Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-22-2008, 03:03 PM

Default Southern Texas.......

Well guys and gals, as of today I have been in south Texas for a week now. Working in temps up to 41 deg C, with up to 70% humidity. I thought I was gonna die a couple of times.

But I did manage to meet a couple guys who want me to go hog hunting with them. What I was wondering is..... How hard is it to bring a bow across the boarder, and would it be harder because I am working under a work permit.

any info would be great.

I am going to be comming down here til Dec. So I may even get a chance for Turkey.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:16 PM

Was speaking to my brother (in McAllen) yesterday. There is a Cabellas between San Antonio and Austen. Use this opportunity to cash in on the better buck, and upgrade or buy a backup... was told that a visit to that Cabellas is worth a LOT of hours, before you even spend anything...
Old 06-22-2008, 03:31 PM

I know of a Bass Pro just outside of Houston, which is about 2 hours from where I am now. I am in Victoria Tx.
I would be happy hitting the Cabela's or bass pro shop. But they are keeping us Canadians really busy down here.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:41 PM

You know what they say "An idle Canadain is the Devils tool" lol Find a superior whos a hunting nut and mention how much you would love to hit the Bass Pro
Old 06-22-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertaboy74 View Post
I know of a Bass Pro just outside of Houston, which is about 2 hours from where I am now. I am in Victoria Tx.
I would be happy hitting the Cabela's or bass pro shop. But they are keeping us Canadians really busy down here.
There is a nice little coastal park not far from there - South West. Very nice... Watch out for the gators. I hadn't even known there were any till we walked in the park. Asked the warden/ranger/whatever on the way out... Yup. They were gators... Can't remember it's name.

Looking on the map, you are also pretty close to the cabellas. It is NW of you, instead of NE like Houston.

If you go west, you get to see the "real" border with Mexico... It is west of San Antonio, but east of the border by quite a ways. I found that... entertaining... Going through a border crossing well into texas. Actually better guarded etc. than the "actual" border...

You are drilling?
Old 06-22-2008, 06:19 PM

Not drilling, I am a wireline operator. 3 weeks down here 1 week home in alberta until December.
I am looking forward to some slack days where I can do some touring.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertaboy74 View Post
Not drilling, I am a wireline operator. 3 weeks down here 1 week home in alberta until December.
I am looking forward to some slack days where I can do some touring.
I've heard javelina come to a predator call. Never tried it. Might be fun. Still never seen a 'lina. Last trip down, I was on my way out to go for hogs and 'lina, and got rained out. The owner (in a brand new fjcruiser) didn't figure that the 'cruiser would get into the ranch in wet "colichi" (no idea on spelling) clay. Sounds like it makes prairie gumbo look mild... Went to the range instead with an ar15, a 45, some .22's, my brother, the owner, and his kids. Was good fun. Ammo isn't cheap, even down there...
Old 06-23-2008, 04:29 PM

Seen a dead hog on the side of the road on the way back from a job today by beeville. And quite a few deer ( not much bigger than a yote, as far as I am concerned ). One of the guys here invited me to hunt Turkey and deer on his land if I am here when the season opens. And as per my schedule, I will be.

I will put up any amount of heat to hunt wild Turkey with my bow. And the chance at a Texas Whitetail.
Work is looking a whole lot better.

I am supposed to go after Catfish this weekend if all goes well.

No worries, I will be posting lots of pics on my week off.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:53 PM

Forgot to mention we were coming back from the island (just north east of Brownsville) and spotted an armadillo. It was digging in the ditch, so we stopped, hopped out to look. It didn't seem concerned at all. that was because it didn't know we were there. It spooked and took off hopping like the strangest kangeroo you ever did see. Was fairly fast but extremely funny. NOT what I had expected...