Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-08-2017, 08:47 PM

Default Does Much of African Hunting = Road Hunting?

Renewed my subscription to WildTV a few months back after the US election made me so sick of hearing about Trump that I canceled the news package.

Anyhow, I watch a number of the African hunting shows and it frequently seems that they are in effect road hunting. Drive down trail. Spot game. Take a few steps off the trail. Spread shooting sticks. Shoot animal. Make "nervous stalk" up to downed animal. Everybody shake hands and dance. Then the PH syas how excellent the animal is. Do it again.

This seems like me and the boys when we go road hunting. Drive down lease road. See deer. Jump out of vehicle. Take a few steps off road if maintained. Shoot animals. High fives and dance. Do it again.

I have no idea how many African "Safaris" are like this, maybe relatively few. And to be really frank, I don't ever see the day I get to Africa as I just can't afford it, so I am certainly not poking fun at anyone who has been. But from watching WildTv, many of these "Safaris" sure seem to have striking similarities to Alberta road hunting, except we don't do the nervous stalk, we put out our own shooting sticks, and our buddies poke fun at us for shooting "meat bucks"

Anyone else ever notice this?
Old 05-08-2017, 09:04 PM

My Namibia experience was basically anything I requested. I told the PH that I wanted to stalk as many species as I could. However, we did get opportunities while driving between hunting areas and while sitting in stands in strategic areas based on the PH's advice and experience. Stalking wasn't easy. Every bush and tree has thorns, barbs and stickers on it and the ground is often covered with vines that grab and tangle your feet. Some of the most exciting hunting I did was trying to get an Impala, Kudu on foot and while accompanying another hunter stalking Eland.

Others in our group did more driving and were successful and happy with there hunts too.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:35 PM

I tried to be real clear. I am talking about TV shows primarily, not being disparaging toward those who have been fortunate enough to go and hunt their tail off in Africa. I envy all of you greatly.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:40 PM

It is what you like. Never been to Africa, but the road hunting topics I find nauseating. If someone thinks/likes/enjoys hunting and to them that is riding around and spotting game from their vehicle so be it.

If there is a member on here who was driving to their spot and seen a book bull/buck and keeps driving Id like to be in the passenger seat to see that.

As long as its legal who are we to take away from their hunt.

There was another thread on here about how far people walk during their hunts, as I said in that thread I walk 2-5km/day and most often take my animal less than 200 yards from the truck. Not sure why but I am not complaining!

As for a TV show, watching someone drive around shooting game, that would strike me as a pretty boring show to watch.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:42 PM

I often road hunt and make no apologies for it. Find it quite relaxing and enjoyable, especially when I'm with my son, or friends I haven't connected with in a while. The older I get, the more I see to enjoy it too
Old 05-08-2017, 10:21 PM

I recently read "Use Enough Gun" by Ruark, and it, along with most other old-school safari books definitely made it seem like they mostly hunted from vehicles.

They even had a specific maneuver they would pull where they would drive slowly by, and the hunter and PH would jump out of the vehicle when it passed behind a bush, and the vehicle would keep driving, to put the animals at ease.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:06 PM

I walked about 5-8 miles a day I figured. That's quite a bit while tracking game. We used the vehicles to get us to certain areas was all.
South Africa was way different and was about like you said. I don't think I will hunt South Africa again. It wasn't real Africa to me. Zimbabwe was WAY better
Old 05-09-2017, 06:51 AM
Banned

We've been four times to Africa. We hunted as close to free range as you can get. Usually put on about six miles a day which is really nothing. Most PH's encountered weren't really in top shape or "balls of fire" when it came to anything physical. To be honest if we go again it will be a camera Safari. Couldn't care less if I brought any more animals back.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Renewed my subscription to WildTV a few months back after the US election made me so sick of hearing about Trump that I canceled the news package.

Anyhow, I watch a number of the African hunting shows and it frequently seems that they are in effect road hunting. Drive down trail. Spot game. Take a few steps off the trail. Spread shooting sticks. Shoot animal. Make "nervous stalk" up to downed animal. Everybody shake hands and dance. Then the PH syas how excellent the animal is. Do it again.

This seems like me and the boys when we go road hunting. Drive down lease road. See deer. Jump out of vehicle. Take a few steps off road if maintained. Shoot animals. High fives and dance. Do it again.

