Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
My only comment would be not to be concerned how others hunt. Hunt the way you like but don't be trying to tell others what "real hunting" is.

Biggest BS on the hunting forum is some members who are always thinking they should decide what level of technology is acceptable. If you use less then they think then you are not a responsible hunter, if you use more then your not really hunting.
Just concern yourself with how you hunt. If its legal that is all you should be concerned about.
Absolutely!
Old 05-26-2017, 05:04 AM

Hunt the way you want with gadgets and gizmos if that's "real hunting" to you go for it .Hunting without gadgets and gizmos is your thing go for it

don't worry about the forum talk on the internet . its just that talk.

Quote:
My only comment would be not to be concerned how others hunt. Hunt the way you like but don't be trying to tell others what "real hunting" is.

Biggest BS on the hunting forum is some members who are always thinking they should decide what level of technology is acceptable. If you use less then they think then you are not a responsible hunter, if you use more then your not really hunting.
Just concern yourself with how you hunt. If its legal that is all you should be concerned about.
x2 agreed
\
Old 05-26-2017, 05:46 AM
Banned

Quote:

For many, it is more important to be ethical than legal. Perfect example? There are many who do believe it is ethical to shoot over bait (bear in Alberta, deer elsewhere) or 'hunt' behind high fences, but it may be legal or take that super long shot.

Yes, many have different views of what is ethical, but just because it is legal, your own conscience and values need to be a guide.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:17 AM

I don't know what "new hunters" everyone else is hanging around with, but the ones I know don't have game cameras, camo, ATV's, quads, SxS's, etc.

Most are asking me (or asking a few times a week on this forum) what their first rifle ought to be that they can buy for <$500. They also get intimidated by draw booklets the first time and don't seem to understand many of the regs.

Thats new hunters.

I do know alot of old experienced hunters who have every calibre of rifle in their safe at home, though...

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:49 AM

I view the idea of the thread a bit different, my thoughts went directly to the costs of some of this stuff.

Many of us were lucky too have access to a rifle little lone a hand full of ammo of mixed brands and different weighted bullets. Finding the funds for gas too get us to the harvest areas was a challange of its own.

I felt poor back then much like today as the odd person had a nice rifle and optics, its was not because we didn't want more stuff that would improve our success,,, but others and I "might" not of had those funds too buy this stuff.

I stugged with old worn down 30/30, 303 and shot gun with no clip for many years before landing a job as I saved up cash for my first new rifle.

It took many years too build up the collection of optics, rifles, gadgets, and other things too improve the quality and success in the "all" out door activities.

Alot of stuff I did not buy into because of funds, and I liked too work with what I had or could come up with on my own,,, frugal way too do things I guess.

Any-who,,, It is each person's choosing too what they want and need at the all. Today I see lots of stuff at high prices, so I hold back as my Harvesting days are limited,,, but I do enjoy plinking so long as it fits the budget.

Hunting is at the back part of my list now days, just being in the wilds sight seeing and relaxing is more than enough.

My saved funds get me there,,, it seems to me that alot of this stuff and gadgets won't come in handy for me at this point in the game, but for others they most likely will.

I agree that folks choose what works for them, same for me on the low road.

This might be why I build out door stuff that is with in my skills, buy and own what cash allows, and dream about ways I can do with out in "many" categories in what life offers.

I'm into year 14 of America travels as its a sight seeing adventure. This is done by saving extra funds to extend the amount of time doing it. LOL.

I hope or wish that many of us including my self that we live with in our means as it allows us to do stuff when we choose to do it.

The world has many paths too take us where ever, the trick for us or I is too set our selves up with stuff when the time comes that we are in-line with the hobby, sport, or activities we want when the work sift in life ends and we take on what we aligned our selves with.

Just having the opertunity too be in the out-doors is more than I need,,, lucky I hope.

