Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangosteen View Post
Hehe. Not that bad but I don't directly touch public washroom door handles at any time. Do you?

Lol, just bugging you. I'm the guy who lifts the toilet seat with my shoe, takes a leak, operates the flush handle with my shoe, grabs the paper towel with out touching the dispenser to use to open the door handle to exit the washroom...did I wash my hands?????

Gotta love those restaurants when your sitting in a booth, the waitress pours the coffee and you notice the ring around cup or the lipstic on the rim. You ask for a clean cup, they apologize. She pours a new one, as you drink the lukewarm stale brew you become aware of an awful smell and realize its coming from the stained sour towel the waiter clearing the table across from you is using, you wonder if they used the same towel on your table, you know it was. You ponder the slowly evaporating wet film as you gaze at that table now ready for the next patrons. That's when you notice the greasy little hand prints on the window next to you and also become aware of the mystery chunk on those slimy salt and pepper shakers. Your beginning to feel queasy, that's when you inadvertently drop your fork on the seat which slides into the crack of the bench, when you retrieve it a soggy linty crumby ketchup stained french fry comes with it..........
Old 05-22-2017, 10:22 AM
Gone Hunting

I think I logged into the wrong forum by accident.

I thought I was on an outdorsman forum.

This weekend I was up north fishing. While there we ran into a party of teachers from Fort Vermillion.
They were fishing too.

Four women, camping and fishing where there are no campgrounds, no amenities, but lots of dust, Mosquitoes, Bears and unsanitized water.

I should have invited them to join this forum. maybe they could bring some common sense to this discussion.

Some of the oldest people in this country today lived their whole lives without the benefit of modern sanitation. At sixty years old they were healthier then any one of us here today.

My dad was one of them and he had a saying.

He used to say, I've drank out of wagon ruts that were dirtier then that.

Meaning, " it ain't gonna kill ya." FWIW he had drank out of wagon runts.

People complain about some janitor sweeping up during business hours, and I'd be willing to bet they would be a lot more offended if that floor was dirty and no one was doing anything about it.

When common sense dies, no one wins.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-22-2017, 10:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Lol, just bugging you. I'm the guy who lifts the toilet seat with my shoe, takes a leak, operates the flush handle with my shoe, grabs the paper towel with out touching the dispenser to use to open the door handle to exit the washroom...did I wash my hands?????

Gotta love those restaurants when your sitting in a booth, the waitress pours the coffee and you notice the ring around cup or the lipstic on the rim. You ask for a clean cup, they apologize. She pours a new one, as you drink the lukewarm stale brew you become aware of an awful smell and realize its coming from the stained sour towel the waiter clearing the table across from you is using, you wonder if they used the same towel on your table, you know it was. You ponder the slowly evaporating wet film as you gaze at that table now ready for the next patrons. That's when you notice the greasy little hand prints on the window next to you and also become aware of the mystery chunk on those slimy salt and pepper shakers. Your beginning to feel queasy, that's when you inadvertently drop your fork on the seat which slides into the crack of the bench, when you retrieve it a soggy linty crumby ketchup stained french fry comes with it..........
Me too about the toilet seats. Same same in a public bathroom.
Many people are this way.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

This weekend I was up north fishing. While there we ran into a party of teachers from Fort Vermillion.
They were fishing too.

Four women, camping and fishing where there are no campgrounds, no amenities, but lots of dust, Mosquitoes, Bears and unsanitized water.

I should have invited them to join this forum. maybe they could bring some common sense to this discussion.

Some of the oldest people in this country today lived their whole lives without the benefit of modern sanitation. At sixty years old they were healthier then any one of us here today.

People complain about some janitor sweeping up during business hours, and I'd be willing to bet they would be a lot more offended if that floor was dirty and no one was doing anything about it.

Of course when your away from major population things are different. Hey I grew up on the farm where running water was going to the well 50 yards from the house and carry it back. These days times are different. Just go to a big mall. Look around.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:

They were fishing too.

Well said. I'm willing to bet most people's homes aren't any better then what they're bit**ing about on this forum.

Time to pull the big girl panties up and talk about real life problems like Trump, Truedope, the new UPC VS NDP, North Korea, or the Middle East!

Or we could get back to what AO Is suppose to be about!

BW
Old 05-22-2017, 12:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
It infuriates me when people have the gall to eat while I am trying to sweep the floor
Now that is good satire!
Old 05-22-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Yep and I think it's classy for restaurants and hotels along with wineries to have that garbage bin next to the inside of the door at the bathrooms so you can grab the handle through a paper towel and then just leave the paper towel drop into the basket. It's not just me. There are many that are careful.

