Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 02:31 AM

Default Feelings about outfitters

I just got off hunt BC website. I have read posts on it a few times and it seems that many resident hunters despise Guide Outfitters and any non resident hunter. I even read some posts including Albertans in the group. I have read our Alberta outdoosman forum many times and don't get the same vibe. My question is... How do Albertans feel about Guide outfitters and non resident hunters, including other canadian citizens that don't reside in our province?
Old 04-16-2011, 05:04 AM

its a little hazy to me , i rarely big game hunt or i just like to go along with other hunters,varmints are my specialty, but it seems retarded. when i was working in bc,i think i just needed to get a varmint license/tag,but im not sure anymore if i needed a guide as well,its retarded a guide for coyotes! i am a coyte guide. and arent i a canadian citizen? i think any canadian should be fine to go and hunt any province they want,rules may be different and youd have to follow them, foreigners are one thing ,whats next papers and checkpoints along are provincial borders? needing a guide to go to my province where i was raised to hunt a deer imho seems stupid, should just have to buy the tag and thats it, thats BC for you ,Bring Cash should be the name of her
Old 04-16-2011, 05:10 AM
Rancher_49

Default Outfitters

I have been a sheep guide for many years and the most common hegative thing
I hear is that "Those outfitters get all the rams".
They do not get all the rams but have better success than resident hunters because they have to equipment, horses etc. and have two weeks to hunt. Most
resident hunters can't take two weeks away from their job and it's pretty hit and miss to get a ram on a weekend.
I have met some outfitters that were just downright unsociable but on the whole
the ones that I have worked for are a good bunch of guys and always have the
coffee on for a visitor.
For me, it has been a great life doing what I love and getting paid for it.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:52 AM

I had a guide and his 3 American clients help me out big time out of a jam one cold Nov. nite out hunting by myself in Northern Alberta. I would of been screwed without their help. So I ain't going to say nothing bad. hehehe

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com

Last edited by honda450; 04-16-2011 at 05:57 AM. Reason: speling
Old 04-16-2011, 06:26 AM

being a guide/outfitter for your job though would be awesome,so i dont know if bc is just trying to create jobs or what
Old 04-16-2011, 06:47 AM

-I think guides and outfitters offer a valuable service if you can afford it and or require it. I personally, choose not to utilize them because, to me, it is an assisted hunt and I prefer to do it on my own. The accomplishment of harvesting an animal without a guide is what I am looking for.
-I do believe that if resident tag numbers were to be cut in an area that Outfitter tags must also be reduce proportionally.
-The fact that a Dall Sheep tag in the Yukon would cost me as much as a guy from the States or Europe really ticks me off. This however is a government issue, not an outfitter issue.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:22 AM

I hunted for several years in various locations in Alberta, and still go back for a 4-5 day trip every year. I have actually never met anyone who identified themselves as a guide/client. I have met many other hunters, sat around the campfire at night and traded lies with many other hunters, but have never had a bad run-in with a guide.

Now here in BC I run into a guide/client 3-4 times a year and most are not happy to see you and 90% of the time are very rude and tell you to leave. They take an ownership of the area, I have been threatened a couple times, once with the assistant guide tapping his rifle as he told me I should leave because they had guns..

I could care less about their success rate it needs to be better than mine, its a business selling a product. However I do not like the attitude that they own the area and you have no right to be there. Here in the East Kootenays most of the guides cabins and area's are located within motor vehicle closures, which reduces hunting pressure, but if you walk or ride a bike in they are not impressed to see anyone within their area.

I would think everyone would have different feelings on the guiding issues depending on what the guides in the area they hunt are like. I have had enough bad run-ins that it has ruined my view of the industry here.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
I just got off hunt BC website. I have read posts on it a few times and it seems that many resident hunters despise Guide Outfitters and any non resident hunter. I even read some posts including Albertans in the group. I have read our Alberta outdoosman forum many times and don't get the same vibe. My question is... How do Albertans feel about Guide outfitters and non resident hunters, including other canadian citizens that don't reside in our province?
I have nothing against the hunters that want to come to Alberta to hunt. If I didn't live here I would probably want the opportunity to hunt here too. I don't like the fact that they can do it year after year while residents wait so long for tags.

As for guide outfitters, they are businesses and will always push for a bigger piece of the pie. The large $ investments for allocations can push them to aggressive tactics and questionable practices. I don't doubt outfitters bring in alot of revenue but do question how much of that $ actually benefits us. The small centers where guide operations are based see very little ecomomic benefit.

I would like to see tag allocations phazed out. Outfitters should only be a service industry with no say in who gets the tags. I think anyone coming from outside the province should be hunting only in general tag areas & only on crown land. Non res hunters should also have to enter a draw system in those general areas. If a hunter gets drawn, then they can book an outfitter/guide. Access to private land is becoming harder all the time for residents. Removing private land from guiding operations would largely rid us of the paid access issues.