Don
Old 05-26-2017, 07:19 AM

good post
Old 05-26-2017, 07:47 AM
Banned

i would just say get off your quad or side by side and walk, walk , walk! Other than that i dont really care. Too many guys now hardly step foot out of their truck or off their quad
Old 05-26-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:

Potentially the best thing I have ever read on a hunting forum. Well said.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:53 AM
Banned

My boys want to start hunting this year (14 & 16).
Bought them (well, me really ) a Sharps carbine in 45-70.
The only shooting aid they get are a nice set of oak shooting sticks.
When they learn how to hunt with their god-given abilities and they're out working they can buy all the tecky stuff they want or can afford.
They're also leaning to drive on a manual transmission.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:55 AM
Banned

Your boys are fortunate to have someone to teach them.

You'd probably see a lot less "gizmos" out there if more people had someone to show them how to hunt without them.

Some of us didn't have a dad or such to teach them.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
they're out working they can buy all the tecky stuff they want or can afford.
I agree with all bobtodrick has posted in this thread. If its legal then have at it. Your style of hunting might not fit my ethics but I'm not going to shame you on AO b/c of it. Keep it legal and I'm fine with it.

Not sure how old the OP is but most of the young hunters I know cant afford the latest and greatest. My first rifle was an open sight Parker Hale 308. Eventually put a fixed scope on it and away I went. One could debate that its these affluent Baby Boomers who have forgotten what hunting is all about now that they have the means to by all the toys.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:51 AM

Default pretty broad strokes...

When the OP has almost 10,000 posts and gives others a hard time for using forums and technology...I have a hard time listening. I'd say it sounds like painting a lot of folks with the same brush...not all "new hunters" are tech crazy, and just because some people are new to actually harvesting an animal, does not mean that they are new to spending time in the bush...keep it legal, keep it ethical, and hunt the way you want to...and worry about how you're doing it, not others! Nuff said.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:04 AM
Banned

"Legal" has little to do with being ethical and ethics are so variable between people as to mean little, thus both are poor guide lines for hunters.

Consider that the more efficient we become at killing the less opportunity we have to pursue it and the less acceptable we are to the general public who ultimately will control us.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsolo1 View Post
When the OP has almost 10,000 posts and gives others a hard time for using forums and technology...I have a hard time listening. I'd say it sounds like painting a lot of folks with the same brush...not all "new hunters" are tech crazy, and just because some people are new to actually harvesting an animal, does not mean that they are new to spending time in the bush...keep it legal, keep it ethical, and hunt the way you want to...and worry about how you're doing it, not others! Nuff said.
Exactly.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
You've all got this new technology. Game cameras, Internet discussion forums, google maps,cammo this and cammo that, heck you even got cammo seat covers. Massive ATV's, quads, side x sides, Argos. GPS's and all that jazz. You even got range finders, scopes like Huskymomma's, night vision stuff. Seriously now, have you ever considered about giving your God given gifts of sight, smell and hearing against your quarry to make it a "REAL HUNTING" experience? I mean, get back to what real hunting is all about, without the use of the electronic gizzmos. Obviously bow hunters do come into such a category, but they too enjoy some of the advantages of the electronic age. It sure would be nice to see what a "HUNTING" would be like in a more challenging fashion. Comments?
Gitr, I get what you are saying, and I agree to an extent. First of all, I understand you are not criticizing "new" or "young" hunters. You are speaking more about "new age, modern" hunters.

Of course we are victims to a degree of consumerism focused on us by manufacturers. We have every personality on TV raving about his or her sponsor's "must have" technology. We gotta have that infrared, ozone spewing, digital, "TACTICAL" doohickey. We have to find the biggest animal we can, the fastest we can. High fences make it even easier. We train for 1000 yard shots even when we could get closer. I do think a few items, like rangefinders, don't really help you harvest as much as help ensure an ethical, clean kill, so I don't have any problem with those.

Now if you have limited time and you need the meat ASAP, I guess all that technology makes sense. Don't want to waste time roaming around, tracking, scouting, worrying about using the wind to mask your scent, etc. But if it's more of a passion, a lifestyle, a cherished activity, than a harvest, then the technology doesn't add much.