It's not any syndrome or fear. It's common sense. Ever wonder why flu spreads so fast.
Exactly right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
The gooder is those boxes of Tim Hortons timbits or doughnuts at work. Left the bathroom the same time as a coworker and noticed he didn't wash his hands. Went right for the timbits in the customer lounge right after. I don't eat carbs or sugar so I didnt care. Enjoy folks... lol
Yeah, I eat off my plate, not everyone's plate. I don't know where their hands have been.

It's ok to be clean (and not smell disgusting!), and not want to eat food that is defiled by feces and God knows what else. Really.

You probably have a lower germ count and cleaner environment when you go out into the woods camping. But I still filter my drinking water, I don't drink out of wagon ruts. Jesus.....since when is basic sanitation and personal hygiene a bad thing, and a sure sign of gender confusion and sexual dysfunction?? Me, I'll keep washing my hands dozens of times a day, and showering when I get up, and when I come home from work, and not eating anyplace that is obviously filthy. If that is a mental illness.....I'll take that over food poisoning, the flu, and eating excrement any day.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-22-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:

Yup the ones that lived got better, their immune system got stronger, the rest just died of cholera, tuberculosis, consumption, influenza, typhus, yellow fever, smallpox, food poisoning , infections or any number of common things they used to spread around, get sick and die from cause they didn't know any better.

Drinking out of a ditch, puddle, rusty hubcap, or the cows water trough doesn't bother me, chances are no other human has drank out of it and left their viruses there in ages. Might have got the runs on occasion though...lol...
Old 05-22-2017, 03:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Exactly right.

Yeah, I eat off my plate, not everyone's plate. I don't know where their hands have been.

It's ok to be clean (and not smell disgusting!), and not want to eat food that is defiled by feces and God knows what else. Really.

You probably have a lower germ count and cleaner environment when you go out into the woods camping. But I still filter my drinking water, I don't drink out of wagon ruts. Jesus.....since when is basic sanitation and personal hygiene a bad thing, and a sure sign of gender confusion and sexual dysfunction?? Me, I'll keep washing my hands dozens of times a day, and showering when I get up, and when I come home from work, and not eating anyplace that is obviously filthy. If that is a mental illness.....I'll take that over food poisoning, the flu, and eating excrement any day.
Amen. Well said.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Exactly right.

Well said.

Glad I'm not one of you "tough" guys that think eating another man's **** is OK. I'll take the sanitary road please and thank you. It's not the dark ages anymore and most of the human race has figured out how diseases are spread. Enjoy the yellow snow.

Signed: another guy that washes his hands, showers, uses deodorant, and doesn't drink from the gutter (even my dog knew better for crying out loud)
Old 05-22-2017, 06:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yup the ones that lived got better, their immune system got stronger, the rest just died of cholera, tuberculosis, consumption, influenza, typhus, yellow fever, smallpox, food poisoning , infections or any number of common things they used to spread around, get sick and die from cause they didn't know any better.

Drinking out of a ditch, puddle, rusty hubcap, or the cows water trough doesn't bother me, chances are no other human has drank out of it and left their viruses there in ages. Might have got the runs on occasion though...lol...
Yes on the immune system. I have become totally accustomed to pretty well everything Peru has to offer because the more time you spend in a country that's different the stronger you get.

Same with the Middle East and Asia.

What is risky is human waste and human virus.

Why do you think modern airports have infrared faucets that turn on instead of you having to twist a handle?

By the way airplanes have got to be the worst.

I always take echanesia every time I am in for an overseas flight. The dry air makes your breathing system very vulnerable. Then you pay the price at your destination.

Living in Islamic countries for six years you learn lots. You realize they don't use toilet paper. Just a nozzle of water and the left hand. Get my drift? Enjoy the pizza.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Me too about the toilet seats.
too much info
Old 05-22-2017, 08:16 PM
Banned

North Korea could get it right and the radiation fallout will be way worse,

you'll long for the days when it's only dust and other peoples germs on your plate.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:25 PM
Gone Hunting

I understand, and follow basic hygiene, that's not the issue.
This world is full of dangers, some big some small, some always lethal, some seldom lethal.

It seems to me that someone sweeping a floor while someone else is eating is about as far down the danger list as one can get.

Dust is not germs. It may have some germs on it but I'd bet that most peoples mouths have more germs and more dangerous germs then the dust on a properly maintained restaurant floor would have.

Honestly, I've never seen dust on a restaurant floor. Not in any small town restaurant and most certainly not in any big city restaurant surrounded by thousands of acres of pavement and manicured lawns.

