your own fish is awesome.
I would offer that boats depreciate a lot more and faster than you think
Old 04-10-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:

Not sure about your math unless you are looking at high end lodges.

More like $1500 each for a 3 day trip at an econo lodge for 3 guys so more like $5000 for 3 trips a year but that's a moot point.

I'm sure being able to go when ever you wanted was a huge factor.

Just an FYI for u drives.....the Ministry of Transport in BC is on the warpath regarding trucks GVW towing boats and their braking systems on the boat trailers. They have already had 3 big check points starting last Labour Day weekend on Vancouver Island (2 this spring) , pulling them into truck scales and weighing them. The regs have changed and the fines are getting big. I pay a hauler now when i need my boat moved because i don't have a 1 ton and a tri axle trailer.

Good luck this year the forecasts look awesome!
Old 04-10-2016, 04:52 PM
Gone Hunting

I often wonder if guides are making a ton of moey, why don't the financial experts on these threads, just buy a boat and jump right in to the gold rush?

Must be something I'm missing.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-10-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofinoguy View Post
Not sure about your math unless you are looking at high end lodges.
More like $1500 each for a 3 day trip at an econo lodge for 3 guys so more like $5000 for 3 trips a year but that's a moot point.
I'm sure being able to go when ever you wanted was a huge factor.
Just an FYI for u drives.....the Ministry of Transport in BC is on the warpath regarding trucks GVW towing boats and their braking systems on the boat trailers. They have already had 3 big check points starting last Labour Day weekend on Vancouver Island (2 this spring) , pulling them into truck scales and weighing them. The regs have changed and the fines are getting big. I pay a hauler now when i need my boat moved because i don't have a 1 ton and a tri axle trailer.
Good luck this year the forecasts look awesome!
When I called around Prince Rupert and went to GPSL $3500 per person for 3 days was a pretty good deal. Add a grand for the 4th day. Other places were MUCH higher.
He did say one time that the boat was $1500 per day for a day charter, so $375 per day per person, not including a bed at the end of the day.

BUT- then it is Kevin's turn at the down rigger to catch a fish, Robb's fish, Bob's fish, Ken's fish, repeat all day long. The only real reel time you get is ground fishing for Hali or Ling. With my boat, everything on the starboard side downrigger is mine, the port side is the other guy's.

It is sure nice to say you are getting all the costs down, to say $1500 for 3 days at an econo-lodge, but you get econo-bed, econo-food, econo-boat, econo-gear and let's not forget that at the end of the day there is the expected tip for the boat driver, for the maid, for the cook.....

And then you still have to pay for fish processing, etc.

If GPSL was still open I would be looking at booking for this year too, but owning my own boat I go where and when I want. I can sleep on the boat if I like, and in fact did that many nights.

I bought my boat used, the depreciation now is minimal.

My boat is a triple axle triple brake system behind a 1 ton. I am good, but that is a very good tip. Thanks for that!
Old 04-10-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
When I called around Prince Rupert and went to GPSL $3500 per person for 3 days was a pretty good deal. Add a grand for the 4th day. Other places were MUCH higher.
He did say one time that the boat was $1500 per day for a day charter, so $375 per day per person, not including a bed at the end of the day.

BUT- then it is Kevin's turn at the down rigger to catch a fish, Robb's fish, Bob's fish, Ken's fish, repeat all day long. The only real reel time you get is ground fishing for Hali or Ling. With my boat, everything on the starboard side downrigger is mine, the port side is the other guy's.

It is sure nice to say you are getting all the costs down, to say $1500 for 3 days at an econo-lodge, but you get econo-bed, econo-food, econo-boat, econo-gear and let's not forget that at the end of the day there is the expected tip for the boat driver, for the maid, for the cook.....

And then you still have to pay for fish processing, etc.

If GPSL was still open I would be looking at booking for this year too, but owning my own boat I go where and when I want. I can sleep on the boat if I like, and in fact did that many nights.

I bought my boat used, the depreciation now is minimal.

My boat is a triple axle triple brake system behind a 1 ton. I am good, but that is a very good tip. Thanks for that!
I respectfully wasn't trying to open any can of worms on the pricing. Everybody's over head is different i guess.

Not sure what GPSL stands for.

Sounds like you are in good shape if you run into the inspection web...cheers!
Old 04-10-2016, 08:10 PM

Quote:
I respectfully wasn't trying to open any can of worms on the pricing. Everybody's over head is different i guess.

Not sure what GPSL stands for.

Sounds like you are in good shape if you run into the inspection web...cheers!
Great Pacific Salmon Lodge.

Hope so !
Old 04-10-2016, 08:36 PM

Quote:

Just saying
Goose
Great to hear the run of Columbians is as good as predicted.

Our trip to a high end lodge with airfare comes in at $870/day with direct airfare and tournament package.

$3000 off for us Albertans.

Going to be a tough slug for some time to come.

Don't leave till May 31 so I hope the fish are still there. Always done well on chinooks, Hali, ling and snapper. Usually get 2 coho also.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-10-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:

Just saying
Goose
Actually the reservations have never been higher. Still Albertans, BC residents and TONS of Americans. I don't think there will be any price drops in the near future.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:33 PM

Ling cod are open for our area now.

