Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-23-2008, 07:30 AM

Default Portable electric fences???

Anyone have any experience/faith with those portable electric fences? I always thought it would be nice to at least have some warning if a grizz decided to "see" what was sleeping in the tent on the side of the mountain....

Came across one that was packable (two pounds).....20'x20' area....

Are they reliable? Easy enough to set up? Weather proof? Do they give enough of a jolt to be worthwhile?....

Would they keep a bear out of your gear long enough to pack your meat out and come back??

Sounds like a lot of logistics but still kinda interesting.....any thoughts
Old 06-23-2008, 08:34 AM

Use a fence charger that has a joule rating >.5 joules and delivers at least 5000 volts. If it can't do this - keep looking for a setup that can. Some of these fences are only meant to keep Tom cats from pis---- on the petunias!
Old 06-23-2008, 09:40 AM

We use a portable electric fence for our fly-in moose camp(talked about in Mudster's thread earlier). It is very compact and runs on 6 D batteries. We cover an area of approx. 100' x 50', so our tent and meat pole are within it's perimeter. The jolt does not seem to be very powerfull, but I still manage to shock Pierre every year when he is setting it up! Does it work? I don't know, but we have used it on five trips, for a total of 10 weeks, and haven't had a bear in our camp yet. It's just an extra precaution we take to keep our tent, meat, food, and ourselves safe in an area where help is a long ways away. It would be neat to watch a bear approach it and see what happens!