Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-31-2017, 03:14 PM

Default How To Find Summer Walleye | Canoe Fishing Sylvan Lake, Alberta

There's 3 lakes less then 30 minutes away from my House. Pine, Gull and Sylvan. I taught myself how to fish at Pine last summer. Figured out Gull Lake earlier this year due to the generosity of others. And now I can finally check Sylvan Lake off my list as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OcgbRcuRMc

Like I mentioned in the video. This was my 3rd or 4th time on Sylvan Lake this year and I still had nothing to show for it. Not even one single bite. But I didn't give up. And I'm glad I didn't.

Now I just need to find those Pike.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:23 PM

I went out in a canoe once on sylvan, that was the last time I did that, too many people with big boats who don't seem to care that they can capsize you, fishing was good though...
Old 07-31-2017, 08:40 PM

Great video. You kicked some butt out there.im happy to see your persistence is paying off. Your enthusiasm is infectious. Good luck in your next outing. Maybe I will run into ya out fishing sometime.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:57 PM

Awesome job man you absolutely crushed it!

Taking notes here
Old 08-01-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
too many people with big boats who don't seem to care that they can capsize you
That is very true!
Old 08-01-2017, 11:40 AM

Thanks for sharing! And again very enjoyable vid!
Old 08-01-2017, 01:04 PM

I have caught some pike vertical jigging but not lots. You could try casting out and swimming the jig back, I have caught plenty of pike that way. Though about the only time I catch walleye and pike at the same time is when I am running bottom bouncers. The spoon in the video was too small as a rule no-0 and no-1 len t's will be your bread and butter.

Minnow baits , rattling raps and other longer skinny deep divers will work as cross over baits.

Does Sylvan have the same annoying weeds as gull, if it does you can Texas rig a jig tube on a swimbait hook and run it like a near weedless jerk bait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1285...8SjjiVOueYhMF0
Old 08-01-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I went out in a canoe once on sylvan, that was the last time I did that, too many people with big boats who don't seem to care that they can capsize you, fishing was good though...
Its like biking on a highway with a narrow shoulder. If you want glass there are plenty of smaller lakes without powerboats on them. It's not that they don't care, its just that they have a power boat and boats make waves.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 08-01-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Its like biking on a highway with a narrow shoulder. If you want glass there are plenty of smaller lakes without powerboats on them. It's not that they don't care, its just that they have a power boat and boats make waves. I bet you don't slow down to a crawl on the highway when you pass a road biker.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 08-01-2017, 04:22 PM

Tim; what electronics do you use on your canoe??

Earlyish mornings and later afternoons, as well as cloudy choppy weather; you should be able to find wally active and feeding just on the break between the green grassy weeds (17FOW) and structure, sort of a sloping bottom to deeper water. This is based upon a week ago, 67 F water and the Gkids and I had a ball. We locate with bouncers and then switch to the anchor / slip bobber. Every day is somewhat different as to what exactly they want.

That said on a post rainy night, and cloudy day, with a 6" chop, they were going crazy on a 12 FOW sand flat.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
Great video. You kicked some butt out there.im happy to see your persistence is paying off. Your enthusiasm is infectious. Good luck in your next outing. Maybe I will run into ya out fishing sometime.
Thanks RACKER, Ben and Vook!

Glad you guys enjoyed the Video! And I hope to see you out there with a bent rod in your hands sometime!
Old 08-01-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilngas View Post
Tim; what electronics do you use on your canoe??

Earlyish mornings and later afternoons, as well as cloudy choppy weather; you should be able to find wally active and feeding just on the break between the green grassy weeds (17FOW) and structure, sort of a sloping bottom to deeper water. This is based upon a week ago, 67 F water and the Gkids and I had a ball. We locate with bouncers and then switch to the anchor / slip bobber. Every day is somewhat different as to what exactly they want.

That said on a post rainy night, and cloudy day, with a 6" chop, they were going crazy on a 12 FOW sand flat.
I got the worlds cheapest fish finder. It's basically a Tamagochi lol. It gives me a fairly reasonable depth reading but that's about it.

And thanks for the tips!

Tags
canoe, faze, summer, timid, walleye