Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-11-2024, 07:47 PM

Default drilling your own water well

Curious. Can a person drill their own water well on their own farmland in Alberta? I inherited a failing rotory rig and have a bunch of drilling/service rig buddies. Can I drill a well for my own use on the farm? Partially because I could use a hydrant by my shop but also it will be easier to sell the rig if I know it is functional. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2024, 09:15 PM

If I was you I would delete this instantly, time how often my neighbours drive by and get to work in the open windows you have....
Old 04-11-2024, 09:16 PM

How would anybody know what you are doing?
A professional well driller i believe is supposed to report the well. How deep,how many gallons per minute,etc
I'm trying to remember but I think all the well info is available on line but when I looked into it years ago the info was useless because it doesn't tell you the water quality of your neighbor's wells.
In my are water everywhere but most is no good.
You have to case off the bad water which drives up costs. You would have to go atleast 300 feet to have a chance so with casing it off you could easily spend a fortune and not get usable water
Old 04-11-2024, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
How would anybody know what you are doing?
A professional well driller i believe is supposed to report the well. How deep,how many gallons per minute,etc
I'm trying to remember but I think all the well info is available on line but when I looked into it years ago the info was useless because it doesn't tell you the water quality of your neighbor's wells.
In my are water everywhere but most is no good.
You have to case off the bad water which drives up costs. You would have to go atleast 300 feet to have a chance so with casing it off you could easily spend a fortune and not get usable water
Ya but like how much fun could it be?
Old 04-11-2024, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddawg View Post
Ya but like how much fun could it be?
And if you're lucky, you might have your own private gas well.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 04-11-2024, 09:33 PM

There are a lot of unregistered wells in Alberta. I'm sure certified drillers have to report, but it can take months for Ab gov't to get them on the website.

I am sure an "old" existing well can be grandfathered in.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 04-11-2024, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
And if you're lucky, you might have your own private gas well.
Yup. Depending what side of Lacombe he’s on I’m pretty sure east of there was some pretty heavy CBM activity so he might just get that.
Old 04-11-2024, 10:45 PM

Bring it out to my land and give it a whirl. I wont tell anyone and ill have fun with you doing it.

Is it actually illegal to drill your own water well?
Old 04-12-2024, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManitobaSlim View Post
Is it actually illegal to drill your own water well?
In Alberta, only a licensed water well contractor who holds a current Approval to Drill Water Wells from Alberta Environment and Parks can drill a water well.

From: https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/9f79...ll-2019-08.pdf
Old 04-12-2024, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
In Alberta, only a licensed water well contractor who holds a current Approval to Drill Water Wells from Alberta Environment and Parks can drill a water well.

From: https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/9f79...ll-2019-08.pdf
What about a real deep fence-post hole? 🤔
Old 04-12-2024, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Or just drilling for the sake of drilling?
Old 04-12-2024, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post

Drill a whole bunch for aerating your yard… have fun while it lasts….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2024, 07:28 AM

The danger is for ground water contamination. Example you drill 40 feet and get bad water but keep drilling and hit good water at 300 feet. The bad water at forty feet will contaminate the good water at three hundred feet.
How registering a well prevents this I do not know.
Out in BC the NDP wack jobs are going after private wells that they know about so the registration with a bad government court go against you.
The next thing sounds like tin foil hat crowd but I know that atleast one MD that spent a lot of money on spy satellite to keep an eye on what people are doing in MD. Its like Google earth bit more up close and its spooky as can be because you or anyone can access it on their website and zoom in on whoever's property you want and you can definitely see everyone and everything on property. You couldn't make out individuals but you could sure tell how many people and what brand of trucks,etc.
MD does all this without any mandate or even a discussion. We know more . You sheep don't need to bother thinking about what we do.
Old 04-12-2024, 07:36 AM

Some knowledge of artesian groundwater flows, pressures, and geological conditions within are a valuable assett......before you start rotating. If you know nothing about controlling a high pressure flowing hole you got big trouble.
Old 04-12-2024, 10:03 AM

Not to side track this conversation but i am very curious what MD your talking about?

Quote:
The danger is for ground water contamination. Example you drill 40 feet and get bad water but keep drilling and hit good water at 300 feet. The bad water at forty feet will contaminate the good water at three hundred feet.
Out in BC the NDP wack jobs are going after private wells that they know about so the registration with a bad government court go against you.
The next thing sounds like tin foil hat crowd but I know that atleast one MD that spent a lot of money on spy satellite to keep an eye on what people are doing in MD. Its like Google earth bit more up close and its spooky as can be because you or anyone can access it on their website and zoom in on whoever's property you want and you can definitely see everyone and everything on property. You couldn't make out individuals but you could sure tell how many people and what brand of trucks,etc.
MD does all this without any mandate or even a discussion. We know more . You sheep don't need to bother thinking about what we do.
Old 04-12-2024, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManitobaSlim View Post
Not to side track this conversation but i am very curious what MD your talking about?
Willow creek MD
I had heard about. Did not believe it. Then a Reeve told me about it. Then I was checking MD website for road closures for trucking and stumbled on it.
Old 04-12-2024, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Willow creek MD
I had heard about. Did not believe it. Then a Reeve told me about it. Then I was checking MD website for road closures for trucking and stumbled on it.
Woah, that's the kind of resolution you normally only get on high tourist sites like the Parthenon. You could see a dog in someone's yard. Interesting some sections are clearer than others, more definition. Creepy.
Old 04-12-2024, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Some MDs have been using satellite images and drones to generate more tax revenue for years. The one time investment generates permanent residual returns in increased taxation per property.
It was discussed here in 2017:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=312749

https://www.threehillscapital.com/yo...nty-landowners

And again in 2018:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=415443

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 04-12-2024, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
Some MDs have been using satellite images and drones to generate more tax revenue for years. The one time investment generates permanent residual returns in increased taxation per property.
It was discussed here in 2017:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=312749

https://www.threehillscapital.com/yo...nty-landowners

And again in 2018:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=415443
Yeah they lost their oil and gas revenue and they could never ever consider cutting their spending. They need more farm cops out there in Interceptor Armored Cruisers writing tickets and more windmill and solar farms to tax.
The only time my roads see a grader is in the summer time. Chinooks will clear snow eventually