Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-16-2013, 05:49 AM

I was meaning the lee loader hand loading kits, $40 bucks lol
but I doubt the amount of accuracy when it is all by hand..
Old 04-16-2013, 06:03 AM

Buy factory ammo. Cheap stuff for practice and plinking. At minimum the hand dies are okay and will load decent ammo if you have the patience and hand strength but you must weigh your powder to get near accurate loads. Those little yellow scoops have way too much variance. Weigh 10 scoops on a scale you will see what I mean. Lee Hand set with decent used scales you can pick up for about $60 would get the job done.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yards View Post
I was meaning the lee loader hand loading kits, $40 bucks lol
but I doubt the amount of accuracy when it is all by hand..
The most accurate loading tools I have are hand dies.
I also have a 550B Dillon, but most of my stuff is done on a single stage press.
If you do 50 cases a stage at a time it goes pretty fast if you want volume.
However, I enjoy loading while at the range, and hand dies are a very simple way to do this. I use a Harrell or a Lyman measure to throw my charges, I don't worry about weiging each one if I am not shooting past 500 meters.

Cat
Old 04-16-2013, 06:22 AM

Well then this does sound like it will be perfect for me for now than!
Atleast until I am able to dedicate more time to it and at the range.
Thanks Dean and Cat!
Old 04-16-2013, 06:53 AM

Cat we need to be clear because 1000r is just starting out. The Harrel measure you are referring to for throwing unweighed charges is way different than using the yellow Lee spoons. That Harrel alone is worth over $200 and it and the Lyman 55, worth about $100, will measure within a tenth plus or minus very easily. Not true of the spoons. Get a scale to weigh the charges, even an inexpensive used bream scale will work just fine.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:07 AM

Hey I have a used rcbs beam scale for sale. $40. Well not really used I didn't like it so I replaced it immediately.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Cat we need to be clear because 1000r is just starting out. The Harrel measure you are referring to for throwing unweighed charges is way different than using the yellow Lee spoons. That Harrel alone is worth over $200 and it and the Lyman 55, worth about $100, will measure within a tenth plus or minus very easily. Not true of the spoons. Get a scale to weigh the charges, even an inexpensive used bream scale will work just fine.
I've used the scoops as well with some of my match rifles to see just how much difference it made, and they are very accurate if used properly.
A lyman 55 is not that expensive and also does a very good jub, yuou can often pick them up for about $50.
However a decent scale is a must , yes, to set up a measure .
Cat
Old 04-16-2013, 10:31 AM

Another thing that you can do is, and this is what I did, is wait until you find someone who is getting out of reloading or doing a major upgrade. I bought a whole pile of stuff and sold off what I didn't need. Ended up paying for itself in what I sold off.

You can often find RCBS 5-0-5 scales going for $40-50 on CGN. They are a good scale.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:37 AM

Cat and Cheeseburger have good advise. The spoons work ok and are actually decent, if you are consistent. You can verify this yourself with a scale as you measure, to see how consistent it is, and how much various shaking or leveling will throw you off. Although you can't really fine tune with them.

Concerning scales; you don't need to spend money on electronic. Nice to have and convenient, but always verify the accuracy before and after. A simple beam scale is very reliable. A cheap one will work as well

I like a beam just to verify my volumetric powder measure. Buy a good one of these. It is fast and accurate. Work the lever and get the same amount every time.

Lee stuff is good value for the money, and they make no secret of their tolerances. Some of the more expensive dies with locking rings are nice, but you will probably still want a Lee Factory Crimp or Collet Die.

Tumblers are totally unnecessary, messy, expensive and throw a lot of lead dust into the air. Some like em, but I could not be bothered.

For the record, a 1000 yard record was set using a Lee Hand Loader.

One thing that gets some use around my place is the Lee hand press. I have a Rock Chucker that is nice, and way overbuilt, but that flimsy looking little press works almost as well, and allows me to sit at the table (or TV) and churn out rounds. (Don't get distracted when measuring pistol powder!)

Buy lots of books, mainly reloading manuals.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:47 PM

Smile Lee hand loader

I've done that too, and it makes excellent ammo. I still have one in 06, e-bay has lots.

