Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-09-2017, 06:24 PM

Default Approaching landowners for permission?

I have always hunted public land, but Im looking at two pieces of land one is north part of 212 and one in 312. Ive been seeing lots of posts asking for permission. So im not the only one interested in obtaining permission. So any tips on approaching landowners. I know its not best idea to just knock on door and ask if you can hunt there in the fall. What are some tips or suggestions on how to start the process or dialog?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2017, 06:38 PM

Default Permission

Go and knock on the door. Introduce yourself and let them know who you are and why you are there. They will either be receptive and talk with you or tell you no thanks. Dress nicely, not your camo, be polite and respectful. Thats all, really.
I go about gopher season.I'll go ask 8-12 places. I may get turned down 9 or 10 times, but I always come up with at least one new hunting spot each season.
If your driving by and you see someone fencing, stop and have a chat. It never hurts. Ive never been run off with a shovel. I get a few times a year that the property owners allow hunting but are full. They ask I come back each season and ask again as others stop hunting or whatever.
Good luck,
Tullfan
Old 05-11-2017, 10:12 PM

Presently farmers have spring field work and planting to do and might not have the time or mood to deal with people asking for permission. Once the crops are in farmers can relax and might be easier to deal with.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 05-12-2017, 10:50 AM

If you wear a suit and tie they're gonna think you're there to sell them something. Rinella suggests in one of his books to go after planting is done and to even possibly ask if they need a hand with some chores if you're willing to put in that kind of work to secure permission. Even maybe offer to not hunt species like deer first, start with small game or varmints first to build trust that you're an ethical hunter( if you indeed are) and to not hunt species you haven't procured permission to hunt and to get permission if you intend to hunt with a larger party than your initial conversation secured. I'm lucky myself that other than treaty areas and certain parks and in the nahanni the entirety of the Nwt is crown land.
Just be nice and if they say no then move on. I've read it helps to hunt with your kids as well, or significant other and to get her to secure permission. Maybe even offer to process and leave them a few roasts or steaks after you're done?
Old 05-12-2017, 12:04 PM

most farmers would prefer you get to the point. The majority don't want any more wild game (they have it in their backyard after all), have little interest in teaching someone how to do farm work, and don't like having their time wasted. They aren't usually looking to profit from granting permission (this is a much more common attitude in the US). If you live close and are willing, you could offer that they can call you if they need an extra set of hands, but don't try to sell yourself.

These guys get asked a lot... some allow hunting, some dont. Dress decent, be polite, introduce yourself with a solid handshake and say what you are there for and when you would like to hunt. Also permission is only granted to the one who asked, not your friends.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:28 PM

Thanks for the tips!
Old 05-20-2017, 10:14 PM

Offer your first and last name and where you live.
By driving into my yard you already know that info about me, so catch me up on who you are.
I also like it when a guy gives me his business card from work. If your willing to tell me who you are and where you work I feel much better about your wandering around my property heavily armed.
If you don't have a personal connection to the farmer then your odds may be slim but be polite and remember that we are mobbed by requests from strangers all fall so don't be offended if someone is rather short with you.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:51 AM

I struggle with this every year because of how much I hate when people come to my door unannounced at home. I'd rather not bother or inconvenience a farmer when he is on his own time.

This has lead me coming up empty handed most years but I get so incredibly nervous asking for permission to hunt on grazing leases that I am not sure I could follow through on private land by just showing up at someones yard.

I have also found that as soon as someone asks where you are from and you mention you're from a big city most rural folk tend to dismiss you. I've never tried this theory with hunting but I spend a fair amount of time in small towns or the country with work and any conversation with the locals tends to trickle off once I say "Calgary". Obviously I want to be honest with people but for land owners would you agree that there is a preconceived judgment towards "city folk" or do you not care?

Being a new hunter there are lots of tips here that are good (like giving them my business card), hopefully I'll have the balls to follow through one of these days and not annoy anyone with swinging by unannounced to ask.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:56 PM

Maybe I’m just lucky that I hunt an area with tolerant landowners, but I’m rarely turned down. I always go knock on the door, rarely while wearing camo, and have a chat. I find that a lot of landowners just want to BS for a few minutes and get to know people before allowing them access. I usually go out in late spring or summer, knock on some doors, and i would say that I’m about 80-90% successful. Another helpful thing is bringing my kids along. My older son is 14 and my younger son is 10 - I’ve actually had landowners compliment me on teaching my boys to be respectful and ASK before hunting, as opposed to just going without asking.
If you have permission on a neighbouring property, use that as well. “I’m doing a little bit of bow hunting on Mr/Mrs Smith’s place, and was wondering if i could cross the fence if i see something on your side” etc etc etc. If you have a good relationship with a landowner, they’ll definitely be willing to give you a good review with their neighbours... just like they’ll be the first to tell their neighbours and friends NOT to give you access if you’re disrespectful to their land and livelihood.
Another thing i do to maintain a good relationship with landowners is that i always go back AFTER the season to say thank you. Usually in mid December, and i bring Christmas cards. Every single person that i do this with us super surprised, and i honestly would say 60% of them NEVER get thanked after the season. I hear a lot of “wow, you’re the only person to ever come after the season to say thank you. Come back anytime”
In this day and age, with SO many lazy, disrespectful and rude people out there that are ruining it for all of us, it seems to be just as much work and effort to find a place to hunt as it is to do the actual hunting.
Without gracious landowners that allow us access, we would all be pushed onto already overcrowded public land. Treat these people graciously and with the respect they deserve. A lot of people see NO positives to them allowing us on their place. Do what you can so they can see a benefit, and we ALL can do better.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:40 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
most farmers would prefer you get to the point. The majority don't want any more wild game (they have it in their backyard after all), have little interest in teaching someone how to do farm work, and don't like having their time wasted. They aren't usually looking to profit from granting permission (this is a much more common attitude in the US). If you live close and are willing, you could offer that they can call you if they need an extra set of hands, but don't try to sell yourself.

These guys get asked a lot... some allow hunting, some dont. Dress decent, be polite, introduce yourself with a solid handshake and say what you are there for and when you would like to hunt. Also permission is only granted to the one who asked, not your friends.
Tell them too that you will watch their land and treat it as if was your own, reporting anything to the owner that is not right etc, if granted have a note with all your particulars on it, name, contact number, vehicle type and plate shows your just an honest guy that enjoys the privilidge of hunting on the the land.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...