Hygiene is necessary, to a point.

The fact is, there are germs in every cubic micro meter of space on this planet. We can not eliminate them all, or even a significant portion of them.

The more we try, the more resistant strains will appear and the less we will be able to defend against them.

Meanwhile, the chemicals we use to sanitize our environment do us more harm then the germs we are so afraid of.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-22-2017, 09:05 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Like many arguments that support excessive hygiene, there is a bit of truth in what you say, but only a bit.

Fact is, the cholera, tuberculosis, consumption, influenza, typhus, yellow fever, and smallpox epidemics killed most of those infected regardless of their hygiene habits. They killed young and old, week and strong.

Hygiene did not prevent them, it only slowed the spread of such diseases.

And that hygiene was very basic compared to what is practiced by many these days. And it made sense.

It's also true that those that survived did gain from improved immune systems. And so too did many who were exposed to the diseases but never got sick. And again it applied to young and old and to a degree to weak and strong alike.

I could tell stories of family members who survived some serious diseases, while others in the same house, never even got sick. I was of course part of that whole experience.

You folks are so worried about a few germs. My mother raised 15 kids in conditions you would find hard to imagine much less believe existed in your life time.

We had no running water, no hospital minutes away. There were no hand sanitizing lotions, no paved walkways.

We played in the dirt. We walked bare foot. We washed our hands before meals but never between, water was in limited supply.

And not one of us died of any disease.

Quote:
Perhaps not, but some animals are vectors for some serious human diseases. Bears and hogs most notably, but there are others.

Even cows can harbor diseases damgerous to humans. Ever hear of Brucellosis, or Anthrax.

Birds are the sources of some seriously dangerous germs such as Salmonella and E. coli.

Fish can carry the C. botulinum germ which causes botulism and the list goes on.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-22-2017, 09:42 PM
Banned

Too much reality there Keg, not sure the crowd can handle it.

I love my generation. We grew up playing in sandboxes - likely ate more cat crap and urine than we care to think about. We swam in dirty lakes, drank what we could on the fly, we got dirty - good solid immune systems. We got diseases, had chicken pox and measles parties - our parents weren't scared of all this.

Yet, I don't get it. How the heck did our generation become so scared? Our bodies inside and out are full of germs, viruses and bacteria - if you only knew what you were sleeping with in bed, you'd likely end up in a hammock wrapped in plastic.

doesn't take much to get people running to their doctor.

Last edited by silverdoctor; 05-22-2017 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Too much reality there Keg, not sure the crowd can handle it.

I love my generation. We grew up playing in sandboxes - likely ate more cat crap and urine than we care to think about. We swam in dirty lakes, drank what we could on the fly, we got dirty - good solid immune systems. We got diseases, had chicken pox and measles parties - our parents weren't scared of all this.

Yet, I don't get it. How the heck did our generation become so scared? Our bodies inside and out are full of germs, viruses and bacteria - if you only knew what you were sleeping with in bed, you'd likely end up in a hammock wrapped in plastic.

doesn't take much to get people running to their doctor.
You seriously think that people who don't want to eat the feces and other disgusting bodily excretions of complete strangers have a problem 'being scared'? How about this: it's because eating little Johnny's boogers off a shopping cart handle is revolting and disgusting? Jesus.....and 'running to the doctor' over every little thing? I went 22 years between visits to a doctor(other than to get stitched up from work accidents), from a physical when I was 18, till I turned 40. Now that I'm fifty (probably from your generation that you love, though I don't brag about eating cat crap), I go for my annual physical every 4 or 5 years. If I think about it, and feel like it. I just kind of like to eat healthy (not animal or human waste if I can avoid it), and try to avoid sick people, hospitals, and filthiness in general.

Cleanliness has become the sign of a sick mind apparently? My dear sainted grandmother (oma) would roll over in her grave. You could have eaten off any floor in her house, it was cleaner than most peoples' plates in their cupboards, this from a woman who survived two world wars (she wasn't afraid of much).

I suppose then the cockroach infested hovels of hoarders and the like must be almost a paradise of healthiness? I guess I'll just be a mentally ill person who prefers cleanliness and good hygiene. It smells better. I don't even want to know what cat crap and urine tastes like.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-22-2017, 10:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
You seriously think that people who don't want to eat the feces and other disgusting bodily excretions of complete strangers have a problem 'being scared'? How about this: it's because eating little Johnny's boogers off a shopping cart handle is revolting and disgusting? Jesus.....and 'running to the doctor' over every little thing? I went 22 years between visits to a doctor(other than to get stitched up from work accidents), from a physical when I was 18, till I turned 40. Now that I'm fifty (probably from your generation that you love, though I don't brag about eating cat crap), I go for my annual physical every 4 or 5 years. If I think about it, and feel like it. I just kind of like to eat healthy (not animal or human waste if I can avoid it), and try to avoid sick people, hospitals, and filthiness in general.

