Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-19-2021, 05:36 PM

Red face Boat Safety Question - Reliable Weather Forecasts?

Hi everyone,

So I went fishing at Crawling Valley yesterday. 2nd time out (ever) in my new 14 foot Jon Boat.

Had the day booked for fishing a few days in advance, and the weather forecast changed (unfortunately) to 40-60km winds. Based on how terribly inaccurate the weather forecasts normally are on the Weather Network (they have had me set up backwards dozens of times the last couple years with decoy spreads and couldn't have been more wrong!) I decided to just head down there with the boat and evaluate it myself.

Showed up to a dead calm lake around 9am and was thrilled I didn't cancel my plans based on the "stupid weather man".

Got my gear ready, launched the boat, got 10 minutes into the lake (caught a beauty pike in 45 seconds of trolling too!) and then about 10 minutes later all hell broke loose!

Winds picked up from basically zero to whitecaps on the lake, and I ended up needing to take shelter on the downwind side of a small island for about 3 hours while I tried to figure out my options. Storm got worse and worse, and getting back to the boat launch looked impossible. Honestly shook me up a bit, as I wasn't 100% sure what to do. Eventually I just went for it, and stayed close to shore in case the boat tipped. (It actually turned out to be an amazingly sturdy boat in some big waves - although I got soaked from the spray!)

But after that experience (and how fast the weather turned) - I'm wondering if anyone has any regularly reliable weather forecasts that they rely on? Weather Network used to be pretty good, but I feel like the last couple of years it's tanked completely. Any good recommendations?
Old 05-19-2021, 06:02 PM

OK, now that was truly FUNNY!!!! YOU see, weather forecasting is the original FAKE NEWS!!

Weather forecasts are for a very big area, and are not locally specific.

Many years ago we used to stop at the gas station at ABEE. He had all kinds of incredible fish mounted on the walls. When I asked where he got them he said Pinehurt lake but he never fishes there any more.

His son, nephew, and grand son were fishing Pinehurst and did not come home. He drove to the lake, saw the truck and empty boat trailer, and went into LLB to get help. Next morning the RCMP found the grand son wandering on the shore very beat up and cut, but alive. All that was found of the boat was the gas tank, a cooler lid, some wood and that was it. From the grandson's description, the sky went black really fast, the water became really rough, the boat was taken into the air ...

A Tornado hit the lake and became a water spout.

The Grand son had a life jacket on and was the only one who survived.

Sure the forecasts are better than long ago, but local conditions can change in a blink of an eye.

Drewski
Old 05-19-2021, 06:16 PM

Windy.com is pretty good. Gives you an idea before you head out.

Best thing you can do in a bad storm is get close to shore like you did and putz around the outside back to the launch, or take cover like you did.
Old 05-19-2021, 06:18 PM

I use Environment Canada. Not perfect...but is usually pretty close. Keep and eye on the long term, but pay the most attention to the forecast the morning you are heading out. I find the most useful tool is the live radar...you can see what is happening in real time and make your own judgment call. Other then that keep your eye on the sky...and pay attention to tour "Spidy Sense!" Last but not least...err on the side of caution.
Old 05-19-2021, 06:55 PM

I've found the fishweather app to be the most consistent. Also gives hourly forecasts for a lot of points in the province.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2021, 06:56 PM

The weather network could stand outside in a blizzard, say it's sunny and +30 and be totally convinced they're right. They're consistently the least accurate in my experience and I have no idea why people use them.

I use https://weather.gc.ca/forecast/canad...x_e.html?id=AB. It's probably the one government dept that's not 100% incompetent. They're usually pretty close with their forecasts.
Old 05-19-2021, 07:03 PM

just for interest I spreadsheeted Accuweather vs Environment Canada for 3 one week forecasts and found Accuweather a bit more close to being accurate. If you have a small boat be very careful with both Crawling Valley and Newell. Both can get real ugly quickly and both have cost lives. I have come roaring off CV while being pelted with rain and hail even though the weather was beautiful when I went out.
Old 05-19-2021, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post

Best thing you can do in a bad storm is get close to shore like you did and putz around the outside back to the launch, or take cover like you did.
A big x2