And having said all this, please understand I'm not condemning anyone who uses any particular technology in a legal way. Heck I use some myself. And I don't see it as much of an ethical issue either. For me it's more a comment on the pressure to buy all this crap. I guess another factor is that many of us cherish hunting because it takes us back to our primordial roots as a hunting creature. To me, layering a lot of technology on top of that just takes us further away from that heritage.

It reminds me of golf manufacturers constantly bringing out a "better" or "longer" golf ball or driver. Why? It doesn't add to the enjoyment of the game. It just makes it a requirement to redesign courses to meet the new technology. You don't have any more fun playing golf now than you did 30 years ago, and fun is the only reason to do it.

Last edited by Okotokian; 05-26-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:38 AM
Banned

Thank WILDtv for this.. They made it mainstream.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:17 PM
Banned

Same difference as the fly fisherperson and the person trolling from a boat with a sonar unit.
For some the end result is what it is all about...for others it's all about the journey.
For our vacation this year we are driving to Prince Rupert. The goal is to spend as little time on paved roads as possible, take 3 or 4 days to get there and camp along the way.
I could fly and get there in a couple of hours....but what fun is that?
Old 05-26-2017, 12:29 PM

What is with young/new travellers these days? Fancy jet with personal tv, hot meal, alcohol, and blanket? Travel used to be about getting on a tall ship, 3 month journey where an acceptable death rate was 20-30%. This new technology has taken the fun out of travelling.

What is with these new/young soldiers? Body armour, night vision, tanks, drones, and guns? War used to be about marching 3 months and meeting the enemy face to face on the battlefield.

Thee above all sarcastic, I support our soldiers. The OP sounds like the typical grumpy old man. When I get old I pray I do not end up jealous of the new/upcoming generation because they have more than me. We should be proud of new/upcoming generation instead of saying how hard we had it and how easy they now have it. I think the OP needs to be invited by a young/new hunter so he can enjoy the outdoors. Who knows he might even enjoy following a gps track rather than following the North star or telling the time by a watch instead of looking up to see how high the sun is
Old 05-26-2017, 01:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fur View Post
What is with young/new travellers these days? Fancy jet with personal tv, hot meal, alcohol, and blanket? Travel used to be about getting on a tall ship, 3 month journey where an acceptable death rate was 20-30%. This new technology has taken the fun out of travelling.

What is with these new/young soldiers? Body armour, night vision, tanks, drones, and guns? War used to be about marching 3 months and meeting the enemy face to face on the battlefield.

Thee above all sarcastic, I support our soldiers. The OP sounds like the typical grumpy old man. When I get old I pray I do not end up jealous of the new/upcoming generation because they have more than me. We should be proud of new/upcoming generation instead of saying how hard we had it and how easy they now have it. I think the OP needs to be invited by a young/new hunter so he can enjoy the outdoors. Who knows he might even enjoy following a gps track rather than following the North star or telling the time by a watch instead of looking up to see how high the sun is
I think the OP knows what people like you are missing. I do to and feel just a little sorry for you.....and the future of hunting.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstone View Post
I think the OP knows what people like you are missing. I do to and feel just a little sorry for you.....and the future of hunting.
x2
Fur...it's not that us oldtimers begrudge modern technology...one of my other guns that the boys may eventually use has a modern expensive mildot scope, with level and inclinometer, bipod, adjustable everything.
What you're missing (and any flyfisher person will tell you) there's something about going one on one against nature with mostly you wits and skill as opposed to a bunch of store bought technology.
Your loss if you don't see the difference.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:55 PM

OP.... You forgot drones.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Real hunting can be as simple as legally harvesting game meat for the table where legally allowed by any means that is legal and any quantity that is legal.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
Real hunting can be as simple as legally harvesting game meat for the table where legally allowed by any means that is legal and any quantity that is legal.
It can be for some....and they won't even know what they are missing. If it's legal do it!!
Old 05-26-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Gitr, I get what you are saying, and I agree to an extent. First of all, I understand you are not criticizing "new" or "young" hunters. You are speaking more about "new age, modern" hunters.

