Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-23-2017, 11:11 PM

Exclamation Experience With Fall Bear Baiting?

This spring I am baiting in a new location, action has really started to pick up as of may 17th
However it's been fairly inconsistent, being a new non established bait site
Seems fairly normal to me..

I am thinking of trying a fall bait this year as well, to keep return customers

I would like to hear other experience baiting black bears in the fall?

Heard it can be tough if there's oat field in the area for sure
Old 05-24-2017, 08:10 AM

talk to a nearby farmer with oats. If they are bailing them ask if you could buy a couple small ones. drag it into your site in early September and let them feed on that. Many farmers would be happy to see the bears gone, especially if they have cattle. We put an oat bale at our main bait last fall. they hammered it up until they denned. when we went up on good Friday to stock our bait they had already been on the oats rooting around.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:45 AM

I've been baiting for the last 2 falls up in northern Alberta so there are no oat fields around and I have great luck baiting in the fall. Some of my bears would be at my bait site for 20 out of 24 hours in the day. And when they would leave they would come right back. All I use is popcorn. I find it to be the cheapest bait and its light if you have to walk in to your bait site. I have a few small inch holes drilled in my barrel and it's chained to the tree with about 6 feet of chain they roll it and only get a few pieces of popcorn, this keeps them there longer and keeps my bait in the barrel longer because sometimes I can't get to my bait to refill for 4 days or so. Where my bait site is located it is covered with blueberries in the surrounding area and they still wanted at my bait. But so far I've found them to stick around my bait for in the fall then the spring. I know a lot of guys won't even bother baiting in the fall because they say it's hit or miss because the bears have so much natural food sources that they could care less about your bait but from my findings it was the opposite. Hope this helps !

Hartsky
Old 08-03-2017, 01:13 PM

Super encouraging last post...i'm thinking of trying baiting this fall for the first time ever...have only tried rifle spot/stalk in Whitecourt & Swan Hills areas and always loved it. Want to try baiting and archery this fall with my son...its our first real kick at archery. we think we have a spot picked out in WMU 510. Interesting note about the popcorn...any flavor added or just using it straight up? and you pop yourself or swing a deal somewhere?