The best I have come across. Once you get to know it you can find local traffic cameras, winds (obviously), and very detailed forecasts. Just pick the closest airport and it will give you weather data that the pilots rely on.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 05-19-2021, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post
A big x2

The best I have come across. Once you get to know it you can find local traffic cameras, winds (obviously), and very detailed forecasts. Just pick the closest airport and it will give you weather data that the pilots rely on.
My dad was in the aviation industry and when I showed him, he showed some westjet pilots that didn’t know about it and he said their minds were blown with the amount of data you can go through on that app.
Old 05-20-2021, 09:47 AM

Just checked out windy.com...wow! that's awesome! gonna see if there is an app for my phone. I agree about the weather forecast and what actually happens. Was on Newell last week - was supposed to be single digit winds but turned pretty rough for most of the day. Checked the weather network app and it still showed single digit winds. Luckily my boat is big enough to deal with big waves but still irritating to fish in.
Old 05-20-2021, 09:54 AM

Yes there is a phone app. I use it all the time, especially in Florida.
Old 05-22-2021, 11:04 AM

Smile Thanks for the Help!

Thank you!

I'll check these out for sure. Definitely need a new solution because the Weather Network consistently sucks!

Has blown some goose hunts on me (which is unfortunate) but much more serious to end up in a dangerous lake because they missed the forecast by a mile!

Thanks everyone.
Old 05-22-2021, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post

thank you for windy.com.
i have never even heard of this site .
Old 05-22-2021, 04:21 PM

I struggle with the same issue. Seems the marine forecasts are almost always wrong. Every time I’m thinking of fishing I use the following for my local waters.

Bureau of meteorology
Live wave rider buoy
Willysweather wind and swell forecast for the fad that’s 20 miles out in the area I want to fish
Then three apps;
Windy
Windfinder
PredictWind

Even then I still get surprised and rarely are the forecasts right. I’ve gone out on days that were supposed to have 4+ Meter swell and found it nearly calm and days it was supposed to be flat that had 2m wind chop. Pay attention on the water, know your capabilities and get off the water if it’s blowing up on you. Your fishing lakes which makes it easy
Old 05-22-2021, 05:19 PM

I usually use accuweather and have found it to be ok. Better than most. That being said, this thread has introduced me to windy. So far I’m loving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2021, 05:37 PM

https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/medicine_hat

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-22-2021, 07:49 PM

As said above, windy.com, if used properly it is great. There is an app as well
Old 05-23-2021, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo View Post
Just checked out windy.com...wow! that's awesome! gonna see if there is an app for my phone. I agree about the weather forecast and what actually happens. Was on Newell last week - was supposed to be single digit winds but turned pretty rough for most of the day. Checked the weather network app and it still showed single digit winds. Luckily my boat is big enough to deal with big waves but still irritating to fish in.
I use Windy as well and find it very accurate.

Yesterday morning the flags at Prairie Oasis were barely even fluttering in the wind but the lake was still rolling pretty good. It doesn't take much to get the waves going on that lake.

I learned my lesson about wind a few years ago on Chin. We were the only boat out there in October and the forecast said gusts to 30 when we left to go to the lake. It was fine out there for a while and then you could hear the wind pick up and see the waves coming down the lake. It went from a nice afternoon to 80k wind in less then 5 minutes. Checked the forecast when we finally made it back to the launch and the forecast had changed to 80-100 k gusts. It was fun trying to put the boat back on the trailer at a launch with no protection from the west wind. It was a good lesson to see what my equipment was capable of and what conditions I was comfortable in. I tend to not go out if the forecast is any more then 30k wind now though.

Last edited by Wes_G; 05-23-2021 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Thanks Piker, That one looks like a Keeper
Old 05-24-2021, 09:55 AM

been using wind finder for years pretty good most days for winds speed and direction,. it would be nice if it updated more often,
windy is an other app i use and u can see when the wind changes speed and direction on there map
very useful as to what end of the lake to launch your boat. and fish.
Old 05-24-2021, 01:14 PM

There are too much difference between different models in any of theses apps. Which model is accurate?
Old 05-24-2021, 03:12 PM

Remember - it is like GPS's

If you have one GPS you know exactly where you are. If you have two of them, you are never quite sure.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here