Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-21-2008, 12:01 AM

Default Portable Electric Fencing ??

We are thinking of buying a set up for our hunting camp and have found alot of good info but I am just wondering if any of you guys out there have a set up and what do you think of it? I got some good info from Pierre Frigon, the Pro Staff member already but would like to hear from others also... so does anybody use this or is it a thing of the past since there is NOT ANY MORE GRIZZ left in Alberta.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:10 AM
Gone Hunting

I've used Gallagher equipment when hunting with horses. Keeps them in and bears out. I think it works well. I put yellow ribbons on mine. When the horses are used to the wire , even if the power fails for soem reason the ribbonned wire will keep them in.

Honey producers use the "hot wire to kep the bears of the hives they put in fireweed areas. Some times the landings are very dry and ground contact is less than perfect. Some lay poultry net arond the perimeter and ground it.
I was watching a black bear heading up a skid road towards a set of hives.
When he hit the wire, he flipped over backwards and took off running. He may still be running.
I've never had bear problems when the wire was up, but I sure have had some bears in camp when we didn't use it.
We used a small power pack that used "D" cell batteries. They lasted a long time. Now they have solar powered units, but I've never used them.
The electric ribbon is available now on a spool to run it out and rewind it.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 06-21-2008, 05:03 PM

Here's some details you may find helpful although it is also for a permanent setup:

Electric Fence Specifications

Charger: Use a fence charger that has a joule rating >.5 joules and delivers at least 5000 volts. The least expensive models that we use are the Gallagher B7S (.75 joules) and it is a 12-volt system that can be used where AC power is not available. Model M80 (.8 joules) b used where AC power is available. You can use more powerful model, but they are more expensive.

Batteries: The 12-volt systems work best with a 12-volt deep cycle marine battery connected to a solar panel that will keep the 12-volt battery charged. The solar panel is also sold by Gallagher and easily connects to the battery.

Poly-wire: We use the poly-wire for temporary fences because it is easier to install and tighten. We prefer to use the wire instead of the tape, because the tape can turn and slide over the back of a bear instead of sliding into the fur and making contact with me skin. The preferred poly-wire has at least 6 strands of metal wire interwoven with me poly-wire. It is preferable to use the 9 strands of metal wire if possible.

Insulators: We use the plastic snap on insulators for metal T-posts and the 6 inch nail on insulators for wooden posts.

Posts: For temporary fences or areas of rocky or hard ground, we use 6 ft. metal T-post and pound them in. If the ground is level, we space metal posts up to 20 ft. apart. If the ground is uneven, it will be necessary to decrease that distance so the wires follow the contour.

Ground Rod: We use a 4 ft. ground rod mat we pound into me ground and attach to the grounded portion of the fence. We also wrap me ground wire around the T-posts instead of using insulators.

Fence specs: We use a 4 ft. high fence with 7 wires. The top wire is at 4 ft. and the wires below are 6 to 8 inches apart. The sequence is as follows: Top: Hot Second: Hot Third: Ground Fourth: Hot Fifth: Ground Sixth: Hot Seventh: Ground

Since the bottom wire is a ground wire, it is OK if it touches the ground and vegetation. Try to keep the wires that are hot away from vegetation or a metal post or tree that might cause it to ground out the entire fence.