Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-31-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
As a rank newbie who is taking my PAL this weekend, I am learning a ton reading this thread and all the discussions. Thanks to all that have contributed!

Gotta admit, I was a little nervous when I got to the end of the thread seeing if any of my recent rookie comments at gun counters would pop up. :-)

One thing I have to say is that this thread has confirmed with me the value of getting my PAL and buying my first rifle through my local independent gun store where the guys listen to what I am excited about and really seem to know their stuff.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Good starter rifle I believe is an MVP either in .223 or .308. Personally I am a fan of the Scout model. If you want a semi-auto for hunting/fun M305 after it has been check over by a smith and some simple upgrades or sent to M14medic.ca as the quality control can be really hit or miss and some parts were cheaped out on. Plus you can get legal 10rd mags for the M305, E-Lander AIA M10s mags are for sale all over the place. They are legal due to them being originally made for the AIA M10 which is a Lee-Enfield mod. For .223 mini-14 or SU-16.

In the end it's up to you. Just do your research and cross check crap before buying stuff.

Last edited by DireWolf; 10-31-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:06 PM
Banned

Heard a guy say he would rather a mother that's a ***** than a son that shot a 270. Made me laugh.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:11 PM

Heard one of the finest give advice on a rifle scope choice. His advice was to avoid scopes utilizing the second focal plane as the point of impact changes vertically with the magnification. The beauty of the first focal plane as although the reticle changes sizes throughout the magnification range, the POI is consistent.
Sometimes its fun to browse the sale items just to overhear gems like this.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:57 PM

Recently at the gun counter in a cgy store that shall not be named thats having a going out of bizness sale,lol 😜 I asked to look at a cpl of Sako models that I've been on the fence about buying vs. paying almost double for the Fierce CT Edge that I've been drooling over for months.
So I fondle the Greywolf and the Finnlight and ask about Fierce and guy says "never heard of Fierce"...so I kinda explain that it's this relatively new mfr with Cdn content and out of the box .5moa guarantee and essentially a semi-custom production clone of a Sako action with super tight tolerances and all that good stuff,blah blah blah...
So he boxes the rifles back up,and I'm really on the fence here and say "Hmmm,I really dunno here,I kinda really want the Fierce just dunno if I want to pay 2x for essentially a Sako clone with Ti action and CF barrel?"
So then he tells me the Fierce is overpriced and not worth it and the value just isn't there for that price and blah blah blah and I should just buy the Sako"
ummmm....hang on a sec hear bud.....5 minutes ago you had never even heard tell of Fierce Firearms or knew SFA about them until I told you about them,and now you are telling me that in your all-knowing expert opinion that they are overpriced and not worth the extra $$,WTF??
Thx for confirming that your opinion means absolutely nothing to me.
(FWIW,I put the Fierce on layaway with a chunky deposit the next day and while I likely won't be able to get it out with an appropriate optic et all before Nov.30,it's gonna be Merry Christmas to me)

Last edited by West O'5; 11-01-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:16 AM

"I have a damaged broadhead. I shot an elk with it. Can I get a new one under warranty?" "Also the insert is pulled out of the arrow 1/4". Can you reglue ir? And the Lumenock is not working either."
All from 1 elk being hit.
Meanwhile, there is no blood. No hair. No smell. One blade of a 125gr Montec is broken. The point is twisted.
I'm looking more along the lines of a tree being hit.
Guy says "Can you help a fella out? Times are really tough!"
Then drives away in an 80,000 dollar diesel with a newer quad in the back.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
"I have a damaged broadhead. I shot an elk with it. Can I get a new one under warranty?" "Also the insert is pulled out of the arrow 1/4". Can you reglue ir? And the Lumenock is not working either."
All from 1 elk being hit.
Meanwhile, there is no blood. No hair. No smell. One blade of a 125gr Montec is broken. The point is twisted.
I'm looking more along the lines of a tree being hit.
Guy says "Can you help a fella out? Times are really tough!"
Then drives away in an 80,000 dollar diesel with a newer quad in the back.

That's what happens when you get a reputation for being the best retail store in southern Alberta, people wouldn't even ask something like that in a lesser store!
Old 11-02-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinthesky View Post
That's what happens when you get a reputation for being the best retail store in southern Alberta, people wouldn't even ask something like that in a lesser store!
Thank you Sir
Old 11-02-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
Thank you Sir
Stopped in at WSS yesterday and heard a guy getting help buying his first rifle be asked what are you hunting? Elk, mule deer, whitetail deer? His reply was" I think ill only hunt Mule deer this year and maybe try sheep next year"...Im sure he will buy a regulations and figure out he will be hunting whitetail this year
Old 11-02-2017, 10:44 PM

On a Facebook page a guy claims his 7mm sighted in for zero at 200 yards only drops 8" by the time it gets to 500 yards!

Yah ok bud!

LC
Old 11-02-2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
On a Facebook page a guy claims his 7mm sighted in for zero at 200 yards only drops 8" by the time it gets to 500 yards!