Cleanliness has become the sign of a sick mind apparently? My dear sainted grandmother (oma) would roll over in her grave. You could have eaten off any floor in her house, it was cleaner than most peoples' plates in their cupboards, this from a woman who survived two world wars (she wasn't afraid of much).

I suppose then the cockroach infested hovels of hoarders and the like must be almost a paradise of healthiness? I guess I'll just be a mentally ill person who prefers cleanliness and good hygiene. It smells better. I don't even want to know what cat crap and urine tastes like.
put on a face mask, wear gloves, go hide in a bubble. Got news for you, we live in a dirty world. Swab your own bathroom, test for fecal coliforms, every time you flush the toilet - it sprays - all over. Likely brushing your teeth with your own poop, or your wifes, or kids.

I worked in point of sale for a few years both in Nova Scotia and Toronto - you want to see dirty? Restaurants, grocery stores, bakeries, you name it. I still can't face a plate of chinese food after putting time in chinatown in downtown TO. Having to bag a cash register, spray a can of raid into it and leave it for a few days til any mice and roaches are dead. Then you can take it apart and scrape it out.

We have immunity for a reason. I don't care how clean a persons house looks, it's still dirty.

How many run to a doctor to get a tick removed? Cripes, if there's no vaccine for it, people don't know how to deal with it. Fart jam, head to the ER. It's not uncommon.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:34 PM
Banned

Unhappy sorry

fire.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:36 PM

You've convinced me. Henceforth, I shall no longer bathe or wash, and will sprinkle dog poo on my food. Why not, the world is a dirty place.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
You've convinced me. Henceforth, I shall no longer bathe or wash, and will sprinkle dog poo on my food. Why not, the world is a dirty place.
Fill yer boots. But what do you think that stink in your armpits will be caused by?
Old 05-23-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Fill yer boots. But what do you think that stink in your armpits will be caused by?
Over spray from you sun shiny attitude?

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 05-23-2017 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
I still can't face a plate of chinese food after putting time in chinatown in downtown TO.
Why not? You afraid of a little bacteria?....virus?....germs?....cockroaches?....r ats??
I thought you had an immune system.....
Old 05-23-2017, 08:34 AM
Banned

O good grief!!!
Don't worry about any of this stuff and have managed to make it to 63 with no illness's that I can in any way directly attribute to anything discussed here.
With all the real problems in this world, this ranks right below the dreaded 'tangled earbuds'.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:20 AM

Default Takeaway

So the takeaway form this thread is that "Real Alberta Outdoorsmen" eat sh_t. Interesting. I think I will stay with the wusses.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Over spray from you sun shiny attitude?
Yeah, I'm a ray of sunshine. Just a realist. We are covered in bacteria and viruses, they live in us and on us. Look at our DNA, mostly junk viral - and viruses likely had a major hand in making us human.

Quote:
Why not? You afraid of a little bacteria?.... virus?.... germs?.... cockroaches?.... rats??
I thought you had an immune system.....
Ever hear the saying "that's not chicken in your chow mein"?

Once you accept the fact that food isn't sterile, you're golden.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:45 AM

I once nearly murdered a server at a Smittys who was obliviously holding a full pot of coffee directly above my infant son in his car-carrier on a chair.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
So the takeaway form this thread is that "Real Alberta Outdoorsmen" eat sh_t. Interesting. I think I will stay with the wusses.
Haha. I didnt know germaphobies were so dramatic.
Pretty much all your fruits and vegetables are grown in shat. Most of our vegs come from mexico where they use human sewage to water the plants because potable water is in short demand.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
Pretty much all your fruits and vegetables are grown in shat. Most of our vegs come from mexico where they use human sewage to water the plants because potable water is in short demand.
And that's why I wash my vegetables. You also never know if the person who squeezed them before me wiped their a_s with their fingers
Old 05-23-2017, 01:32 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
It's pretty funny actually. If they only knew.

Rats in warehouses doing their thing on cans of pop, fruits and vegetables grown in manure, a miniature zoo on our hides, the list goes on and on.

No one has ever made it out of this world alive in the past 3,000 years. I'd rather enjoy the time I have then live in a bubble. Or lathered in dangerous chemicals in an effort to kill what is not likely kill me.

George Bernard Shaw