Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-16-2012, 02:45 PM

Just this morning I called a well known store for some 165 grain Hornady Interlock reloading bullets in .308 diameter, apparently they never heard of them, but I could buy some loaded ammo with Partitions, GMX, TSX, TTSX, just not any Hornady Interlock .308 diameter reloading bullets.
I could not get my point across that I didn't want loaded ammo, but merely the bullets alone. I finally had to politely hang up and try my call again. Why don't they have people that know the product line instead of someone that can fill a pair of shoes.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303carbine View Post
One other is, "the 308 won't kill game as good as the 30-06"... what do you say to that kind of mental midget.
Look them in the eye and say "Dead is dead isn't it?"

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 10-16-2012, 03:07 PM

Although I have had some good experiences with "behind the counter experts", for the most part, if I had to sum up the general message I have received coming over to me from the "expert" side of the counter, it would be this: "Me (store owner/worker) smart, you dumb."

Over the years, this has turned me int a bit of a suspicious customer, when it comes to acquiring reliable information from store employees. I now tend to do my own research ahead of time, and simply purchase what I already know to be the exact product I'm looking for, regardless of what a store employee may try to convince me of. I've found that they will often try to steer you in the direction of what they have available to sell you (and I guess that's understandable to a degree). I once had a store clerk trying to sell me on Bushnell scope, that Nightforce was garbage. (He wasn't a Nighforce dealer).

Over the years, I've learned more from good forums like this, than I ever learned from the average gun-store employee.

Last edited by Artist; 10-16-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Just this morning I called a well known store for some 165 grain Hornady Interlock reloading bullets in .308 diameter, apparently they never heard of them, but I could buy some loaded ammo with Partitions, GMX, TSX, TTSX, just not any Hornady Interlock .308 diameter reloading bullets.
I could not get my point across that I didn't want loaded ammo, but merely the bullets alone. I finally had to politely hang up and try my call again. Why don't they have people that know the product line instead of someone that can fill a pair of shoes.
You can thank the people that refer to loaded ammunition as "bullets" for that. Some clerks are so used to people not using the proper terminology, that they assume that anyone that asks for bullets really wants loaded ammunition.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:06 PM

[QUOTE=303carbine;1652205]

Another one was, "I like to sound hunt", I asked what the hell that means, he said, "I wait for game sounds and shoot at the sound"....idiot.

How hard was it to not punch him very hard in the head?!?
Jackholes like this guy is what causes some hunting accidents.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Why don't they have people that know the product line instead of someone that can fill a pair of shoes.
Because they only pay the same as McDonalds or KFC. Someone who knows or is capable of learning a broad spectrum about a multitude of products, barrel twists, actions and how they work, can explain the ins and outs of parralax, trajectories, bullet construction, powder selection, has the dexterity to install scopes properly etc, etc, is someone who is capable of getting a much higher paying job and is not going to stay long for those wages. The only hope gunshops have is hiring someone who is financially secure and enjoys guns/ hunting, dealing with the public and dosent depend on the job to pay the bills, retirees, those looking for a hobby type job or looking to supplement their income with partime work. Not too many gunshop offer salaries and benefits worth making a career out of it.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:55 PM

There is not much markup in firearms sales at the gunshop level, so unless the shop sells a lot of accessories and clothing there's no room for good wages.
We are collectively partly to blame as many are very price sensitive.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:58 PM

"You want to buy a box of Remington 270win 130 gr cor-lokt ammo? That's a Winchester cartridge. Remington would never manufacture and sell a competitor's product."

It wasn't said to me but it was said to someone I know pretty well by a clerk at the gun counter of a leading sporting goods store in Calgary. Incredible.

Last edited by 270WIN; 10-16-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:37 PM

Heard a good one at timber creek in rocky today guy i was talking to said hea getting 3300 fps outta his 7mm08 with 150 grain partitions me an the owner couldnt believe how serious he was being
Old 10-17-2012, 06:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonhunter View Post
Standing at the customer service counter at CT the young man in front of me was buying a rifle scope and two boxes of ammunition.

I says to him "Did you buy a new gun today?"

He was just wired you could tell. He says "yeah, I got me a .300 win mag out of the classifieds this afternoon. I can't wait to shoot it!"

He continues, "I just got my PAL last week and couldn't wait to get a gun, this is the first one I could find for sale."

"So let's clarify something i says to him. Did you buy a .300 win mag or a .300WSM?"

"A .300 win mag."

"You're sure?"

"Yes."

"So why do you have one box of .300 win mag ammo, and one box of .300WSM?"