Just one point, no one has mentioned, it concerns stuck cases, they are way harder to get out of the hand lee loader than a press. Make sure you have read what the boys say about lubricating cases. If your chamber is a bit bigger than your loader this will slow you down.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:40 PM

I just got into reloading and all I can say what crappy timing I always seem to have. Can't find squat for powder. I have everything else I need becuase I got into it just before the shelves went bare but powder is tough to find at least in cow town. Stores are hoping that within a month or two they will get some reloading suplies.

Last edited by michaelmicallef; 04-16-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:20 PM

awesome info, thanks guys.
i'm thinking i may have to hold off for a bit till i have a little more time on my hands to get into it and really learn everything i can.
Schian
Old 04-16-2013, 05:25 PM

If you are going to hold off from starting to reload right away, I would suggest buying a couple reloading manuals and doing some reading to get your head in the game. It might be worth it to see if someone is willing to loan/sell you some older manuals. Anyone? I would loan you some if you lived in Calgary.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:10 PM

If anyone needs a selection of reloading books in electronic form, PM me, I have the following:
Hodgdon reloading 2002
Alliant Powders Reloaders Guide
VihtaVuuori Reloading Guide for Centerfires
Complete Guige to Handloading by Philip b Sharpe (1937)
Accurate Smokeless Powder (2003)
and a few other random ones
Old 04-17-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseBurger View Post
If you are going to hold off from starting to reload right away, I would suggest buying a couple reloading manuals and doing some reading to get your head in the game. It might be worth it to see if someone is willing to loan/sell you some older manuals. Anyone? I would loan you some if you lived in Calgary.
thats a great idea, i would love to get a few books and start doing some reading and learning...
if anyone has any they would be willing to give up/lend or sell for cheap let me know.

Schian
Old 04-17-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schian View Post
awesome info, thanks guys.
i'm thinking i may have to hold off for a bit till i have a little more time on my hands to get into it and really learn everything i can.
Schian
I've been wanting to get into reloading for years but haven't taken the plunge yet. It's pretty overwhelming starting to research with all the information out there. Plus, I'm not sure I shoot enough to make it worthwhile yet. I do save all my brass I use in anticipation for one day reloading.

Would be tough to pass up that deal at prophet river if I saw it in a store
Old 04-17-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
Thing about getting a single-brand reloading kit is that not every item in any brand's kit it necessarily the most functional tool for YOUR needs.

I have gear from RCBS, Lee, Hornady, Lyman, MTM because their tools suit my specific needs.
Very true but on a tight budget a kit is the best way to start. I to use RCBS Lyman Redding Lee etc. but to start a kit will do at a nice price.
Buy the kit and check components list before purchasing pocket cleaners and neck trimmers etc. Kit should have those. you will get a manual as well. Different kits will have different manuals.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallAirFever View Post
Wow! Nice gear list for sure, but a lot of coin for a guy on a budget.
I agree RCBS makes great gear, very smooth and over-built to last lifetimes, but expensive for a guy starting out.

I'd recommend you look at Lee, they make good equipment at a reasonable price. I started reloading with the Lee anniversary kit. The press and powder thrower are great, the scale is finicky to use but works. With the Lee kit, set of dies, calipers and a couple case prep tools you could start reloading for around 200 bucks.

Good luck
Buying it twice only adds to the cost.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Buying it twice only adds to the cost.
+1
Old 04-17-2013, 07:56 PM

Oddly enough the 'buying it twice costs more' argument doesn't hold water in other areas of human endeavour.

Look at how we build up manufacturing capacity, or a haul truck fleet for a mine. A new retail store doesn't start off in a 200,000 sq.ft. building. Westjet did not start off with the big planes they now have. Businesses invest capital to suit their short to medium term needs, so as to generate profit (more capital) with which to steadily grow their enterprise.

A guy starting off in reloading who wants to make 100 cartridges a year for his 30-06 doesn't need 'the best' gear. What he needs is affordable gear that works for him and his short to medium term needs.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Oddly enough the 'buying it twice costs more' argument doesn't hold water in other areas of human endeavour.

Look at how we build up manufacturing capacity, or a haul truck fleet for a mine. A new retail store doesn't start off in a 200,000 sq.ft. building. Westjet did not start off with the big planes they now have. Businesses invest capital to suit their short to medium term needs, so as to generate profit (more capital) with which to steadily grow their enterprise.