I have no idea how many African "Safaris" are like this, maybe relatively few. And to be really frank, I don't ever see the day I get to Africa as I just can't afford it, so I am certainly not poking fun at anyone who has been. But from watching WildTv, many of these "Safaris" sure seem to have striking similarities to Alberta road hunting, except we don't do the nervous stalk, we put out our own shooting sticks, and our buddies poke fun at us for shooting "meat bucks"

Anyone else ever notice this?
You have to remember as well that the rest of the world doesn't necessarily hold themselves to the North American model/standard of fair chase hunting. Its not how we do it here but over here its common practice.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:38 PM

Just like everyone every where in the world it's your choice! I hunted Eland for 12 days and the only good bull I saw was 67 yards from the vehicle and I passed because I had a personal opinion of what my Eland hunt was to look and be like so it's about choice not ethics or morals. What's legal and what do you want. Like Nube I walked at least 10k per day with 27k being the hardest
Old 05-09-2017, 02:35 PM

The place I hunted also did "ecotourism" kind of stuff. The owner decided that hunting from a vehicle taught the animals to be afraid of the vehicle and negatively impacted his sight seeing tours. So hunting was on foot, and it suited me just fine.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:16 PM

I think people disparagingly use the term "road hunter" when what they really mean are poachers and trespassers. I have absolutely no problem with someone driving down a gravel road, seeing an animal in a field HE HAS PERMISSION TO HUNT ON, and having the proper licenses, gets himself into a legal position (get over the fence, etc) to shoot said animal. Any issue with that is really just a matter of preferred hunting style.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:23 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the impression that a lot of African hunting is "farmed" game as well ?

Grizz
Old 05-09-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the impression that a lot of African hunting is "farmed" game as well ?

Grizz
Mostly South Africa and a few other places. It is well worth the price to pay and extra couple hundred a day and go someplace other than South Africa in my mind. That being said there are still a lot of non fenced stuff in SA as well but it just isn't my thing after doing it.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:33 PM

Default Roadhunting

Aww, never mind.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:17 PM

Sns2, your observation is correct. In most cases the client need/want to shoot 6 or 7 animals in the 7 days he is there (2 of which is usually travel days). That leaves very little time for true walk and stalk. South Africa is 95% high fence hunting. Some farms are big, some are small. It is a lucrative business. Hunters need to shoot animals and PH's need to produce them. But the client can usually dictate how the hunting takes place, in which case the PH will make it clear that there is a possibility of not filling their wish list.
Like Nube said, true wild Africa hunting is probably not possible in SA. The behind the scenes shenanigans will leave you speechless
Old 05-10-2017, 01:35 AM

No different than tiger hunting in India back in the good ol' days!

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/guns/rifles/2011/08/tiger-hunting-rolls-royce

Old 05-10-2017, 05:45 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Drive, spot animal or tracks, get out and stalk or sit in a blind...still hunting.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-10-2017, 11:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I think people disparagingly use the term "road hunter" when what they really mean are poachers and trespassers. I have absolutely no problem with someone driving down a gravel road, seeing an animal in a field HE HAS PERMISSION TO HUNT ON, and having the proper licenses, gets himself into a legal position (get over the fence, etc) to shoot said animal. Any issue with that is really just a matter of preferred hunting style.
I see way too many road hunters in the area we hunt. Same trucks driving around and around all day. Nine times out of 10 we see game, or get game, they don't. I just don't get road hunting at all.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alta270 View Post
I see way too many road hunters in the area we hunt. Same trucks driving around and around all day. Nine times out of 10 we see game, or get game, they don't. I just don't get road hunting at all.
So you would say road hunting is harder than walk hunting, since you get game and they do not?

Sounds like if you want a challenge hunting jump in your truck!
Old 05-10-2017, 12:53 PM
Gone Hunting

Not so long ago, in Texas, they used specially equipped vehicles as hunting platforms, and for all I know they may still do so.
It is all perfectly legal there and it is acceptable IMO.

I can't speak for anyone but myself of course, when I speak of road hunters in Alberta I mean the illegal use of vehicles in the course of hunting.

The key being illegal use of. And the activity that involves vehicles and is illegal, is illegal mostly because it is very dangerous or because it precipitates trespassing on property one does not have permission to be on.

Those are also my main objections to illegal road hunting.

I have no objection to the use of any vehicle in connection with hunting activity, except where it is illegal or dangerous to others.

Why should I? Why should anyone?
Where is the moral imperative that one not use a vehicle for a hunting platform?
How is using a vehicle as a hunting platform less fair chase then using a rifle capable of accurate ethical kills at ranges exceeding the sight capabilities of the targeted animal?

It seems to me that some poachers have tried very hard to muddy the waters in order to silence opposition to the illegal use of vehicles in connection with hunting activities and they have been very successful in their efforts.

For the life of me I can not understand or believe that any real hunter would actually support any illegal hunting activity, but that is exactly what has been happening on these threads in recent years, with regards to illegal road hunting.

Make no mistake, the issue is "Illegal use" not all activity involving vehicles in relation to hunting activity.

But like I said, I can only speak for myself. Maybe there are some who object to any use of any vehicle in any way connected to hunting.

There are probably some here who would object to the use of any hunting tools other then hand operated tools.

I call both, hunting snobs.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-10-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fur View Post
So you would say road hunting is harder than walk hunting, since you get game and they do not?

LOL... Turned that around!! Hunting from vehicle must be more difficult..
Old 05-10-2017, 06:29 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

I don't hear him saying it's harder.

What I hear him say is it's less productive and I would agree with that and so would many hunters.