Of course we are victims to a degree of consumerism focused on us by manufacturers. We have every personality on TV raving about his or her sponsor's "must have" technology. We gotta have that infrared, ozone spewing, digital, "TACTICAL" doohickey. We have to find the biggest animal we can, the fastest we can. High fences make it even easier. We train for 1000 yard shots even when we could get closer. I do think a few items, like rangefinders, don't really help you harvest as much as help ensure an ethical, clean kill, so I don't have any problem with those.

Now if you have limited time and you need the meat ASAP, I guess all that technology makes sense. Don't want to waste time roaming around, tracking, scouting, worrying about using the wind to mask your scent, etc. But if it's more of a passion, a lifestyle, a cherished activity, than a harvest, then the technology doesn't add much.

And having said all this, please understand I'm not condemning anyone who uses any particular technology in a legal way. Heck I use some myself. And I don't see it as much of an ethical issue either. For me it's more a comment on the pressure to buy all this crap. I guess another factor is that many of us cherish hunting because it takes us back to our primordial roots as a hunting creature. To me, layering a lot of technology on top of that just takes us further away from that heritage.

It reminds me of golf manufacturers constantly bringing out a "better" or "longer" golf ball or driver. Why? It doesn't add to the enjoyment of the game. It just makes it a requirement to redesign courses to meet the new technology. You don't have any more fun playing golf now than you did 30 years ago, and fun is the only reason to do it.
Thanks, Oki. I think you did a very good job of expressing the heart of what I think my friend was getting at. Very good post.

It saddens me to see how quick the pile on mentality comes out. Why can't people just agree to disagree? Not good.

After rereading the OP, I think if Git would have used the word "newfangled" instead of "new", I don't think there would have been the feces storm. I get what he was saying though.

Last edited by sns2; 05-26-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstone View Post
It can be for some....and they won't even know what they are missing. If it's legal do it!!
There is a fine line between telling people what they are missing and what may be perceived as judgmental preaching. Too much of the later going on these threads.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
There is a fine line between telling people what they are missing and what may be perceived as judgmental preaching. Too much of the later going on these threads.
You are right, " judgemental preaching" is not for me, expressing my opinion is.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:13 PM

Clint Eastwood voice-
"Get off my lawn"..
Old 05-26-2017, 07:51 PM

OK, this thread has convinced me to change my ways. This year when I go sheep hunting I will only take Tractor( #3 mule), a pointed stick and my hand made knife. Hope he(the mule) can out run a book ram. Wish me luck !!
Old 05-26-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post

Good post

I think that the hunting creature thing is within our genes for sure but attempting to make sport of it for me is not primal.

Primal man learned to hunt and kill as a means of survival. Success meant that everyone would eat well for a few days and then the hunt would begin again. Failure meant that starvation was a reality and injury during the hunt may mean death due to an infection that would be no big deal for us today. Primal man probably hunted on a stomach that had not been filled with meat for several days. For primal man, hunting was hard work and more probably was a battle between life and death. More often than not primal man dined on lizards or squirrels or or bird eggs instead of prime rib.

I really do not have much of a point here, other than I have never been starved a day in my life. I remember times like when I crawled on my belly half a mile through sage and pear cactus to get a shot a Wyoming antelope with my Sako 25-06 with Leupold scope. At least I did not have a bipod or use a range finder.

For over 50 seasons I have hunted for many reasons but I hunt now because my dad was a hunter, but mostly because I enjoy the taste of game meat. I love AAA marbled beef but I just know game meat was what we were meant to eat. For me meat on the table is not the be all end all but it is as close as I can get my roots.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:52 PM

the way farmers are producing arable land from previously unusable potholes and fenceline bushes.
this is bar none the greatest threat over a trail cam.
how many more years before hunt ranch farms are going to be the new way to hunt, just learning to accept it will be the difference between the new and the nostalgic.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Closed Thread