Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 09:42 PM

Default Access to leased grasing land denied but is this bogus??

So on a recent antelope hunt down south I attempted to contact a few lease holders to obtain access permission. One particular lease holder controls massive amounts of leased grazing land, conservatively he has lease rites to over well over 20 square miles, maybe even more. Anyway I phoned him and he said he was not going to give out permission over the phone, but I was to come to the ranch door and he could then explain to me where his cattle were and what areas to avoid. I said thanks and I will see you Sunday morning.

However when I got there he told me that due to large hunter numbers he was cutting off permission to any further access!

My question is this, is this even legit!!! If so at what number does he use? 100? 10? 5, his brother-in-law only??

With over 20 square miles of space how can this be justified? In the entire time I was there I never saw a single hunter on his leased land. I did see a few cattle in a few spots but there was no way the entire leased lands were occupied by cattle.

Here is a guy who holds the lease to a very large trac of land, does not own a teaspoon of it and yet denies access to it because in his opinion hunter densities were too large.
Is this a bogus or legit reason???
Old 10-20-2017, 10:08 PM
Banned

God the leased land threads are annoying
Old 10-20-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
God the leased land threads are annoying
So don't read them!!!!!!!
Old 10-20-2017, 10:18 PM

Default Leases

I hear you, its bogus alright. Something has to change with this system.

I have been in 3 lease auctions and the rules are explained very clearly to the bidders prior to the start. Recreational access is not to be denied, it is to be encouraged.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:29 PM
Banned

You have been on this site for years and must know there are probably over 100 posts on this exact topic already........just do a search. I do agree with slicktricker this topic has to get the most whining each year, and there is probably more information on it than almost anything else.........just do a search.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
You have been on this site for years and must know there are probably over 100 posts on this exact topic already........just do a search. I do agree with slicktricker this topic has to get the most whining each year, and there is probably more information on it than almost anything else.........just do a search.
It should be asked again and again. The more traction it gets the more likelihood it’ll get fixed. We have people treating public land like private. End of story. Doesn’t matter if they fence it, corral it, clean the garbage up it is still public. It’s a old system, rife with chronyism!
Old 10-20-2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
It should be asked again and again. The more traction it gets the more likelihood it’ll get fixed. We have people treating public land like private. End of story. Doesn’t matter if they fence it, corral it, clean the garbage up it is still public. It’s a old system, rife with chronyism!
If there is a fire ban on (which there is in 102) access can be denied.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2017, 11:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
It should be asked again and again. The more traction it gets the more likelihood it’ll get fixed. We have people treating public land like private. End of story. Doesn’t matter if they fence it, corral it, clean the garbage up it is still public. It’s a old system, rife with cronyism!
Complaining on here about lease access isn't traction, talking or writing to MLA, Minister or the Lease Manager is traction.......on here it is just a whine.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:53 PM

Unless specified in the conditions of the lease, the leaseholder cannot impose a limit on the amount of hunters on the land.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Complaining on here about lease access isn't traction, talking or writing to MLA, Minister or the Lease Manager is traction.......on here it is just a whine.
Perhaps a search was in order, to tell the truth I never thought of it, this was the first time I asked for permission on any lease and my experience I thought was more unique then it obviously was. But I really did want to hear if others had been given the same reason and if it was a legit reason... period!! I don't read every post and cannot remember reading anything on the subject, I usually bypass topics I have no interest in.

Now that I know that this is not a valid access denial or the intended use of public lands I will take your advice on contacting proper authorities no matter how facesious it was presented. But I assure you my intention was not to whine but to share information, which I believe is the purpose of this forum.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Anytime a conversation takes place creates traction. Don’t read the post if you don’t like it. You are your own man.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:43 AM

Grazing lease threads are some of the fastest to go downhill. Each side is convinced of their righteousness. Some commenters have experienced the countless underhanded and occasionally illegal tactics leaseholders use to keep recreational users out. Others have seen what kind of garbage and destruction show up everywhere land is freely usable in this province and want to spare leaseholders the burden.

The leaseholders that break the rules win the same way people like them win in every walk of life. It's more enjoyable to do something else rather than spend your time in confrontation with them while seeking bureacratic recourse. If you decide to fight the good fight this is how it's done:

http://aep.alberta.ca/recreation-pub...litation.aspx#

And the contact list to find the relevant person to call:
http://aep.alberta.ca/about-us/conta...-contacts.aspx
Old 10-21-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peebles View Post
Grazing lease threads are some of the fastest to go downhill. Each side is convinced of their righteousness. Some commenters have experienced the countless underhanded and occasionally illegal tactics leaseholders use to keep recreational users out. Others have seen what kind of garbage and destruction show up everywhere land is freely usable in this province and want to spare leaseholders the burden.