Yah ok bud!

LC
Just reading that, a good laugh. That should be possible with 6000 to 7000fps muzzle velocity.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:45 PM

Not at a gun counter but.
Was signing into a lease today and spotted a 50 cal case sitting on the TV counter by the door.
Me: is that a 50 cal bullet?
Him: yes sir
Me: awsome, always wanted to shoot one of those.
He hands it to me to look at.
Me: holy crap thats big. Was doing some reading and these thing are about the same velocity of my 6.5x55 but mine is only good for 300 yards but these puppies will kill a guy at 2km.
Him: a Canadian sniper holds the record for the longest kill shot at 3.5 km.
Me: yay Canada. Fist pump
A guy standing beside me said that he would never know what hit him.
Him. At that distance the bullet would be going slow and the sound of the shot would pass it so he would definitely here the shot.
Me:thats nice to know.Next time I’m out hunting and I here a gun I’ll hit the dirt for a bit. May save my life. Better get to work.

We step outside and the guy that was signing in with me said: and the problem with him is that he has a gun that big and believes what he was trying to peddle us. lol
Old 11-03-2017, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
A guy standing beside me said that he would never know what hit him.
Him. At that distance the bullet would be going slow and the sound of the shot would pass it so he would definitely here the shot.

Of course once a round slows to subsonic the sound of its launch is catching up to it, but of course the bullet would be in the dirt by the time that it did catch up. It does make one wonder how the physics might play out at various degrees of inclination of the initial shot. Straight up would work as the sound would catch up to a bullet that is not only stopping, but changing direction of travel. It would work for shooting at parachutists
Old 11-03-2017, 08:24 AM
Banned

Was at the cabelas in South Edmonton and a father and son were walking by the gun library and the kid mentions something about the tusks outside the library and the dad says "they're mammoth trusks"

Notsureifserious.jpg

Lol
Old 11-03-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by play.soccer View Post
Was at the cabelas in South Edmonton and a father and son were walking by the gun library and the kid mentions something about the tusks outside the library and the dad says "they're mammoth trusks"

Notsureifserious.jpg

Lol
Best part about having kids your the smartest man alive when they are young they will believe anything you say hahahaa.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:33 AM

Was at cabelas last night and noticed a nice sako Bavarian on sale. I asked the guy there to check it out. He couldn't because he was in training. He then says to me "have you ever handled a tikka?" I reply yes I own a few. He than says " they are exactly the same rifle no difference between them" lol I wanted to tell him just because they are made in the same factory by the same company doesn't mean the same components go into them.

I didn't bother just walked away.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:32 PM
Banned

Customer walks into my buddies shop 10 mins from the QC border dressed in a 3 piece grey pinstripe suit topped off with white running shoes and a blaze orange camo baseball cap. In a pure french canadian accent....
“What size shots would you recommend for hunting partridges and geese with my 4:10?!
Old 11-19-2017, 07:40 PM

Just read this gem...had to share, word for word.

"300 wsm is junk you want something that stops the animal use the 300 win mag 180g you got no worry’s on losing the animal"

LC
Old 11-19-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Just read this gem...had to share, word for word.

"300 wsm is junk you want something that stops the animal use the 300 win mag 180g you got no worry’s on losing the animal"

LC
Makes total sense.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:22 AM

Had some one tell me a 7 mm shoots so flat if you zero it at 200 it will still be climbing at 300 yards and be 5 inches high! That is y I shoot a 7 mm flat tell 400 yards!
Oh boy good luck with that I said. Can't bring my self to shoot a 7 cuz lots of 7 guys out there think it is the greatest gun ever built and is 10 times better then anything else! To bad cuz I think it is a great round! Just can't stand some 7 guys!
Old 11-20-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry b View Post
Had some one tell me a 7 mm shoots so flat if you zero it at 200 it will still be climbing at 300 yards and be 5 inches high! That is y I shoot a 7 mm flat tell 400 yards!
Oh boy good luck with that I said. Can't bring my self to shoot a 7 cuz lots of 7 guys out there think it is the greatest gun ever built and is 10 times better then anything else! To bad cuz I think it is a great round! Just can't stand some 7 guys!
As soon as someone starts talking about their 7mm, I usually ask which 7mm, and it's surprising how often the person doesn't know which one they have.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:56 PM

It was a few years ago ...... and if I had a dime for every-time some said manufacturer "A" makes all the stuff for manufacturer "B" but it's just the packaging that's different - I freaking laugh.

***I am using "brand X" in this story to eliminate some hate mail. The brand is made overseas and is a piece of garbage.

Some counter jockey was showing some guy a cheap "brand X "and told him they were made in the same factory by Leupold ...... so of course my ears perked up and a smile formed on my face.

He had a few Leupolds laid out and the guy working there was pushing a cheap Brand "X" on him.

The customer asked him what the difference was in the price of the VX1 versus VX2 or VX3 scopes, and the counter jock told them "new generation of scopes" you are just paying for a 2016 when you can have a brand new 2014 for the same price ....