Well that's my opinion on it. My only stake in this issue is to keep hunting opportunities of Alberta residents from becoming any less.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:20 PM

I have no problems with outfitting being done ethically.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:40 AM

Default Untamed Feast

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum, i signed on because I see that a lot of hunters are interested in which wild mushrooms they can safely pick to eat with their wild game, as they find them in the bush. My livelyhood is in the harvesting and selling of wild mushrooms, I post many videos on how to identify and find them. If you have any questions regarding wild mushrooms, please feel free to contact me, or visit my website. You can also go to my youtube channel and see many videos on harvesting these mushrooms in the wild. try searching youtube for "Untamed Feast"
I am not looking for your business, just wish to help you enjoy the mushrooms you are walking over as you hunt.
a sincear outdoorsman,
Also, how do I start a forum on this topic......would have done that rather than intrude on this thread, couldnt figure out how to start a fresh one.
Eric
Old 12-28-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Also, how do I start a forum on this topic......would have done that rather than intrude on this thread, couldnt figure out how to start a fresh one.
Go to General Discussion, then click on New Thread at the top left. I would copy and paste your post there,and delete your post on this thread, since it has nothing to do with this thread.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
Sure, sure and so were we!
Ya Rich you have been smoking something if you really think I would EVER buy a tag.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk Dog View Post
Not real sure what your point was or what point you proved. I believe everyones reaction was to your comments regarding buying a tag, not actually to the concept of buying a tag.
What is different from a non resident buying a tag??? It is ok to do so according to 98% of people. But when I post I want to (to see the reaction)buy a tag wow. You all come unglued. I proved my point. We all really think that the system is crap and wrong. I just find it funny how a non res can buy a tag but a resident can't. Either way I DO NOT agree with this and NEVER will. I don't have a problem if non residents had to draw a tag and then find an outfitter as that is fair. Most of the states do that so why don't we???? Get my point now???
Old 12-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Banned

I think everyone can agree that there is a problem when a non-res alien (even ones that are convicted for wildlife infractions) can hunt a mule deer every year, when a res has to be drawn and hunt every 3-5 years. I don't think a res is allowed to purchase a tag from an outfitter every year. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I don't think a res is allowed to purchase a tag from an outfitter every year.
An Alberta resident is not allowed to use an outfitter allocation, so an Alberta resident can actually hunt less often in Alberta than a non resident can.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.C View Post
What is different from a non resident buying a tag??? It is ok to do so according to 98% of people. But when I post I want to (to see the reaction)buy a tag wow. You all come unglued. I proved my point. We all really think that the system is crap and wrong. I just find it funny how a non res can buy a tag but a resident can't. Either way I DO NOT agree with this and NEVER will. I don't have a problem if non residents had to draw a tag and then find an outfitter as that is fair. Most of the states do that so why don't we???? Get my point now???
Let me say it again - the reaction was not to the concept of buying a tag or not. It was a reaction to YOU stating you would buy a tag as that contradicted your prior posts. Somehow it seems everyone, myself included, missed your attempt at humour I guess. No doubt you sometimes have some good points, you just have a difficult time in expressing them clearly.

As for how other states run their non resident hunting opportunities you should brush up on that. There are a number of different ways it is handled, including the way you outlined. Bet you didn't realize there are states where you can get a tag and don't even need an outfitter or host.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk Dog View Post
Let me say it again - the reaction was not to the concept of buying a tag or not. It was a reaction to YOU stating you would buy a tag as that contradicted your prior posts. Somehow it seems everyone, myself included, missed your attempt at humour I guess. No doubt you sometimes have some good points, you just have a difficult time in expressing them clearly.

As for how other states run their non resident hunting opportunities you should brush up on that. There are a number of different ways it is handled, including the way you outlined. Bet you didn't realize there are states where you can get a tag and don't even need an outfitter or host.
You are rite I do have a hard time on explaining on the computer. I never said I knew everything about the states I just know the real good one I have checked out that is how they do it.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:37 PM

Outfitters have every right to do what they do. Unless its unethical or illegal and then they are held to the same rules and regulations we all are. I wish I was good enough to outfit. I think most people are just jealous that they can't do it are not that food and that's were the issue comes in. My 2 cents

Old 12-28-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition101 View Post
Outfitters have every right to do what they do. Unless its unethical or illegal and then they are held to the same rules and regulations we all are. I wish I was good enough to outfit. I think most people are just jealous that they can't do it are not that food and that's were the issue comes in. My 2 cents
Or some of us view the system as it is corrupt and won't join in taking away our fellow residen't opportunities.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j m View Post
Or some of us view the system as it is corrupt and won't join in taking away our fellow residen't opportunities.
You are such a one track mind buddy.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:08 PM

You don't have to explain yourself to anyone gunslinger. The individuals you're going back and forth with are so wrapped up in their own self pity and loathing that they want to bring you and anyone else who's perceived to be successful down to their level.

It's pitiful.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
You are such a one track mind buddy.
When it comes to outfitting, yes.
Closed Thread