The leaseholders that break the rules win the same way people like them win in every walk of life. It's more enjoyable to do something else rather than spend your time in confrontation with them while seeking bureacratic recourse. If you decide to fight the good fight this is how it's done:

http://aep.alberta.ca/recreation-pub...litation.aspx#

And the contact list to find the relevant person to call:
http://aep.alberta.ca/about-us/conta...-contacts.aspx
Thanks so much this is exactly what I was looking for!!!
Old 10-21-2017, 01:27 PM

The iHunter app contains all the access conditions, often there are hunter limits. This might be a starting place to determine if the lease holder is adding his own conditions
Old 10-21-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical-Extreme View Post
If there is a fire ban on (which there is in 102) access can be denied.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
BINGO!!!! We have a winner.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Yup and the lease holders pay for the land they lease as well, do you?
Old 10-21-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Yes they do pay but a subsidized rate compared to privately held grazing land.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:46 PM
Banned

Of all the fires this year, did hunters start any of them?
Old 10-21-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Of all the fires this year, did hunters start any of them?
What does that have to do with anything?
Old 10-21-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmc View Post
Yes they do pay but a subsidized rate compared to privately held grazing land.
Do you as a recreational user pay to use the land?
Old 10-21-2017, 03:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
What does that have to do with anything?

Old 10-21-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Do recreational users make money off the land?
Old 10-21-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Indirectly, because of the subsidized rate on public lease land there is less money in the public coffers.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Sure do, some percentage off of the 40% that comes off every check. And if the leaseholder didn’t make money, they wouldn’t be doing it. This isn’t some altruistic, saving the environment endeavour. It’s profit driven, every fence added is for that. And should the leaseholder be responsible for the damage the cattle cause? It’s a give and take, and we have to monitor the give and the take!
Old 10-21-2017, 04:04 PM

Default Grl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbaj View Post
So on a recent antelope hunt down south I attempted to contact a few lease holders to obtain access permission. One particular lease holder controls massive amounts of leased grazing land, conservatively he has lease rites to over well over 20 square miles, maybe even more. Anyway I phoned him and he said he was not going to give out permission over the phone, but I was to come to the ranch door and he could then explain to me where his cattle were and what areas to avoid. I said thanks and I will see you Sunday morning.

However when I got there he told me that due to large hunter numbers he was cutting off permission to any further access!

My question is this, is this even legit!!! If so at what number does he use? 100? 10? 5, his brother-in-law only??

With over 20 square miles of space how can this be justified? In the entire time I was there I never saw a single hunter on his leased land. I did see a few cattle in a few spots but there was no way the entire leased lands were occupied by cattle.

Here is a guy who holds the lease to a very large trac of land, does not own a teaspoon of it and yet denies access to it because in his opinion hunter densities were too large.
Is this a bogus or legit reason???
I had the same problem accessing elsewere ...1 st the person said he has cattle on it, then gave me a week when cattle will be off the lease. Then says there are many hunters who are waiting to access too... so i just said give me a day when there is no hunters on it then... and im still waiting... i would suggest callimg the settlement officer for that area.... i think us hunters need some kind of system to know where a specific tag was drawn and know were there going to hunt so we know if the GRL Holder is all Bull ****ing all hunters... we all need to be on the same page... or they need to change the Alberta GRL rules to access. Ownly foot access on all GRL with out contact.... its Canadian Land... we should be able to hunt GRL n Crown.

Last edited by AlbertaWild; 10-21-2017 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:20 PM

That's the problem with the younger generation. They all think that it is there god given right to have everything, and if I don't get it I'm going to pi$$ and moan until I get what I want. There are a lot of careless slobs out there that think they can do whatever they want.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaWild View Post
I had the same problem accessing elsewere ...1 st the person said he has cattle on it, then gave me a week when cattle will be off the lease. Then says there are many hunters who are waiting to access too... so i just said give me a day when there is no hunters on it then... and im still waiting... i would suggest callimg the settlement officer for that area.... i think us hunters need some kind of system to know where a specific tag was drawn and know were there going to hunt so we know if the GRL Holder is all Bull ****ing all hunters... we all need to be on the same page... or they need to change the Alberta GRL rules to access. Ownly foot access on all GRL with out contact.... its Canadian Land... we should be able to hunt GRL n Crown.
It's actually provincial land not federal.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
That's the problem with the younger generation. They all think that it is there god given right to have everything, and if I don't get it I'm going to pi$$ and moan until I get what I want. There are a lot of careless slobs out there that think they can do whatever they want.
Can't argue with that.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:44 PM

Honestly, I’ve never had anything I would even call an altercation with a Lease Holder. I know and have met and or talked with quite a number. In the case of my recent antelope hunt, there were fire bans on up until October 3rd in the areas I was drawn in. I never even bothered calling any lease holders until I saw that ban lifted. I own some land myself and truthfully, whether lease or deeded if it were me; I’d probably be denying access too if there was an inherent risk. Some may argue with me but in my eyes in those areas there was indeed. I was content with hunting PGR land that I could get on. Once I saw the fire ban was off, I started calling around and even though some of my calls were outside of requested notice period not once did I get denied or one bit of flack. One fellow in particular I conversed with for nearly an hour just shooting the breeze.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t agree with nor would I let myself be subject to someone in possession of a lease bending or breaking the rules in regard to fair access. That being said and point in fact, there are conditions that arise where access can be denied and they are well within their rights set out in the agreements to deny. A lease being cheaper than deeded land as an argument holds little merit in the discussion as far as I’m concerned. If there was potential for damage such as in the case of a fire ban, I’d probably be exercising my ability to protect my investment too.

To be clear, I do not have any lease land, only deeded but I do believe that a person has to try and see things as if the shoe were on the other foot and that train of thought should work both ways.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
This would be the type of whining I was thinking of.
Closed Thread