"They are both the same so it won't be a problem."

Needless to say I gave him a short lesson in the differences between the two and he walked out with the right shells, but sheeshkabobs how do people get through life?
How did this guy get his PAL in the first place??
Old 10-17-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
One other is, "the 308 won't kill game as good as the 30-06"... what do you say to that kind of metal midget.
We all know the 08 family is inferior to the 06 but calling it a "metal midget" is a little over the top.

I believe "ballistically challenged" would be more politically correct.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
We all know the 08 family is inferior to the 06 but calling it a "metal midget" is a little over the top.

I believe "ballistically challenged" would be more politically correct.
It's a typo, should have been mental midget, just fat fingers
Old 10-17-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Heard a good one at timber creek in rocky today guy i was talking to said hea getting 3300 fps outta his 7mm08 with 150 grain partitions me an the owner couldnt believe how serious he was being
Did he specifically say 7mm-08, or could it have been 7mmx8?
Old 10-17-2012, 11:30 AM

Nope 08
Old 10-17-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleyhunter7 View Post
Nope 08

Maybe he has both and got confused?? I have been flippin guns and reloading for a number of years and i can remember letting slip during a conversation how i said .35 Remington when i meant my other .35 cal being a .35 Whelen. Some people need to lighten up.......
Old 10-17-2012, 08:43 PM

Funniest thing heard at a gun counter..."Hi, can I help you?"
Old 10-17-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wind drift View Post
Funniest thing heard at a gun counter..."Hi, can I help you?"
This is very much the case most of the time, and not funny at the time! haha
Old 10-17-2012, 10:23 PM

I wonder what they would say if you where like

"Naa, I'll just get it myself"
Old 10-18-2012, 02:19 AM

"These SKS are deadly accurate out to 300 yds. on deer and coyote!" (staff P+D)

"It's not worth it to reload shotshells, when you can buy them so cheap." (staff at P+D) Thanks Tips.

".22 are only good out to 75 yards, anyway" (staff Wholesale S Ed.) If you say so...

"Your scope and rings are just fine. You were sighted in about 8 inches to the left though." (Same as above, as the guy fumbles around with a cheezy, magnetic bore sighter.) Gee thanks, I sighted it in with live ammo!

"The best part about these (speaking of a 16 inch barreled semi) is that they are non-restricted!" (staff at P+D) Have fun with that run! (He was temporarily right)

"Never heard of those, let me get our semi auto expert." Good start. "It's like a Garand? (Wholesale N Ed.) What's that?" D-oh!

I'm probably leaving out a pile. Pretty sure I've heard that Savages aren't that great.

Been told that Remingtons were junk. Maybe they slipped last couple years, but junk?

And many, many more...
Old 10-18-2012, 10:39 AM

WSS N
I am sorry your new $800.00 CZ double barrel shotgun won't fire the second barrel the first time you took it out. We will not take it back and replace it with a gun that will fire. You need to send it out for warranty, it will take 3 to 4 months.

Just happened to a friend last week. He now has a very expensive single shot till the season ends.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:54 PM

I over heard this 3 weeks ago at bass pro. Young kid probley 20 years old wanted a good deer rifle he was looking at a 25 06 and told the sales men that he had not shot much for a hunting rifle. I tried to be helpful and told him that it was a nice cal for deer. I told him 25 06 is great or try a 3006 told him it would take down elk or moose later on if he wanted to hunt them. The sales men told him that it would not take down a grizzly bear. I looked at him and told him thats okay we cant hunt them here anyways. The wonderful salesmen then handed him a 300 win mag and said this will save you from a grizzly. The kid bought it because the salesmen sold him on fear.

Wonder how manny rounds he will fire before giving up hunting. Also wonder how manny rifle are sold to first time buyers based on fear and not what the can handle.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:41 PM

Talking Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
“A bullet doesn't gain full speed until its 50 yards from the muzzle “

Wholesale sports

I love those jet powered bullets!
That's the second stage kickin in... Or maybe the afterburners
Old 10-20-2012, 12:28 AM

Cool Can tire

This one wasnt so much at the gun counter but more so at the till. I grabbed a couple boxes of goose shells. I was at the till paid the bill, the lady asked if I wanted a bag (It was two boxes), Told her I dont need a box ill carry em. She then asked if I was sure? Of course I am dont need a bag for these. She then asked what if someone sees you? I said AND?? Well arnt you worried about what other people will think?? Ummm nope really couldnt give a F****, no. Well have your self a good afternoon I told her.

