Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Thanks for digging in, Dave99!

Did Parks actually call this a "cull hunt"?

They do understand what the word Cull means when used as an adjective to hunt?

So there is a management goal to reduce the wildlife population by 3 Elk, 3 Whitetails, 3 Bighorns and 1 Mulie.....

Unfortunately to many of us, the management goal has nothing to do with the good of the wildlife, it is purely political, to allow Aboriginal control of the Parks.

These animals are the first patronage payment in this new political play.

These animals are being used as Pawns.

Shame on the Simpcw.
They should know better than to kill our brothers and sisters within this motive.
This disrespect will come at a cost to those that participate.
This is what Parks Canada has released:
http://www.fitzhugh.ca/parks-closure...ditional-hunt/
Old 10-05-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pointswest View Post
Last time I checked the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms said,

"Every individual is equal before and under the law and has the right to the equal protection and equal benefit of the law without discrimination and, in particular, without discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability."

FN groups need to be treated just as everyone else does. Time to knock off this BS.
I guess the shoe doesn't feel so good on the other foot does it. I don't like it either.

Treaties describing the rights (and obligations) of land use predated the charter of rights and freedoms, despite that, the same quote you used above did not apply to our first nations people for a long time after that, and some would argue, still don't.

There were many benefits withheld, plenty of discrimination not extended, to our first nations.

So if you are interested in discussing factual information - please consider the reality.

Listen ..... I don't like it anymore than the rest of you, trust me, but to complain about rights, freedoms, injustices and fail to consider how the government executed policies for issues pertaining to the FN's for many years after "the rights and freedoms" charter was written doesn't hold water.

It just doesn't sit well for me to discuss how we feel cheated and discriminated against. It just doesn't.

I also don't like the idea of preferential treatment to FN hunters on crown/park land.

Sorry if I don't agree with many people on here. I'm just providing my perspective.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
What’s the consensus around town?
Old 10-05-2017, 06:18 PM

This is a fn joke! This cannot be a real thing?
Old 10-05-2017, 06:28 PM

I just finished sending a couple letter. One was to the News. More people need to know about this.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:33 PM

Link,

LC
Old 10-05-2017, 06:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Seems ironic, or perhaps hypocritical, how we, as non-aboriginal people feel when we have feel we have been treated unfairly, unjustly by the government over land use claims.
haha very true. I'm just not a fan of the secrecy. They gave next to no notice for locals on purpose. They wanted to hide this. That's not okay.

Be up front. Let them do the hunt. BUT dont deny other first nations under false pretenses from taking part...

I'm more curious about how one specific group was allowed over many others.. but i doubt we will learn anything with how it was handled.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:49 PM

If they were shooting 3 collared grizzleys now that would be something for the masses to rally around............

Old 10-05-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Well I'm hoping they drive around in town with hooves in the air and racks hangin out the box..... so the tourists can get some cool pic's
Old 10-05-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CritterCommander View Post

If they were shooting 3 collared grizzleys now that would be something for the masses to rally around............

my guess....thats coming.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:00 PM

Default Wish I could hunt in JNP

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
This is NOT about record books, quality of hunt or even about getting meat.

This is about Aboriginal rights to access and use National Parks lands.

This is a power play to the eventual passing of control of these lands.

Oh this ought to be good!!

The fruits of the earth belong to all of us....the earth itself to none of us!

Learn it...live it!

Can they at least kill all the caribou so I can take my dog into tonquin valley, and on the skyline trail?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by DCse7en; 10-05-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeguy21 View Post
haha very true. I'm just not a fan of the secrecy. They gave next to no notice for locals on purpose. They wanted to hide this. That's not okay.

Be up front. Let them do the hunt. BUT dont deny other first nations under false pretenses from taking part...

I'm more curious about how one specific group was allowed over many others.. but i doubt we will learn anything with how it was handled.
That's the government for you ..... can't disagree with you. They seem to be very selective on how they roll out anything that might foster unwanted controversy.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:15 PM

Here you go - straight from the horse's mouth:

Info-Hub

Temporary Area Closure
October 6 – 13, 2017
Traditional Harvest Activities
Jasper National Park

Jasper, Alberta, October 5, 2017 – A temporary area closure east of Snaring River (14 km east of Jasper), north of Highway 16 and the Athabasca River, will be in effect between October 6th and October 13th, 2017. The Celestine Lake Road and the North Boundary Trail to the Shale Banks Campground are included in the closure (map attached).
The closure is for park management purposes. Parks Canada is supporting the Simpcw First Nation to conduct traditional harvest activities on their traditionally used lands.

Conservation and public safety are shared priorities for Parks Canada and the Simpcw First Nation. Through a formal agreement, Parks Canada and the Simpcw First Nation are committed to a harvest that supports the ecological integrity of the national park and will ensure the safety of members of the Simpcw First Nation, Parks Canada staff, and the public.

Background

The Government of Canada is committed to reconciliation and nation-to-nation, Inuit-Crown, and government-to-government relationships with Indigenous Peoples, based on a recognition of rights, respect, co-operation, and partnership. Indigenous Peoples conduct traditional harvesting for fishing, hunting, and plant collection across Canada, including in some national parks.

The Jasper National Park Management Plan commits to working actively with Indigenous communities that have historical associations with Jasper National Park. The Simpcw First Nation has been communicating with Parks Canada for a number of years on their wish to hold a traditional harvest on their traditionally used lands within the boundaries of Jasper National Park.

