Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-15-2017, 07:18 PM

Default Ran Out of Elevation on Scope

I just mounted a 3-12x42 Nikon Monarch onto my Sako AV and bore sighted the old fashioned way by looking down the bore and lining up the cross hairs to a point on the wall. I am really close to being out of "Up" elevation adjustment.

Is this possibly an issue if I'm trying to use a wall that is too close? I believe these are original Sako steel rings that had a Redfield Tracker 3-9x40 mounted in it previously.

Any thoughts or advice?
Old 10-15-2017, 07:55 PM

The wall is likely too close.I use this method at 50 or 100 yards.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badone20 View Post
I just mounted a 3-12x42 Nikon Monarch onto my Sako AV and bore sighted the old fashioned way by looking down the bore and lining up the cross hairs to a point on the wall. I am really close to being out of "Up" elevation adjustment.

Is this possibly an issue if I'm trying to use a wall that is too close? I believe these are original Sako steel rings that had a Redfield Tracker 3-9x40 mounted in it previously.

Any thoughts or advice?
A bore that crosses the line of sight at very close range is set to high. I usually bore sight at longer distance than I could get inside my home. I live in the country so can bore sight right off my kitchen table, but I often bore sight when I get to the range.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:21 PM

Thanks guys that's what I thought. I will check at the range and see where it goes from there.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:37 PM

An actual bore sighter kit cost about $50, at almost any Canadian Tire. It is a good investment if you have a couple of scoped rifles. Make the adjustments very easy, and finalize the set up with live firing at the range.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:12 AM

I have found that bore sighter kits do not do as well was centering through the bore with your eye. The kits are convenient when scope is mounted in a place where there is no open space to point rifle and appear safe. They also are better than nothing if you have a rifle such as an auto or pump where you can not sight through bore.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I have found that bore sighter kits do not do as well was centering through the bore with your eye. The kits are convenient when scope is mounted in a place where there is no open space to point rifle and appear safe. They also are better than nothing if you have a rifle such as an auto or pump where you can not sight through bore.
The optical bore sight tools actually work well if you take the time to learn the particular tool, and you aren't using overly tall rings. The grid on my Bushnell is not centered, so I compensate accordingly, and I almost always on the paper at 100 yards with the first shot.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I agree, I can usually get within 4" of center at 100 yards with this method.

What I do is put the rifle in a rest with the bolt removed, or sit it somewhere where it won't easily move and find a target at about 100 yards, find something at that distance to adjust the cross hairs to, where a power line crosses view with another wire for center, or a target at the range, and then adjust the turrets till the cross hairs are about an inch or two below center in the scope, from where the center of the barrel looks. Less drop for faster calibers, more for slower obviously.

If you don't have a good eye for straight surfaces or level you may have some challenge finding the centerline of the barrel from looking through the bore, and it takes about 5 minutes or less when you get good at it. The results are usually as good or better than what a bore sighter does (not what a bores sighter claims).
Old 10-19-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The optical bore sight tools actually work well if you take the time to learn the particular tool, and you aren't using overly tall rings. The grid on my Bushnell is not centered, so I compensate accordingly, and I almost always on the paper at 100 yards with the first shot.
I have the same problem with my Bushnell, I still have to field bore sight mine at the range.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody c View Post

What I do is put the rifle in a rest with the bolt removed, or sit it somewhere where it won't easily move and find a target at about 100 yards, find something at that distance to adjust the cross hairs to, where a power line crosses view with another wire for center, or a target at the range, and then adjust the turrets till the cross hairs are about an inch or two below center in the scope, from where the center of the barrel looks. Less drop for faster calibers, more for slower obviously.

If you don't have a good eye for straight surfaces or level you may have some challenge finding the centerline of the barrel from looking through the bore, and it takes about 5 minutes or less when you get good at it. The results are usually as good or better than what a bore sighter does (not what a bores sighter claims).
^^^^^^ Yep! That is the way I have done it since forever it seems, I am always amazed at the eyes ability to naturally determine center. A few times over the years I have let a sales person mount and bore sight for me. Some of those times it wasn't even on paper at 25 yards. Give me a few minutes on my kitchen table and I am always on paper at 100 yards.

With semi auto .22s a bore sight kit might be handy, but so is a large target at close range.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
I have the same problem with my Bushnell, I still have to field bore sight mine at the range.
The solution is actually pretty simple. I put my bore sighter on a few rifles that were sighted in, and I saw that the crosshairs were about 1-1/2 squares left of center, so I set the crosshairs on all scopes about 1-1/2 squares left of center when bore sighting. This almost always puts my first shot within a few inches at 100 yards.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody c View Post

I agree with all this, except for the highlighted.
IMHO, infinity is by far (pun humor) the best range for bore sighting, but 100 yds (or meters if using MILs) and ~27 yds (25 m) also work well as these are the points that the ballistic trajectory will cross the optic's line of sight.

I prefer to set my zero at 100 yds (or meters) for easier calculation of turret or reticle 'come-up'. (A higher scope zero adjustment (like 500 yds) may be required when shooting long range with a scope with limited vertical range of adjustment, and hold-under required for ranges < scope zero.)
I only suggest PBR (Point Blank Range) methods for undemanding applications such as short range hunting.

If VERY short range bore sighting is required, then the optic's line of sight must account for its 'height above bore'.
Between VERY short range and 27 yds the vertical POA needs to be estimated.

For closed actions where it is not possible to view through the bore,
I just sight along the sides and top of the barrel and center the bore on a large paper target @ ~27 yds. This usually gets me on paper @ ~27.

A ballistic calculator can be used to determine the exact range that the ballistic trajectory crosses above the optic's line of sight',
but it is 'good enough' and a lot easier to just use the ranges existing 25 yd/m target.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
I agree with all this, except for the highlighted.
IMHO, infinity is by far (pun humor) the best range for bore sighting, but 100 yds (or meters if using MILs) and ~27 yds (25 m) also work well as these are the points that the ballistic trajectory will cross the optic's line of sight.

I prefer to set my zero at 100 yds (or meters) for easier calculation of turret or reticle 'come-up'. (A higher scope zero adjustment (like 500 yds) may be required when shooting long range with a scope with limited vertical range of adjustment, and hold-under required for ranges < scope zero.)
I only suggest PBR (Point Blank Range) methods for undemanding applications such as short range hunting.

If VERY short range bore sighting is required, then the optic's line of sight must account for its 'height above bore'.
Between VERY short range and 27 yds the vertical POA needs to be estimated.

For closed actions where it is not possible to view through the bore,
I just sight along the sides and top of the barrel and center the bore on a large paper target @ ~27 yds. This usually gets me on paper @ ~27.

A ballistic calculator can be used to determine the exact range that the ballistic trajectory crosses above the optic's line of sight',
but it is 'good enough' and a lot easier to just use the ranges existing 25 yd/m target.

Good Luck, YMMV.
He is talking about looking down the center of the barrel at a 100 yard target and bore sighting - put the cross hairs a couple inches below where the center of the bore points. And he is right. To hit the 100 yard bullseye the bore will actually be pointing above the bullseye by a fair amount. Next time you are at the range center the target in the crosshairs and pull your bolt and look where the centerline of the bore is pointing.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:54 PM

I bore site all my rifles through the bore at 200 meters .
I can normally get on the bull with three or less shots , then check st 300 and. 100
Cat