Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-22-2008, 09:15 AM

Default Dog Question

We have a flock of Huns running around or neighborhood in Calgary that I think have been into too much weed and feed. They don't act like normal huns and they have never learned to fly in short bursts but just try to out run the neighborhood cats. The other day I went out and a couple girls were all upset as their dog which looks like some type of husky cross had a hun in his mouth and was trying to swallow it. There was no way that we could get that dog to release the bird. I tried a light rap on the nose but not being my dog and it starting to get angry I took it easy. Finally I remembered that when I was a kid and dogs ran free in our town of Coleman we would have lots of dog fights.. The best way to stop a fight was to pour a couple of buckets of water on them. So we took this dog to a hose and started to spray him and he spat out the bird. My question to the dog guys is how do you get a strange dog to release a bird it has caught without getting your arm ripped off. we started with 12 birds in the winter and are now down to 2 or 3.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:33 AM

Hand over the nose, grasp the top jaw with an all-round grasp, pushing the edges of its lips into its own teeth. Not a tight grasp, just a bit of pressure. Most dogs will spit whatever they have grabbed. One of my buddies had a dog that would never drop the grouse. Used the nose grab a few times and the dog learned to drop the bird quite quickly.

This also worked on a miserable and out of control pitbull cross that grabbed my lab at the off leash park.

Food rewards and praise upon release also work really well.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:57 AM

If you get a soup can, and put coins and small stones in it, and put a lid on it, shake it hard and make a racket. It will usually put the fear of god in most dogs, but to be honest trying to defeat a dogs most vital and primitive instinct could be impossible.

If its not your dog, I wouldn't dare try to grab the dogs nose, unless it was attacking a kid or something. I've done the exact grab on a dog, and it is effective, since you force the dog to bite its own lip. You can also jam your thumb behind the dogs teeth forcing it to gag, or pinch the middle of the jaw. Yet don't plan on holding it for too long, since once the dog realizes its choking, it will clamp through anything. I've rescued a few dogs, one just recently, and I have the scars that go with capturing a large fearful dog.

I really wonder if its anything to worry about, since if the birds are too fat to fly, then in all honesty their "sitting ducks". Maybe the exercise will do them some good? Also if a dogs got a bird in its mouth, the bird is better off dying, and the dog will be better off with the meal. I'd imagine some city dogs would gorge themselves sick, or like you said, choke trying to swallow it whole. Yet I bet he figured out how to eat it, if he had the chance.

You might want to contact F&W, or the city if you find it concerning enough.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:19 AM

that leads to dogs being hard mouth. the correct way is to grab his ear and blow a good breath of air into his ear. another way is to apply pressure to his lower back at the hind legs.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:06 PM

I like to grab the dog around the rear flank and squeeze. Just increase pressure it wont hurt the dog but it doesnt feel nice. Just be prepared to move your hand fast as the dog could turn and bite.

Best way is too just leave the dog alone and go straight to the owner. I know there would be hell to pay if I seen anyone doing anything like what has been mentioned to my dog.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Gone Hunting

I step on a toe.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 06-22-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I step on a toe.
Robert G. Wehle used to do this to train his pointers to fetch. I never thought of it until you said it. Another good idea.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:48 PM

I just slide my hand up the front of the back leg and grab the loose skin at the top between his leg and body and they have always immediately spit out what ever is in their mouth.

Mav.....
Old 06-22-2008, 06:43 PM

A good pinch on the foot from the top to the bottom is all that is needed. Stepping on it may do some major damage. Check it out on your little buddy when he does something you don't like......great for training pups.

tm
Old 06-22-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
A good pinch on the foot from the top to the bottom is all that is needed. Stepping on it may do some major damage. Check it out on your little buddy when he does something you don't like......great for training pups.

tm
Stepping on the dogs foot wont break it if your not stomping on it. Simply put your foot over the dogs and slowly press down with more and more pressure. Eventually its going to hurt enough the dog is going to yelp and open its mouth releasing whatever it has. This works for getting a dog to begin holding objects.

You need to straddle the dog and use your heel for the best results.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:18 PM

If you are on a table using a the toe pinch method for force fetching, I think this is a great way to get a dog to open its mouth. Using your foot makes it hard to control the pressure as you can not feel it through the soles of your feet.
Pinching the skin at the top of a dogs back legs where the front of the dogs back legs meets the body will work and you will not run the risk of hurting the dog. Rolling what ever the dog has in its mouth backwards into its mouth will also work most times as well.

Mav.....

Last edited by Maverick_Brittany; 06-22-2008 at 09:19 PM. Reason: bad spelling
Old 06-23-2008, 12:02 AM

Most times you are notgoing to be able to get a dog on the table and getting your face that close if you bend over to do it on the round is just a bad idea.

I would assume if the dog doesnt want to give you whatever is in its mouth it is just going to clamp down on the item making it impossible to roll the item back.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:33 AM

You do not have to get your face close to grab that part of a dog. If you are you are doing it wrong.
Stepping on a dogs toe unless you have layed the foundation on a table with the toe pinch is a bac idea as you have little control over the pressure.
Now if the dog has been FF'd then they will almost always release what ever is in their mouth if you just tap their toes and a great way to remind them to release what is in their mouth.
Re. rolling the bird back in the mouth; I have seen it work in some dogs. Some clamp down some just roll the bird around in their mouth, it depends on the dog but it does work on some of them.

Mav.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanGSP View Post
Most times you are notgoing to be able to get a dog on the table and getting your face that close if you bend over to do it on the round is just a bad idea.

I would assume if the dog doesnt want to give you whatever is in its mouth it is just going to clamp down on the item making it impossible to roll the item back.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
.....The other day I went out and a couple girls were all upset as their dog which looks like some type of husky cross had a hun in his mouth and was trying to swallow it. There was no way that we could get that dog to release the bird. I tried a light rap on the nose but not being my dog and it starting to get angry I took it easy......My question to the dog guys is how do you get a strange dog to release a bird it has caught without getting your arm ripped off......
Considering the described circumstances and the question you took the best approach I can possibly think of.