Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-21-2015, 06:45 AM

well when you look at the people that are hired to work in some gun shops it's no wonder, I would bet that 1/2 of them have never fired a gun much less reloaded or know anything about ballistics, they watch movies and videos about guys shooting 1000 yards and think anyone can do it, more and more these days you better know what you want when you go in because the ADVISE you get there isn't worth a grain of salt, unfortunately this turns many of the young hunters into cutline snipers instead of ethical hunters
Old 04-21-2015, 08:16 AM

Was at a shop in Calgary that while admittedly is more of a tactical gun store they do have a decent selection of high end shotguns on the back wall. I've gotten more into trap shooting so I was asking to compare a few of the sporting models of o/u that they had hanging there. The sales dude hands me a Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon and I shoulder it and look down the rib and holy smokes the rib took a nasty curve to the left, like its not even close to straight and there's no way you could ever ignore that. I hand it to my buddy and he looks at it and yup same thing, so its not just me. So I hand it back to the young fella and tell him what I saw with the rib. He just chuckles and says all nice shotguns have that feature, its a trick that helps your eye stay on target.....Now I've never claimed to be an expert on shotguns but I've handled and shot a bunch different guns and I've never seen that before, if I'm wrong and this is a feature of nice shotguns that I don't know about please educate me...and on behalf of my friend and I, I'll go back to this gun shop and apologize to the sales guy for bursting out laughing and then leaving to store to buy the same shotgun at another store (with a straight rib).
Old 04-21-2015, 08:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by torch919 View Post
Was at a shop in Calgary that while admittedly is more of a tactical gun store they do have a decent selection of high end shotguns on the back wall. I've gotten more into trap shooting so I was asking to compare a few of the sporting models of o/u that they had hanging there. The sales dude hands me a Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon and I shoulder it and look down the rib and holy smokes the rib took a nasty curve to the left, like its not even close to straight and there's no way you could ever ignore that. I hand it to my buddy and he looks at it and yup same thing, so its not just me. So I hand it back to the young fella and tell him what I saw with the rib. He just chuckles and says all nice shotguns have that feature, its a trick that helps your eye stay on target.....Now I've never claimed to be an expert on shotguns but I've handled and shot a bunch different guns and I've never seen that before, if I'm wrong and this is a feature of nice shotguns that I don't know about please educate me...and on behalf of my friend and I, I'll go back to this gun shop and apologize to the sales guy for bursting out laughing and then leaving to store to buy the same shotgun at another store (with a straight rib).
A curved rib or barrel is not the norm for sure. However, the gun can be angled left or right depending on which way you shoot. This occurs at the rear of the receiver where it mates with the buttstock. Some come with a tapered shim so that you can alter either way. Take a look down the rib from the muzzle end (unloaded of course). Another thing that may cause an optical illusion is when the cocking lever doesn't return to exact center but sits slightly to one side (slightly right by my experience). Somehow, when looking down the barrel when shouldered, it can appear that it is bowed. Not saying that this is the case here for sure, but it is possible. If you are really interested in that fine shotgun, I would suggest that you return to the store, remove the barrels and now look at them unmounted.

