Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-22-2008, 10:17 PM

Default Going wireless?

OK Mac and technically adept guys,

How do I set my IMac OS X to operate via a wireless modem? I've got the modem, but am still running from the ethernet cable. Is my IMac setup to run wireless or do I need to plug something into the back of my computer to communicate remotely? Thanks.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
OK Mac and technically adept guys,

How do I set my IMac OS X to operate via a wireless modem? I've got the modem, but am still running from the ethernet cable. Is my IMac setup to run wireless or do I need to plug something into the back of my computer to communicate remotely? Thanks.
If the Imac is recent it has a built in wireless card. you will need to log into the wireless modem ensure wireless radio is turned on and set the encryption method you choose and then go into system utils and configure your airport with the same encyrption method and password. Hope this helps you get started. Without knowing the exact modem it's tough to give a detailed description on how to set the wireless, but most come with a manual that has step by step instructions, and if it is a TELUS adsl modem there help desk will help you.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:56 PM

Thanks Ricky,

I'll call telus tomorrow. The guy that helped me yesterday wasn't helpful at all. Hopefully a new tech will help things a bit.

Chuck
Old 06-23-2008, 12:09 PM

Chuck,
I have a couple of Macs running wireless at my house. If you run into trouble with the telus guy, send me a PM and I will try and help you through it.
Of note.... If you want to set up encryption on the wireless connection and are given the choice (Depends on your router hardware) pick WPA. Do not pick WEP if you can avoid it.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPuffyPants View Post
Chuck,
I have a couple of Macs running wireless at my house. If you run into trouble with the telus guy, send me a PM and I will try and help you through it.
Of note.... If you want to set up encryption on the wireless connection and are given the choice (Depends on your router hardware) pick WPA. Do not pick WEP if you can avoid it.

Can you explain that statement please (pick WPA. Do not pick WEP if you can avoid it)

What makes one better or more secure then the other? I am asking cause i dont know beans about either. I Just do what what the Telus tech tells me

AL
Old 06-23-2008, 03:25 PM

From Wikipedia "Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA and WPA2) is a certification program administered by the Wi-Fi Alliance to indicate compliance with the security protocol created by the Wi-Fi Alliance to secure wireless computer networks. This protocol was created in response to several serious weaknesses researchers had found in the previous system, Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP). "

Basically, WEP was one of the first encryption standards to be introduced for wireless communications, but there was a weakness discovered in it's implementation in the early 90's. This weakness quickly became known and an exploit was built into some programs which can easily be downloaded over the internet. Long and short is that if someone wants to eavsdrop or 'break in' to your wireless access point (in your case the router) then with the downloadable tools they can do it in a matter of minutes.
WPA and WPA2 have no such flaws (detected yet) and so are a much more safe way to encrypt your internet traffic.

Of course you can leave your wireless access point 'open' if you wish (No encryption) which would allow anyone within a couple hundred feet of your house to use it. Some people do this on purpose to allow others to borrow bandwith, or share their internet connection.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:09 PM

I would say that you should phone apples help phone. I have a MacBook Pro and they were extremely helpful.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:02 PM

Are you trying to set up a wireless network? Or are you trying to connect to the net wirelessly?

If you're setting up a wireless net you'll need a Wireless Access Point and you should have another computer hardwired to the WAP. The WAP is in turn connected to the internet through the normal means. IE. Broadband adapter, wireless "modem" or what have you.

If you're trying to connect to the internet directly I have a feeling you don't have all of the equipment you need to pull it off.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:01 PM

I did have the equipment needed and I'm up and running wireless. Thanks guys.

Chuck
Old 06-23-2008, 10:44 PM
Banned

Hey russ, do you run a Mac? They don't need "all that stuff".
Old 06-23-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindalbakken View Post
Hey russ, do you run a Mac? They don't need "all that stuff".

quit reminding me I thought you needed an air card from Telus to connect direct. I don't have a lot of experience on that side. But I do run a wireless net @ home and I'm usually the gate keeper at work.