At that point I audibly laughed and just shook my head in front of the guy. The counter jockey didn't look to happy.

A few minutes later the customer wandered over to where I was and struck up a conversation and set him straight.

He told me his uncle suggested a Leupold and thought they were great scopes and now he was wavering based on his newly acquired expert opinion from the store clerk. I told him to disregard the counter jockey's expert opinion and listen to his uncle.

The lack of the most basic knowledge borders on fraud to me. Just simply ridiculous listening to these guys sometimes.

Last edited by EZM; 11-21-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:

Yah ok bud!

LC
if it was on AHA i was the one that called him out on it.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
It was a few years ago ...... and if I had a dime for every-time some said manufacturer "A" makes all the stuff for manufacturer "B" but it's just the packaging that's different - I freaking laugh.

***I am using "brand X" in this story to eliminate some hate mail. The brand is made overseas and is a piece of garbage.

Some counter jockey was showing some guy a cheap "brand X "and told him they were made in the same factory by Leupold ...... so of course my ears perked up and a smile formed on my face.

He had a few Leupolds laid out and the guy working there was pushing a cheap Brand "X" on him.

The customer asked him what the difference was in the price of the VX1 versus VX2 or VX3 scopes, and the counter jock told them "new generation of scopes" you are just paying for a 2016 when you can have a brand new 2014 for the same price ....

At that point I audibly laughed and just shook my head in front of the guy. The counter jockey didn't look to happy.

A few minutes later the customer wandered over to where I was and struck up a conversation and set him straight.

He told me his uncle suggested a Leupold and thought they were great scopes and now he was wavering based on his newly acquired expert opinion from the store clerk. I told him to disregard the counter jockey's expert opinion and listen to his uncle.

The lack of the most basic knowledge borders on fraud to me. Just simply ridiculous listening to these guys sometimes.

In optics the counter jockey is right on saying that often Brand X, Y and Z are made in the same factory as each other as many optics companies simply put their badge on scopes they have a foreign factory build for them. Leupold makes their own scopes. Some of the binos, spotting scopes and rangefinders are sourced from random foreign factories.

If the country jockey was talking about Redfield he isn't wrong. They are assembled in the Leupold factory and Leupold owns the company.

As for the VX 1, 2 and 3 he is obviously out to lunch.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
In optics the counter jockey is right on saying that often Brand X, Y and Z are made in the same factory as each other as many optics companies simply put their badge on scopes they have a foreign factory build for them. Leupold makes their own scopes. Some of the binos, spotting scopes and rangefinders are sourced from random foreign factories.

If the country jockey was talking about Redfield he isn't wrong. They are assembled in the Leupold factory and Leupold owns the company.

As for the VX 1, 2 and 3 he is obviously out to lunch.
In addition, doesn’t Vortex make the optics for Sig Sauer?
Old 11-22-2017, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
In addition, doesn’t Vortex make the optics for Sig Sauer?
Vortex is one of the companies that doesn't make optics. They give a factory (owned by another company) a design and spec, factory makes them a prototype, they make any revisions as needed and the factory makes them the scope.

The number of companies that make optics in house is fairly small. (Even make can be contested as often parts are outsourced). In the hunting scope market it is essentially Leupold, Zeiss (only the high end lines), Swarovski and Meopta that I can think of.

Companies like Nikon will make their high end lines (like EDG binos) in house but farm out their cheaper lines to non Nikon owned factories. So there are some blurred lines in this discussion.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
Vortex is one of the companies that doesn't make optics. They give a factory (owned by another company) a design and spec, factory makes them a prototype, they make any revisions as needed and the factory makes them the scope.

The number of companies that make optics in house is fairly small. (Even make can be contested as often parts are outsourced). In the hunting scope market it is essentially Leupold, Zeiss (only the high end lines), Swarovski and Meopta that I can think of.

Companies like Nikon will make their high end lines (like EDG binos) in house but farm out their cheaper lines to non Nikon owned factories. So there are some blurred lines in this discussion.
I thought Pentax was one of the largest optics manufacturers.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:10 AM

Leica is an optics giant and they make all their own products too.

LC
Old 11-22-2017, 08:16 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Not at the gum counter but close enough, Calgary gun show, sitting with the father in law as he had tables there, fella says he sight his 30-06 spot on at 100 yards, 5 shot cluster all bulls eyes...rifle is bang on at 300 yards too...I ask what the hold over, drop etc he says your not listening, spot on at 100 and 300.
Beauty eh!

Really met some real characters at these shows...oh well as long as they are buying you just keep on smiling.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-22-2017, 10:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Leica is an optics giant and they make all their own products too.

LC
So sad but even this isn't necessarily true. Most of their lens on their consumer cameras are made by Panasonic...and who knows where they source them.
A number of years back some of their spotting scopes were made by Kowa...don't know if that still holds true.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:30 PM

Was in my LGS yesterday and a guy wanted to return a box of 30/30 ammo. His reason was he and his wife shook them and it sounded like there was more powder in some than others.