Last edited by gitrdun; 04-21-2015 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
A curved rib or barrel is not the norm for sure. However, the gun can be angled left or right depending on which way you shoot. This occurs at the rear of the receiver where it mates with the buttstock. Some come with a tapered shim so that you can alter either way. Take a look down the rib from the muzzle end (unloaded of course). Another thing that may cause an optical illusion is when the cocking lever doesn't return to exact center but sits slightly to one side (slightly right by my experience). Somehow, when looking down the barrel when shouldered, it can appear that it is bowed. Not saying that this is the case here for sure, but it is possible. If you are really interested in that fine shotgun, I would suggest that you return to the store, remove the barrels and now look at them unmounted.
I will keep those tips in mind for next time for sure, be good to be able to verify if its an illusion like you said or really bent. This one was definitely flawed tho. Within an hour I was at another shop and holding the same model of shotgun and the rib was straight as an arrow. Bought that second gun and even saved a couple bucks. What struck me as funny was how he agreed that there was a flaw, but tried to explain it away with such confidence, made it seem like it was a benefit even!
Old 04-21-2015, 12:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by torch919 View Post
I will keep those tips in mind for next time for sure, be good to be able to verify if its an illusion like you said or really bent. This one was definitely flawed tho. Within an hour I was at another shop and holding the same model of shotgun and the rib was straight as an arrow. Bought that second gun and even saved a couple bucks. What struck me as funny was how he agreed that there was a flaw, but tried to explain it away with such confidence, made it seem like it was a benefit even!
Sounds as though you were talking to a cheesy used car salesman, the ones down in Ogden...
Old 04-23-2015, 09:27 PM

Kid at a Candain Tire that sells guns, "I don't like the expiry date on this license." Said license doesn't expire for 7 months yet. WT....?
Old 04-24-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrand View Post
Customer: Is a 300 magnum enough for deer?
I laughed way to hard at this
Old 05-05-2015, 05:10 PM

Default just happened

a young fellow just walked up to me and asked if i sell hanguns, well yes. do you have a restricted pal , yes. do you have a range membership, yes. then come in tomorrow and we can start the transfer when the cfc is open. ok. can you tell me if you also sell holsters and badges. for real
Old 05-05-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windago View Post
a young fellow just walked up to me and asked if i sell hanguns, well yes. do you have a restricted pal , yes. do you have a range membership, yes. then come in tomorrow and we can start the transfer when the cfc is open. ok. can you tell me if you also sell holsters and badges. for real
I'd report his PAL, these kind of guys are how trouble starts.

Was at a store in Calgary the other day, first time since I had my car accident. I'm pretty sure the guy I overheard was in before but dang was he going on about killing a bear with a pistol, funny thing was he never said the calibre

All it takes is for one man to misinterpret something and he can start a war that lasts for decades.
Anonymous
Old 05-09-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
Last week I was in WSS in Calgary. There was a guy about 65-70 barking at the counter clerk.

"No powder?" "Seriously?" "Since when?" "This is Horse****! Only WSS has issues like this." "Everyone has powder!"

And he wasn't being quiet about it. He looked like a total idiot and had no clue.
This guy is making the rounds.... he hits the Lethbridge WSS at least once a week, and comes in looking for rimfire ammo as well. He has some AMAZING disguises; sometimes he's tall, sometimes he's short, sometimes bald, etc.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:02 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
This guy is making the rounds.... he hits the Lethbridge WSS at least once a week, and comes in looking for rimfire ammo as well. He has some AMAZING disguises; sometimes he's tall, sometimes he's short, sometimes bald, etc.

This little temper tantrum runs through my mind every time I look for my particular cartridges, bullets, suitable powders.
Mostly I take it out on the wife, or I just go kick the dog.
I mean seriously, a sporting goods store not having "my" ammunition
Sheesh
Guy Fawkes and his companions
Did the scheme contrive,
To blow the king and parliament
All up alive!
Eat, Drink, and be merry for tomorrow we shall surely die
Certified tinfoil hat wearing redneck.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:39 AM

From a clerk, "Never use a powder thrower."

I explained that I understand they are volumetric and powder must be portioned by mass.

"Just never use one." Guess I will pour the powder directly from the jar to my scale from now on.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peebles View Post
From a clerk, "Never use a powder thrower."

I explained that I understand they are volumetric and powder must be portioned by mass.

"Just never use one." Guess I will pour the powder directly from the jar to my scale from now on.
i never use one
Old 05-21-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
i never use one
I know it's not necessary, but I have shot lots of ammo created using one (in conjunction with a scale) and I'm still alive visiting gun counters across the province to get more bad advice.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:16 AM

Walked into Cabelas the other day while hearing "Little Man" by Alan Jackson on the radio intercom.