I didnt really know what to think about that situation, lol. Still dont really know lmao
Old 10-20-2012, 05:20 AM

Default 35 whelan

I was enquiring about a 35 whelan when the shore owner said " that don't have enough power for moose. It would be alright for shooting gophers" . I thought he might be confusing it for the 35 Remington which is still a capable cartridge. I gave him the benefit of a doubt and asked if he could open a box of 35 whelan ammo. He did and I said you know this is a 30-06 knecked up right? He said yeah but it's so heavy you wouldn't be able to shoot past 100 yards. I still think he had them mixed up and wouldn't back down...
Old 10-20-2012, 06:20 AM

here's another one, but from the till aswell

I was at Cabela's the other month buying some shotgun ammo.
I grabbed 6 boxes of federal.
2 were 00buck 2,3/4
1 was 00buck 3"
2 were slug 3"
1 was slug 2,3/4

I walk up to the till say hello and hand over my shells, the kid working the till scanned 1 box of the 3" slugs then hit enter 5 more times, thinking they were all the same, but in fact each different type had a different price, the box kiddo chose was the most expensive one's so I immediatly objected and had to show her that there were a few different kinds of ammo in there and they all cost different. I then showed her she couldn't trust what the packaging looked like she had to scan each one cause they could all be different. Had she picked the cheapest ones in my pile, the 00buck 2,3/4 I wouldn't have said a thing lol. after I showed her that she had one of those "sudden realization" faces haha

but not really her fault I guess she probably wasn't trained adequitly, just to run the till, not to look out for the special things about buying from a store like that. and all the boxes looked prettymuch the same, all were that blue powershok packaging they used and if you didn't look a little harder you'd think it was all the same I guess.
but it makes me wonder how much expensive ammo got out of the store unoticed by her just scanning a cheap box and thinking ammo was all the same haha! I got the opposite treatment there!
Old 10-20-2012, 12:50 PM

I have, like others have heard to many to repeat. I really enjoy it when I go in looking for something and having a fudd tell me it is not legal ect.

Most recently I went into a large box gun store in Gp and was looking at some different sharps, rolling block type 45-70s. I ask the cleark at the counter for one in 45-70. The clerk then asks. What's a 45-70? I stood there with a blank look on my face. She then said well they haven't taught me about the guns yet. There wasn't enough face palm in the world. I said thanks and walked away.

Do not overcome fear, but become over fear.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:47 PM

went with wife to pick up her first rifel for bday was looking for a 2506 nuthen fancy just good starter gun guy proceded to tell me they had no guns of this caliber in stock so figured id look at a new 12 guage then of course they have none in stock either me adn wife are looking behind him at more then a few of each caliber gun finally walked out lethbrige wss
Old 10-20-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjoe View Post
I have, like others have heard to many to repeat. I really enjoy it when I go in looking for something and having a fudd tell me it is not legal ect.

Most recently I went into a large box gun store in Gp and was looking at some different sharps, rolling block type 45-70s. I ask the cleark at the counter for one in 45-70. The clerk then asks. What's a 45-70? I stood there with a blank look on my face. She then said well they haven't taught me about the guns yet. There wasn't enough face palm in the world. I said thanks and walked away.
Oh no, the clerk gave you an honest answer? And thats facepalm worthy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreys 21234 View Post
went with wife to pick up her first rifel for bday was looking for a 2506 nuthen fancy just good starter gun guy proceded to tell me they had no guns of this caliber in stock so figured id look at a new 12 guage then of course they have none in stock either me adn wife are looking behind him at more then a few of each caliber gun finally walked out lethbrige wss
Are you trying to communicate?
Old 10-20-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
WSS N
I am sorry your new $800.00 CZ double barrel shotgun won't fire the second barrel the first time you took it out. We will not take it back and replace it with a gun that will fire. You need to send it out for warranty, it will take 3 to 4 months.

Just happened to a friend last week. He now has a very expensive single shot till the season ends.

unfortunatly thats the truth with warrenty..had it happen on a brand new marlin 45-70 and i made it right by giving out the customer a new one.. once fixed im stuck selling a used gun and loosing money.. sorry to say on guns once out the door you have to deal with the manufacture.. sucks but true.
Rob
Old 10-20-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem338win View Post

Are you trying to communicate?

Think of it as a stream of consciousness telegram.

"went with wife to pick up her first rifel for bday STOP was looking for a 2506 STOP nuthen fancy just good starter gun STOP guy proceded to tell me they had no guns of this caliber in stock STOP so figured id look at a new 12 guage STOP then of course they have none in stock either STOP me adn wife are looking behind him at more then a few of each caliber gun STOP finally walked out lethbrige wss