Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-17-2022, 06:07 PM

Default Mountain Mule Deer Part 3

I could only get out for a couple of day hunts closer to home for the next two weekends. Of course just after elk season ended I see a legal bull, I really nice 6x7. Not too far off a logging road where even being solo I would have shot him. I was glassing a steep meadow for mule deer when a herd of about 20 passed right below me and started feeding. The bull was only 75m away, broadside. Not a clue I was there. Not sure why that always to be my luck with elk. I saw one really nice white-tailed buck but he was already waving his flag at me by the time I realized he was there. Looked to be a wide tall 5 or 6 point.

Lots of mule deer does and a number of three point bucks. And one really wide heavy two point that when I first saw him I thought here we go. He was facing me at about 60m and he was out way past his ears both in width and in height. I was astounded when he turned and he was just a two point. I'm not sure my hands would have gone around his bases. I have pretty big hands. And a huge body, he was definitely a mature buck. Not legal though.

I did get up to my camp for one final overnight trip the last weekend of October. I felt sure it was going to happen then. The rut was just starting, there were dozens of does. Not a single legal buck, at least 12 bucks. Three points, two points, spikes, not a four point to be had. I hit the timber and went higher than I've ever been. I was finding big tracks, beds, rubs, just no mature bucks. I think if I could have taken the Friday and the Monday off and had four days up there I could have made it happen. As it was all I had was what left of Saturday after I'd hiked in and set up camp and part of Sunday. I felt rushed. That might go a long ways explaining why I wasn't seeing mature deer. I couldn't settle, my glassing seemed unfocused, I couldn't sit for long, I wasn't relaxed. Anyhow it was still a good trip, really wished I'd brought my little 20g/22wmr folding gun, I saw more blue grouse then I've ever seen in two days.

I took Friday November 5th off work and hiked in to the closure for a long day hunt, it had gotten really cold and I knew everything was going to freeze, solid frozen water bottles, filter. I need to get a small tipi tent with a stove for those late season hunts. My sleeping bag does it's job but solid water is difficult to deal with. While up there I bumped the biggest mule deer I have ever seen. I was doing everything right and he didn't spook he just got uncomfortable.

I saw the antlers above the regrowth from the side. Deep forks, he turned his head, really wide. And that's all saw of him as he slowly walked away, as in two steps and he disappeared over the knoll I was climbing. I followed his tracks all day. Very slowly and carefully. I'd find a bed, follow tracks find where he'd rubbed, follow tracks. All day. Until it was time to go. I really regretted not having my camp set up a couple of kilometers away.

Saturday the 6th finds me right back there again. I hate hiking up that mountain twice in one weekend. I know it's good for me, it keeps me healthy and alive. I'm 52 now though so I'm pretty sure one of these years it's going to kill me. I'm actually alright with that though, couldn't think of a better way to go.

I get up to the bottom of where I'm really going to start climbing and as I'm scanning the mountainside above me plotting my route, I see him. There can't be two deer that caliber on this hill, he's at the top 800m away disappearing into almost the exact same patch of timber. Very slowly I move up the mountain after him. Every couple of steps seems to reveal new folds and sightlines. It's slow going, I don't want to screw this up. About an hour and a half into this I get to the bottom of the big opening that I first saw him on. As I'm skirting the edge to west I decide to find a point where I can see the whole meadow and into the ridge where I think he is.

I had just gotten my pack off, and was just clearing a bit of snow from the base of the tree where I'd decided to dit and watch from when I saw quick movement coming down the mountain. It's a buck, a legal buck, 65m away. It's not him though. He's still up there. I have never been able to resist filling the freezer when the opportunity presents itself. It was the last weekend of the season, I had one more day to hunt. I couldn't pass.

My freezer was low. One day maybe I'll be able to pass on a legal buck, but that late in the season, it's hard to imagine. One shot and that was it, he skidded down the mountain about 50 or 60m. Now it was just a matter of getting him the 800m down to where I could get my cart to and 5 or 6km down to the truck. I swear it gets harder every year. Next year I can seen myself deboning him on the spot.

I get him gutted and skidded down to the trail where I break him partially down to make him easier to fit on my cart. Down the mountain I go. He's not a huge trophy antler wise, he is one of the heaviest deer I have ever shot. When I butchered him I got 103lbs of bonedvout meat, not including the liver, heart, and tongue. I worked hard for him, put in some miles, he's much appreciated in my freezer.

For those interested some of the gear used on this hunt included a Tikka T3 ss in 270win, Vortex range finding binoculars, Mec Spark 2 tent, Mec down sleeping bag, Havalon piranta knife, Scarpa Kinesis gtx boots, Primus ti stove, and my trusty old Serratus a 26year old Canadian made pack that is dire need of replacing. The game cart is from Cabellas with lots of mods by me. Game bags are just old cotton pillow cases I get cheap at the local thrift shop. Anyhow thanks for following along on this seasons adventures. Good luck out there and stay safe.

Sent from my SM-A125W using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2022, 06:26 PM

Wow great write up! I really the appreciate guys who take time out of their day to write up multiple pages of details about their hunt. Very nice photos too!!
Congrats on the buck and a wonderful hunt.
Old 04-17-2022, 08:38 PM

Awesome write up & pics. Makes great memories re-living the adventures. Thanks for sharing!!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 04-17-2022, 11:54 PM

Well done, and many thanks!
Old 04-18-2022, 10:12 AM

That sounds like a great hunt, super rewarding and the freezer filled. Congrats and thanks for sharing your hunt and pictures. This is the reason I keep coming back to this forum.

DR
Old 04-18-2022, 11:59 AM

Great write up. Thanks for taking the time to pull this together and congratulations on a great season.
Old 04-18-2022, 02:54 PM

Thanks for sharing. It’s a nice surprise to read a hunting story in April!
Old 04-18-2022, 02:58 PM

Hunting mountain mule deer in late November was my second favourite hunt to moose hunting in September.

Spot and stalk were the best with a bit of snow for a back drop. Thanks for posting and sharing your story with us.

BW
Old 04-18-2022, 04:11 PM

Enjoyed reading your story! Congratulations on your hard-earned buck!
Old 04-20-2022, 08:36 PM

Thanks enjoyed your story. Hoping you can get the big guy next time. Having only hunted Sask i sure enjoyed the pictures.Would love to hunt the mountains one day.
Old 04-21-2022, 03:43 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Enjoyed the write up, pics too, well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-21-2022, 08:49 PM

Excellent adventure.Good for you for putting in the time and effort.I used to mumble climbing coulee hills searching for mule deer but know what it must take to make that happen.Hope you stay healthy and your adventures reward you always.
Old 04-21-2022, 09:30 PM

Pure awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2022, 11:19 PM

Goodway to end the season even thou you didn't get the one you where after. Thanks for the write up and pictures.
Old 04-23-2022, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Hunting mountain mule deer in late November was my second favourite hunt to moose hunting in September.

Spot and stalk were the best with a bit of snow for a back drop. Thanks for posting and sharing your story with us.

BW
Hunting mule deer in the mountains is my favourite hunt, hands down. Hunting them has taken me into some of the most scenic areas I have ever hiked. I love where they live. I've yet to take a truly giant buck, my best might score 160(I've never had it scored and never bothered to learn how). I find it's a lot more about the hunt, the adventure of it, solo backpacking in the mountains. Being comfortable with being uncomfortable, cold, wet, tired, sore, discouraged. Then all that drops away, you've just spotted a legal buck within range. It just doesn't get any better than that.

Sent from my SM-A125W using Tapatalk