Thought it was a little ironic.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:39 PM

Did you hear the one about the guy who could smack the pie plate at 500 yards offhand all day everyday?

LC
Old 05-25-2015, 04:55 PM

Lmao...... Come on lefty!!
Old 05-25-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Did you hear the one about the guy who could smack the pie plate at 500 yards offhand all day everyday?

LC
Ethically!
Old 05-25-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peebles View Post
I know it's not necessary, but I have shot lots of ammo created using one (in conjunction with a scale) and I'm still alive visiting gun counters across the province to get more bad advice.
"never use a powder measure"??!!
I guess I should sell all of these then, because they are either no good, or dangerous- never mind the fact that every system shown has won local, State and Provincial, and National and international matches of every conceivable discipline,, and have accounted for 1,000's upon thousand's of upland and migratory birds, and 1,000's of tons of safely and accurately shot animals all over the World.?
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 05-25-2015 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:

LC
Who sings it???
Old 05-25-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:

LC
Really?

There are no absolutes
Old 05-25-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:

LC
Oh my. You're on a roll, buddy!

LMAO.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
i never use one
What do you use? I use one, with my scale. Get my weight set, then throw charges and weigh every 5-6th one or so. If the powder I'm using meters very well, I'll weigh maybe 1 in 10. Has worked well for many years.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxclaro View Post
What do you use? I use one, with my scale. Get my weight set, then throw charges and weigh every 5-6th one or so. If the powder I'm using meters very well, I'll weigh maybe 1 in 10. Has worked well for many years.
Before I had a Chargemaster I would set the throw just shy of the mark and trickle up to the desired charge.

LC
Old 05-25-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:

LC
Old 05-25-2015, 10:18 PM

Ever been to a Benchrest match?
Most of the shooters throw their powder charges right at the match.
What do those guys get for results? Aggregate groups in the 0.2's, and 0.3's

Whodathunkit?

There are no absolutes
Old 05-25-2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Ever been to a Benchrest match?
Most of the shooters throw their powder charges right at the match.
What do those guys get for results? Aggregate groups in the 0.2's, and 0.3's

Whodathunkit?
Yup, the Harrel in my pic is a true BR measrue, but that old Lyman 55 has threw many charges at the hands of a certain three marksmen who won big matches with it.
Cat
Old 06-08-2015, 04:45 PM

Was at a not to be named store and heard a couple guys talking about ranges. Shaking my head as one said to the other that you can safely use the fmj 7.62 and 5.56 surplus at any of the ranges, couldn't help but take a look at who said it.....was a staffer.

Had a BC run not long ago too, stopped at the local run shop in Kamloops. Impressed they had 22 ammo. Went to the competitor, all they had was 22 shorts. Asked why, was told they aren't allowed to sell any 22LR anymore and that they'd had some come in that was unsellable.....Really, since when.....guy laughed and said it was a new law before walking away

Seems some of the staff are pretty bad lately, all the ones that had a brain are getting the axe or leaving. Haven't been in since.

All it takes is for one man to misinterpret something and he can start a war that lasts for decades.
Anonymous
Old 06-08-2015, 05:36 PM

Was at the local outdoors store today.

Young guy about my age was looking for an upgrade. He currently shoots a. 17hmr.
Wanted something "faster" and have more knockdown power for coyotes and fox.
The sales associate pointed him towards a.22lr.
They now had my full attention. Sales associate started spouting off about how a hollowpoint. 22 is deadly out to 200 yards. Much more accurate than the. 17hmr.

I couldnt help myself but to intervene. Ended up needing to show the sales guy proof on my phone that he was full of it.
He left the counter, I started talking with the customer. Someone else came out after about 10 minutes. Apologized for his co-worker.
End of the story, customer left with a. 223, and my number to do some gopher hunting with his. 17hmr.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:48 PM

I have shot a lot of deer and moose with my 270 the guy has a problem shooting