Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-15-2008, 07:56 PM

Default hrs at work in a week

Just wondering how many hours an average guy works in a week? My last job was up and down being oil patch but just wondering what a non patch job demands out of a guy. Ive been trucking in patch for 6 years now and would like to find a job with weekends off or something.Is there such a thing for truckers.Oh ya it would be nice for hunting to .
Old 04-15-2008, 08:03 PM

Shift work is by far the best for hunting IMO. I work shift work and am able to hunt everyday no matter what shift I am on. Summer is busy as hell where 6 days a week isnt uncommon but in the winter it can slow down to 4 or 5 days a week depending on how much you want to work you could work 7 days a week.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:09 PM

Default work

4on 4 off steady dayshift 12hr. shift maintenance

truck drivers work 2 days 2nights 4 days off 12 hr. shift

48hrs. per set. take one set off = 12days off
Old 04-15-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
4on 4 off steady dayshift 12hr. shift maintenance
truck drivers work 2 days 2nights 4 days off 12 hr. shift
48hrs. per set. take one set off = 12days off

sounds good what do you do?
Old 04-15-2008, 08:32 PM

45 hours a week at titan - that anywhere from 18 to 20 at my hotshot runs on weekends.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:38 PM

Default work

work at a coal mine in elk valley always looking for truck drivers and trades people.trucks are 240ton haulage trucks,about the size of a 900sq.ft.house
Old 04-15-2008, 08:42 PM
stubblejumper

I work 4-10 hour days each week with every Friday Saturday and Sunday off.With 7 weeks of vacation as well,I have plenty of spare time for hunting or fishing.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:42 PM

4 on 4 off, it's great for hunting and fishing, no one out there during the week. Average about 47 hrs a week with the odd call in.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:46 PM

spurly what class of licence do you need and who do send a resume to.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:52 PM

Forty hours a week, ............from May 1st -Oct. 31st I work four tens (Mon. to Thurs.) with Fri., Sat. and Sun. off.
From Nov.1st - April 30st we switch back to Mon. - Fri. and 8 hr. days.
Gotta love having long weekends throughout the whole summer
Old 04-15-2008, 08:57 PM

Default work

just a regular drivers license,you are on private property so no special licence is required.you go to truck school for a week, then training with anothr driver for a week.they are easy to drive only forward and reverse. hardest part is getting used to the size.

Elk Valley Coal
Recruitment Centre
Sparwood BC.

NOT SURE ON POSTAL CODE
Old 04-15-2008, 09:19 PM

8-4 m-f, lots of overtime if needed
all of november and parts of sept off
relatively good pay, clean hands, no callouses, lite work
plant engineer/operator/plant maintenace
1.5 miles from my bedroom

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 04-15-2008, 09:35 PM

I'm supposed to be at work by 8:00, well the coffe pot goes on around that time, then I hang around, pretend to work a little or just look at the job, stand around and bullsh*t some more, go make some coffee for our hour and a half long coffee break, by then its time to leave early for lunch then come back late in time to make some more coffee, then go somewhere quiet and have a nap, wake up and go home early, really tiring job, sometimes so tiring I have to phone in the next day tell the boss I'm to tired to come to work that I should only have to work on paydays from 11 till noon and by the way its time for another pay raise again..........the stress is gettin to me. Anybody wanna hire me ....I got a lot of experience avoiding work and am generally pretty useless at everything.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
I'm supposed to be at work by 8:00, well the coffe pot goes on around that time, then I hang around, pretend to work a little or just look at the job, stand around and bullsh*t some more, go make some coffee for our hour and a half long coffee break, by then its time to leave early for lunch then come back late in time to make some more coffee, then go somewhere quiet and have a nap, wake up and go home early, really tiring job, sometimes so tiring I have to phone in the next day tell the boss I'm to tired to come to work that I should only have to work on paydays from 11 till noon and by the way its time for another pay raise again..........the stress is gettin to me. Anybody wanna hire me ....I got a lot of experience avoiding work and am generally pretty useless at everything.
Sounds like a union job...
Old 04-15-2008, 09:41 PM
-TROUT-

CN rail is looking for truck drivers everywhere.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:42 PM

70-100 hrs a week in winter 55-75 now...gotta love oil-field trucking....
Old 04-15-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck0039 View Post
Sounds like a union job...
Nope, worked for a union once and they fired me.....said they figured I should be on time and such. said i weren't allowed to wear pyjamas at work.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:40 PM

right now im working 5 on 2 off then goes to 4 on 3 off switches every other week, and have 8 weeks of holidays.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:44 PM

Quote:
SOUNDS LIKE A GOVERNMENT JOB PERHAPS MR MORTON'S RIGHT HAND MAN
Old 04-16-2008, 12:13 AM

Default Bushrats job..

Not allowed to read the paper in the morning or you will have nothing to do all afternoon.. I'm the boss, grunt and chief bottle washer..70-80 hrs. per week 7 days per week, occational day off when I finally get fed up. and fall is the busiest time of the year manage only a few days to hunt, i try to take two weks vacation each year but ussually end up going into work or answering my cell phone the whole time. Some days I wonder why I don't get a Job and slow down a BIT..
Old 04-16-2008, 12:19 AM

Well it's gonna be 12 hr days for about 6 weeks or so then off for maybe a month , not real sure yet just starting with a different company so gotta see how it goes, if it don't work out i will have to see if the 28/28 one is still up for grabs.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Try TransAlta Utilities, lots of guys just like you there!

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 04-16-2008, 06:17 AM

I work a 40 hour schedule, but I generally put in about 60 hours.
I'm on a salary contract, and my cell is on 24/7.
The upside is I drive a supplied truck and don't pay for fuel, and some other fringe benifets that are not calculated in!
Cat
Old 04-16-2008, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinawalli View Post
Try TransAlta Utilities, lots of guys just like you there!

Not in Hydro my friend.
Supposed to be 40hr/wk, Standby every 4th week,(that means 6 days per week)(Unless your from the Bow Valley then it's every 5 or 6 weeks including Bighorn) that's if we have full staff, and if we ar'nt doing a shift at the Bighorn. Usually on the standby list 17 or 18 weeks out of the year.

There are no absolutes
Old 04-16-2008, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600twin View Post
Well it's gonna be 12 hr days for about 6 weeks or so then off for maybe a month , not real sure yet just starting with a different company so gotta see how it goes, if it don't work out i will have to see if the 28/28 one is still up for grabs.
What & where ?
Need an extra hand ?
Old 04-16-2008, 08:32 AM

120-140 hrs per week from May 1 unti July 15 driving around some of the best hunting country around. Take the rest of the year to hunt, trap, fish and raise my younguns.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:44 AM
willy11

4 on, 2 off, 4 on, 6 off, works out to be 48 a week with 2-6 days off periods per month, awesome schedule for outdoor stuff. Work about 14 days a month.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:14 AM

April - October 40 hr week sort of
November-March all off

Bobby B.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:16 AM

teach school.....8-3 mon-friday. weekends off, all holidays off....pay aint the best...but good benefits.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:26 AM

2 weeks in and 2 weeks out, hrs per week= 70-120, work in the ladyfern area of bc, and alberta, when things are slow we shoot skeet, hunt bear and moose when seasons are open, 40 octillion square miles of quad country, when that gets boring we fire up the helicopter