Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-13-2008, 01:14 PM

Default Trailer Battery wiring question

Is it possible for me to run two 12 volt batteries on my trailer ? I want extended battery life and since I have a spare Deep Cycle 12 volt battery kicking around, I was hoping to use it rather than lay out the cash for a couple 6 volt batteries.

Any advice ????

Thanks

Dave
Old 06-13-2008, 01:53 PM
stubblejumper

Just hook them up in parallel,postive to positive,and negative to negative.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:59 PM

stubble is bang on and make sure you use a 4 guage wire at least to connect them. Personally though, I laid out the cash for 2 6 volts and there is no comparison to 2 12 volts. 6 volts give you at least 2 to 3 times the run time.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:01 PM

yep 2 6 volts work great gives me 3 times long run time
Old 06-13-2008, 02:13 PM
stubblejumper

Be aware that hooking up two batteries in parallel can present problems if the batteries are not identical and of the same age.If one battery is weaker,it will drag down the stronger one.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:52 PM

One more vote for 2 six volts vs 2 twelve volts. No question- it's the way to go.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:34 PM

Make sure both 12 volts are deep cycle. having one deep cycle and the othe a regular car battery they won't last long. I went with a 8d battery out of a cat, and it lasts a week easy with out having to charge.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Make sure both 12 volts are deep cycle. having one deep cycle and the othe a regular car battery they won't last long. I went with a 8d battery out of a cat, and it lasts a week easy with out having to charge.
please explain what is an 8D battery. I have heard other people have good luck with cat batteries.

thanks
Old 06-14-2008, 09:49 PM

An 8d is a big battery (roughly 24"x12"x10") the amp hour rating is way higher than a normal car battery. They are a bit heavier then two deep cycles, but it last alot longer life span. I've had to replace deep cycles after two years, and I've had the 8d for six years now.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:28 PM

did not know you could use an 8d...i have a couple kicking around..do you just put it in and hook it up???how long do they take to charge on the generator??
Old 06-16-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbait View Post
did not know you could use an 8d...i have a couple kicking around..do you just put it in and hook it up???how long do they take to charge on the generator??
Just hook it up like any other battery, pos to pos and neg to neg. Depending on how low you drain the battery will determine how long it takes to charge. When I let it drain low it takes about two solid days of charging. All I do is run the generator for a couple hours a day and it stays fully charged.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:31 PM
stubblejumper

AGM batteries are more pricey,but they can be charged much more quickly,and they are much more resistant to vibration than standard lead acid batteries.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:46 PM

Default 4d cat battery

So I went to a battery shop to get a 8D battery as suggested in this thread only to find it is too large to fit in the battery space on my trailer. They suggested a 4D battery as it is smaller. They also suggested that two 6 volts than would be just as good as a 4D. Has anyone tried a 4D battery or would you think I should go with two 6 volt batteries. They other possibility is to do a modification of the trailer so that a 8D will fit. Any suggestions?
Old 06-24-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
So I went to a battery shop to get a 8D battery as suggested in this thread only to find it is too large to fit in the battery space on my trailer. They suggested a 4D battery as it is smaller. They also suggested that two 6 volts than would be just as good as a 4D. Has anyone tried a 4D battery or would you think I should go with two 6 volt batteries. They other possibility is to do a modification of the trailer so that a 8D will fit. Any suggestions?
Not sure what your application is , but 2 deep cycle 12v's and a 2000W Honda generator will outlast any of the above suggestions.
If the stay is longer than 3 days and you may need the furnace and run tubs for kids , etc , I don't go without generator back up.
Especially with the new electronic fridges that stop working when the voltage drops too low.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:07 PM
s_buffalo

Quote:
They other possibility is to do a modification of the trailer so that a 8D will fit. Any suggestions?
My neighbour did just that with his new trailer... He moved the tanks forward and mounted his twin 6V batteries on a custom-welded battery tray closer to the forward wall.

Stinky
Old 06-24-2008, 06:48 PM

I just installed 2 six volt batteries on the brothers camper with minimal changes to his battery holder. I had to cut one side and move it forward half an inch for both to fit. He got his batteries from Peavey mart, they are PCF-3EH tractor batteries, and I think that its going to be better than the single 12 volt cat battery I installed on my own trailer. Total cost was $ 212.00 for the batteries, and the welding was free.

Last edited by outlaw'd; 01-15-2009 at 09:27 AM.