A couple of years ago an 72 year old x B_I_L stayed with us for a couple of weeks while he hunted Mulies on my SILs property.

One night he got to talking about the previous season. Said he hunted with a co-worker and they spent the whole time driving around looking for game.

He said, "I'll never do that again, it was terrible, we saw nothing, spent several thousand dollars on fuel and got saddle sore."
" It's the only year I did not fill a tag in over fifty years of hunting" he said.

I have no doubt that to those who don't KNOW how to hunt, it may seem very productive. And in a few isolated areas maybe it is, but in my experience, getting away from roads and knowing how to find the game results in a much much more productive hunt and a much much more satisfying and enjoyable hunt.

But I'm old school. I don't mind walking a ways.

And quiet frankly I don't care how others hunt or what they hunt, so long as it's legal and so long as it does not interfere unfairly or illegally with what I wish to do that day.

If shooting from a vehicle were made legal tomorrow, I would not loose one moment of sleep over it.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-10-2017, 06:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

What I hear him say is it's less productive and I would agree with that and so would many hunters.

A couple of years ago an 72 year old x B_I_L stayed with us for a couple of weeks while he hunted Mulies on my SILs property.

One night he got to talking about the previous season. Said he hunted with a co-worker and they spent the whole time driving around looking for game.

He said, "I'll never do that again, it was terrible, we saw nothing, spent several thousand dollars on fuel and got saddle sore."
" It's the only year I did not fill a tag in over fifty years of hunting" he said.

I have no doubt that to those who don't KNOW how to hunt, it may seem very productive. And in a few isolated areas maybe it is, but in my experience, getting away from roads and knowing how to find the game results in a much much more productive hunt and a much much more satisfying and enjoyable hunt.

And quiet frankly I don't care how others hunt or what they hunt, so long as it's legal and so long as it does not interfere unfairly or illegally with what I wish to do that day.

If shooting from a vehicle were made legal tomorrow, I would not loose one moment of sleep over it.
Sounds as though you've hunted Africa many times and have much to contribute. Do tell your factual stories, we're all ears.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

I have found the opposite. Can only think of once when I did not get game within 200-500 yards of a road or OHV trail. Must be my factory installed deer grunt muffler!
Old 05-10-2017, 07:28 PM
Banned

I watched a few of the African shows when I first got Wild Tv. Not for me but I see many spend thousands to go and shoot a bunch of animals. Sort of amusing to watch them drive up the road, get out and walk toward an animal in the wide open with a couple of PH and the camera crew, all the while the animal does not even look at them, let alone run away.
When I think if I would like their type of "trophy" hunting to shooting a "trophy" whitetail, no comparison IMO, and there is actually some doubt if you will even see a whitetail. From the couple shows I watched there was not doubt you would get your animals, it was just a matter of how big it be.
To see the countryside and the vast numbers of game would be awesome but don't think I would bother with a hunt there.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:46 PM

My son and I went to RSA in 2007, we killed 14 animals total, probably walked 4-5 miles a day, I shot my final animal on the last day from the truck.

A nice gemsbok after being sick as a dog for a week.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:30 PM

I can honestly say all hunting is what you make it in Namibia I failed to get my Kudu because I was not in sheep shape and I would have had to be in sheep shape. The only animal I took in high fence was my black faced impala in a 10,000 hectar enclosure. It is tru you can get more animals and it is not like whitetail but then I have never seen 300 whitetail with 45 bucks all at one time so it is different. It is incredible none the less picking the animal getting the clean shot, knowing a wound or wrong animal comes with no forgiveness and your PH by your side. At days end even a bighorn ram only takes 30 minutes on wild TV. Again like all hunting it is what you make you set the terms.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:12 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Sounds as though you've hunted Africa many times and have much to contribute. Do tell your factual stories, we're all ears.
Sorry I offended you. That was not my intention.

Like I said, I have no objection to any legal method technique or tool in hunting, and if a illegal method technique or tool were to be made legal tomorrow I would no longer have an objection to it.

So I have to ask, why are you so offended that you would try to pick a fight with me.
What are you doing that you think I am attacking?

Trust me, I have no doubt that you would never ever break any law, hunting or other. And I certainly didn't intend to suggest or imply that you did.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-11-2017, 01:21 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I have found the opposite. Can only think of once when I did not get game within 200-500 yards of a road or OHV trail. Must be my factory installed deer grunt muffler!
As I said, I expect there are places where driving and shooting from the road may be very productive.

That certainly seems to be the case in Texas and some parts of Africa.

BTY so far as I know, no one considers a OHV trail a roadway.

Moreover, it is legal to shoot from some types of roads even in Alberta. But so far as I know it is illegal to shoot from inside or beside any motorized vehicle.

Which is part of the illegal road hunting activity I was referring to.

Naturally you are not referring to that type of activity so the road hunting you are referring to once again only muddies the waters and assists poachers.

And that I find incomprehensible. Why would you do such a thing.

George Bernard Shaw