Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-03-2017, 04:15 PM
Banned

Finally one brave soul [Bob] has said the odds are one sighter and then a kill making such shots a 50 - 50 chance? Extremely predictable for sure, but on the optimistic side I'm sure.

JD says he has very little problem with wind at one hundred yards putting him securely in the top hand full of benchrest shooters in the world. Being a plow jockey I'm not even in his game, just envious. But no odds of making the looong shot? Thats what I'm interested in not just that he can "get er done" whatever that is?
Old 07-03-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Wind drift much of a problem with a 105mm howitzer? (just joshing you bud, I had to throw that in.....)
LOL. Wind drift, temp, humdity, crappy person on the sights, dirty barrel, underserviced hydraulics. Poor understanding of ballistics. Low tire pressure and a whole host of other variables.

My boss use to say Ballistics is not an exact science. It is predictable until it is not predicable and you miss your shot.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:06 PM

4005 meters / 4380 yds.
375 Cheytac
Finland

full report Aug, 2016
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...380-yard-shot/

LOTS of information, well worth the read.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:46 PM
Banned

Some new [to me] information that changes the entire story. It appears now the sniper was doing some long distance flock shooting not picking off an enemy with precision.

In an interview with Maj. Gen. Rouleu the Globe and Mail quoted him as saying the sniper did not expect to hit a target at such a distance but hoped his "harassing fire" would cause the fighters to flee"...."and they were actually able to kill one of the Daesh fighters".

This is a much more plausible story to me with the odds not much different than ordinary flock shooting....except for the number of pellets in the air versus the single bullet.

This was one very unlucky Daesh fighter!