A guy starting off in reloading who wants to make 100 cartridges a year for his 30-06 doesn't need 'the best' gear. What he needs is affordable gear that works for him and his short to medium term needs.
Agreed. Kind of like not getting a car when you turn 16 cause it's not a Porsche. Don't need a $1000 progressive for a 1st press either. Not that I don't agree with "buy once, cry once", but sometimes it's just not needed.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:38 AM

check out the prices on Ebay as well , and natches add shipping to the price
Old 04-18-2013, 09:54 PM

fyi I just came back from BassPro and they've increased the price of 20 ga AA shotshells from $7.99 to $9.50 per box.

I calculated I can reload for 1/2 of that, but I have to buy bulk and ship it across the country to get a deal. If I buy components locally it is cheaper to buy factory shotshells, kinda makes you wonder why they even sell shotshell components in places like BassPro and Wholesale sports?

I wonder is rifle ammo is going to go up once they get more stock in?
Old 04-18-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:

Spending $400 on loading gear that will last you the rest of your life is hardly comparable to leasing a 200,000 square foot building, or buying a fleet of jet aircraft.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:37 PM

Fine. I just can't stand the 'go big or go home' mindset that pervades so many of the replies to threads started by new reloaders. I think we are doing them a disservice. But hey, why complain, this is the nature of the beast.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:49 PM

Check this out if you are close to Cabelas

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/3534/l...y-reloader-kit
Old 04-19-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Fine. I just can't stand the 'go big or go home' mindset that pervades so many of the replies to threads started by new reloaders. I think we are doing them a disservice. But hey, why complain, this is the nature of the beast.
It may be hard for you to understand the advice given may be from acquired experience. You can buy a Tasco scope, upgrade that to a Bushnell, then Nikon, Leupold, Weaver, Sightron, Nightforce etc. The money saved avoiding crap would of paid for the product that will do an excellent job for a lifetime. I think recommending Lee products to a new hand loader is a dis-service.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleJ View Post
It may be hard for you to understand the advice given may be from acquired experience. You can buy a Tasco scope, upgrade that to a Bushnell, then Nikon, Leupold, Weaver, Sightron, Nightforce etc. The money saved avoiding crap would of paid for the product that will do an excellent job for a lifetime. I think recommending Lee products to a new hand loader is a dis-service.
Not all lee equipment is low quality, and their warranty is as good as any others.

Cat
Old 04-19-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
I agree with you. I sure don't have the experiance of some reloaders here but have had a chance to use "value priced" Lee gear (Breech lock press, Perfect powder measure... stuff from the anniversary kit) and "Higer-end" stuff from RCBS (Uniflow powder thrower, 5-0-5 scale and RC press). If I were to go out tomorrow and buy myself new gear it would be Lee. I'd use the money saved to spend on bullets and powder (if I could find them lol.)

Lee reloading stuff works and has nice features and the ammo I have loaded on Lee gear is just as accurate as the stuff I have loaded on RCBS gear. I actually prefer the Lee press for its primer catcher when de-capping and the Lee powder thrower is easier to clean up when I am done and does not crunch my stick powders and is every bit as accurate my Uniflow.

I think its is a dis-service to tell new/casual reloaders, that they need a $300 electronic powder thrower, super heavy duty press that their great grand kids will be able to use and a $150 case prep center to get started.

My reloading mentor loads very accurate ammo of all descriptions on a "crappy" Lee turret press.

Some people are happy driving a Chev, some think their s#!t doesn't stink because they can afford to drive a Caddy.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:48 AM

Default Get a Kit then add to it over time

If you use your reloading tools allot or for a long time then better quality is best. If you use them occasionally then you can get away with poorer quality.

If you buy cheap you get cheap, and often have to replace them sooner rather than later... which makes your better tools even more expensive. I'd say the tools you use the most should be the better quality ones.... this goes pretty much for any tool not just reloading tools. It's the add-on reloading tools that increase the price of reloading. A kit gives you the best value.

There is also the component of the value of your time.... if you have lots of time you can use simple tools and keep your costs down. If you have less time better tools and more specialized tools will save you time by allowing you to create more ammo. in the same amount of time with fewer headaches.