Through the Jasper Indigenous Forum, Parks Canada works with Indigenous partners in re-establishing connections with traditionally used lands and waters. More than twenty different First Nations, Non-Treaty First Nations, and Métis communities from both Alberta and British Columbia, participate in the Jasper Indigenous Forum. Parks Canada has met with Indigenous partners and they have expressed their understanding and support for the Simpcw request for a traditional harvest.

Information:

Steve Young
Public Relations and Communications Officer
Jasper National Park
Parks Canada
780-780-6109
Steve.young@pc.gc.ca
Old 10-05-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
That area will have some really good hunting.. I wonder if they cleared the road for them past the Snake Indian bridge for better road hunting?
Old 10-05-2017, 07:36 PM

I never had plans to hunt a national park, so when I hear somebody is, I say good. Doesn't take one iota away from me, so why would I care?

Can't believe hunters would be on here demanding that other hunters lose their opportunity because its not fair. Jeez whiz folks, life isn't fair.

Talk about dividing the hunting community...
Old 10-05-2017, 08:30 PM

To bad the government will never draw a line and say enough and start taking the special privalges away from fn people which in turn would help them. For now we have to put up with there long forgotten hard ships that require us to pay with our hard earned tax money. So they will shoot some animals that are more like pets if pictures get out of the hunt taking place I suspect there will be some bad plubicty for the parks
Old 10-05-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrit View Post
To bad the government will never draw a line and say enough and start taking the special privalges away from fn people which in turn would help them. For now we have to put up with there long forgotten hard ships that require us to pay with our hard earned tax money. So they will shoot some animals that are more like pets if pictures get out of the hunt taking place I suspect there will be some bad plubicty for the parks
Probably the real reason for the closing of the area. No one is able to witness the "hunt".
Old 10-05-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearb8er View Post
Probably the real reason for the closing of the area. No one is able to witness the "hunt".
True enough try to keep it as quiet as possible just like allowing the hunt itself in secret
Old 10-05-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwilly View Post
I never had plans to hunt a national park, so when I hear somebody is, I say good. Doesn't take one iota away from me, so why would I care?

Can't believe hunters would be on here demanding that other hunters lose their opportunity because its not fair. Jeez whiz folks, life isn't fair.

Your right, life isn't fair. No one here is disagreeing with that. But look around you and notice what's going socially here in our country. In this day and age it doesn't matter whether your of Chinese, Ukrainian, English, French, First Nations descent or what ever it may be. The bottom line is that we are all Canadians. That's it. When you have different sets of rules for different groups of people it automatically causes division, no matter what the reasoning. It's time there was one set of rules for all.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:23 PM

#nativeprivledge

LC
Old 10-05-2017, 10:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
#nativeprivledge

LC
don't you mean #whiteprivledge??
Old 10-05-2017, 10:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Are you upset because you're not allowed to hunt in the park?

Ha! Welcome to the club.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:22 PM

The Simpcw might just be the tip of the iceberg...

"More than twenty different First Nations, Non-Treaty First Nations, and Métis communities from both Alberta and British Columbia, participate in the Jasper Indigenous Forum."

I wonder how many other bands are going to follow?
Old 10-06-2017, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwilly View Post

If you think that the group promoting this hunt in JNP is part of our hunting community then you're eating too many paint chips. They want to end non aboriginal hunters from using what they consider their resources. I'll be surprised if a non-native can still get a moose tag in ten years.

As Walking Buffalo has alluded to, this is the thin edge of the wedge and about way more than whacking a couple of critters in the park. It's about setting precedence that they should have full access to their traditional lands and will be moving back into the protected areas from which they were removed.

Gerry Burnie
Old 10-06-2017, 06:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
In Canada it’s called #nativeprivilege because natives have more rights than whites.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
If you think that the group promoting this hunt in JNP is part of our hunting community then you're eating too many paint chips. They want to end non aboriginal hunters from using what they consider their resources. I'll be surprised if a non-native can still get a moose tag in ten years.

As Walking Buffalo has alluded to, this is the thin edge of the wedge and about way more than whacking a couple of critters in the park. It's about setting precedence that they should have full access to their traditional lands and will be moving back into the protected areas from which they were removed.
Yes... it started a few years back when PC cordoned off the area by the Old Warden HQ north of Jasper and allowed the First Nations to have their pow wow or whatever they called it.
It was my understanding that it was natives from Manitoba that got in on that.
My work took me back into there a few times while the party was on ( past the manned gate blocking everyone else )
All I'll say is those natives from Manitoba have some really nice pick ups and motorhomes.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:35 AM

I have no problem with this hunt as long as they are hunting with home made long bows and riding paint horses.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I have no problem with this hunt as long as they are hunting with home made long bows and riding paint horses.
Why would they get horses? Horses were brought to North America from Europe. The only horses here before that are estimated to have been extinct at the same time as wooly mammoth. A traditional hunt would not include horses or firearms. Those are all introduced by settlers. They can do it on foot, with homemade clothes and homemade bows.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Most locals are just finding out about it, as it only really was made public late yesterday afternoon. Check out The Fitzhugh's Facebook page for some expert views! Info about the hunt was on here more than 24 hours prior to Parks Canada's official release.
Our community is still in shock from loosing a beautiful, young Jasper lady in the Las Vegas shooting. Rest in peace, Calla.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:27 AM
Banned

Oh muh government and its transparency and inclusiveness and equality
Closed Thread