Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-09-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
So, I’ve done a bit of research, the research Double_A_Ron should be doing before laying unfounded accusations and others should be checking
before targeting this company. (I guess it’s easier to gossip than look at facts).

The Kijiji ad is for: Alberta Advantage Outfitters

They are a real business, not just someone posting on kijiji, and have been around for a while.

They have a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/AlbertaAdvantageOutfitters/ and say they are Albertas one and only Resident Guide Service.

They are a member of APOS (Alberta Professional Outfitter Society). APOS is strict about legal guiding and monitors the records of
their members directly with the Alberta government.

They are also hosting the Alberta Hunters Education Course & Test.

Many have trolled this company before and they are responsive to those trolls (so I guess they haven’t seen this post yet), I’ve
sent a message to the kijiji poster altering them to this thread and asking them to chip in (he’s been quite vocal about this type
of trolling before, and has stated he is a fully legal operation).

Permits for guiding in the PP are cheap, and they don’t need the permit to advertise, only when used, so they
may not even have (or need) a permit until the first customer turns up.

These costs are typically passed onto the clients (as anyone who has been guided knows), unless they are cheap enough to be part of the business cost, which
frankly this is for a year.

It’s not in their interest to fish in the park illegally, they get permits for everything else they need, why would you assume they wouldn’t
for this? It does appear to be their first year guiding for fishing.

There’s some debate about their business practices, some hate them with a
passion, some like em, some don't think the APOS is a responsible
operation.

They’re perfectly entitled to guide on Jackson Lake with a permit, which they can easily get.

Are we done with this? If not, take it up with Alberta Advantage Outfitters directly or AB Parks.

And for reference, here’s the original cached page you were referring too:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&client=safari
If their services are being rendered legally there are no issues, hence why this has been a search for answers even from the original post. The changing of there ad is still questionable, if they're doing nothing wrong why change it? But I'm not a F&W officer or a parka officer. Good on you for finding the info. As long as the fisheries are not beng exploited illegally for $$$ I have not issues.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
There were a few changes if you compare them, not just Jackson -> Lac La Biche area.

To me, when I looked at it and the changes themselves, didn't look suspicious, just looked like someone amending their ad because they didn't get it right first time.

Given that fishing guiding is fairly new to them and they're more experienced with hunting, I'd expect some corrections to get it right the first few times.Also, specifying an area is more comprehensive than one lake, you wouldn't want to make out as a guide you only fish one location and won't consider anywhere else.

And it could have been in response to questions, i.e. do you fish location X or only Jackson?

If it was one change only, I'd be more suspicious, but even then doesn't prove it.

The bolded part is where you are gravely mistaken.

That family started their career ticking people off guiding on the Bow river, they have it down to a science now! :-)

There were fishing before they were running that hunting outfit.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:11 PM

This has "black Dodge Dually" written all over it- I may just start shootinn' and ask questions later if it goes sideways!!
Cat