Had a great morning with the white meat including a 65 lb halibut
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13006576_10155825584306515_7854872302204920107_n.jpg (39.9 KB, 53 views)
Old 04-12-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:

Tough life. I miss those days. The salmon fishing really sucks in Fort McMurray! Lol.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:

Awesome Tofinoguy! Keep the pics & reports coming but Save some for me! I"ll be out your way pretty soon. Can't wait.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
I would offer that boats depreciate a lot more and faster than you think
That's true in a lot of cases but by "Sea Hawks" name I think his boat will hold it's value well. I bought a 21foot North River Sea Hawk back in 2008 when things were not so good in the USA. Somebody had ordered it with every bell and whistle you could put on it and then had to walk away from his deposit. I was looking for a used boat but couldn't say no to the deal. North River closed up a bunch of there shops months later so they were probably desperate for cash. I purchased it with power appropriate to where I would fish and as such economy in fuel is excellent and space is more than I need but then again you really can't ever have too much.
I'm fairly sure I could get every penny back that I put in but why would I with salmon season just weeks away
Old 04-12-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
That's true in a lot of cases but by "Sea Hawks" name I think his boat will hold it's value well. I bought a 21foot North River Sea Hawk back in 2008 when things were not so good in the USA. Somebody had ordered it with every bell and whistle you could put on it and then had to walk away from his deposit. I was looking for a used boat but couldn't say no to the deal. North River closed up a bunch of there shops months later so they were probably desperate for cash. I purchased it with power appropriate to where I would fish and as such economy in fuel is excellent and space is more than I need but then again you really can't ever have too much.
I'm fairly sure I could get every penny back that I put in but why would I with salmon season just weeks away
You hit the nail right on the head. I shopped for a north river for two years, then i happened upon a perfect situation. Our dollar was better than par and things were slow south of the border. I found a 21 foot seahawk with 91 hours on the motor. I like you could easily sell my boat for a profit especially south of tne border with the exchange. However i plan to have it in the water in at the coast a few times this year.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
You hit the nail right on the head. I shopped for a north river for two years, then i happened upon a perfect situation. Our dollar was better than par and things were slow south of the border. I found a 21 foot seahawk with 91 hours on the motor. I like you could easily sell my boat for a profit especially south of tne border with the exchange. However i plan to have it in the water in at the coast a few times this year.
I've gone through my share of boats (ask my wife) but I don't think I could find a better boat that covers what I need it to do using the amount of fuel I can afford to burn. Where abouts will you be on the coast? I'll keep my eyes open 'cause I just love North Rivers
Old 04-12-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
I've gone through my share of boats (ask my wife) but I don't think I could find a better boat that covers what I need it to do using the amount of fuel I can afford to burn. Where abouts will you be on the coast? I'll keep my eyes open 'cause I just love North Rivers
We go to prince rupert. We have talked about going to the island but i hate to think what my truck and boat would cost on the ferry. Prince Rupert is good but we find you have to travel quite a ways out for better fishing. Often if it is foggy of too windy we stay in port. I tried Kitimat one year but found the fishing better in rupert. I even tried Kincolith at the mouth of the nass one year. That was an adventure.
I have the same opinion as you of the North River boats and like you went through a number of different ones before i got this one. This is my last boat unless i win the lottery and if i ever figure out how to do it i will post a photo.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
We go to prince rupert. We have talked about going to the island but i hate to think what my truck and boat would cost on the ferry. Prince Rupert is good but we find you have to travel quite a ways out for better fishing. Often if it is foggy of too windy we stay in port. I tried Kitimat one year but found the fishing better in rupert. I even tried Kincolith at the mouth of the nass one year. That was an adventure.
I have the same opinion as you of the North River boats and like you went through a number of different ones before i got this one. This is my last boat unless i win the lottery and if i ever figure out how to do it i will post a photo.
You may want to give the ferry in Rupert (QCI) a try this year. From what I understand they have removed the over height pricing which will make a huge difference in the price. I can tell you that your boat will be perfect for fishing out of Masset ( 2nd can, 7 mile, cape edenshaw, etc.).
Old 04-13-2016, 12:49 PM

I'm booked with Serengeti for August and CAN'T WAIT!!!
Old 04-13-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
You may want to give the ferry in Rupert (QCI) a try this year. From what I understand they have removed the over height pricing which will make a huge difference in the price. I can tell you that your boat will be perfect for fishing out of Masset ( 2nd can, 7 mile, cape edenshaw, etc.).
$1,700.00 (plus tax) return for my truck and boat with 2 passengers to the QCI.
Boat is a 26 ft Kingfisher
Old 04-13-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
When are going over???
Old 04-13-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
YOU have my full and undivided attention!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
Awww.... ya, guess not QCI for me this year unless I drive the boat there
Old 04-13-2016, 04:45 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post
I'm booked with Serengeti for August and CAN'T WAIT!!!
Really looking forward to the trip! Our boats are coming out of storage this week and will be fishing 3 weeks or so so updates will be often from then on!!! :s Ha_shakeshout:
www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast