Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-07-2017, 11:22 AM

Default Best carbon fibre barrrel coating??

Planning to buy/build my next rifle with a CF barrel,but I'm not crazy about the whole CF weave look,I'd prefer a more matte finish in a hunting rifle/possibly camo dipped afterwards(?),would like to coat it with something like Cerakote,Duracoat etc??
I'm thinking Duracoat or similar is easiest and safest for a DIY project,although I think I'd prefer Cerakote if that's an option,just a bit concerned with baking the CF barrel?
Can't find much info googling the process "cerakote carbon fibre barrel" etc etc although a couple of CF barrel makers offer CK as an option,so it must be doable,yes?
Also I've read up a bit on low temp Cerakote application where it is baked at only 200F instead of usual 350-ish?
Who here has coated their CF barrels,what method did you use,durability,happy with results??
Andddddd go.....
Old 05-07-2017, 06:57 PM

Could you order it with it coated already?
Old 05-07-2017, 07:21 PM
Banned

CarbonSix cerakotes their barrels... Ask 'em how they do it.

https://carbonsixllc.com/contact/

Old 05-08-2017, 10:20 PM

You could try the air cured cerakote but not sure how the resins in the carbon fibre wrap would react to being submerged in acetone/brake clean?
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 05-09-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgvande View Post
Could you order it with it coated already?
Probably gonna just buy vs build,then do the barrel afterwards?
Leaning towards either a Fierce or a Christensen?
Old 05-09-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
CarbonSix cerakotes their barrels... Ask 'em how they do it.

https://carbonsixllc.com/contact/

Yes,I've seen that,that's how I know it's doable.They are the only CF barrel maker I've found that offers CK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmcleod82 View Post
You could try the air cured cerakote but not sure how the resins in the carbon fibre wrap would react to being submerged in acetone/brake clean?
Well exactly,that's why I'm asking about it,don't want to pooch a $1000 barrel.
My original concern was heat from baking might melt the resins,but after further thought I'm thinking barrels get pretty damn hot just from shooting,so 200-300F is probably not an issue?
Acetone and brake clean might be another matter?

Hard to believe with all of the usual peanut gallery opinions here on all things firearms that nobody else has done this.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:11 AM
Banned

I've coated many firearms with Duracoat product which air cures. Prior to spraying, they are sprayed with Duracoat's degreaser. And I must admit that I have no idea as to how a CF barrel would react. If it were me, I would degrease with a mild solution of Dawn and rinse and repeat a few times. After all Dawn is a good degreaser if it can wash the oil off of ducks. No pun intended....lol.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Yes,I've seen that,that's how I know it's doable.They are the only CF barrel maker I've found that offers CK.

Well exactly,that's why I'm asking about it,don't want to pooch a $1000 barrel.
My original concern was heat from baking might melt the resins,but after further thought I'm thinking barrels get pretty damn hot just from shooting,so 200-300F is probably not an issue?
Acetone and brake clean might be another matter?

Hard to believe with all of the usual peanut gallery opinions here on all things firearms that nobody else has done this.
I've never had the inclination to waste my time with a carbon fibre barrel. As far as I'm concerned it's a gimmick. If you want a target gun buy a heavy barrel if you want a light hunter buy a #2-#3 fluted. Not sure on proof barrels but I know of a couple that use a number 2 contour underneath the carbon. You can paint carbon fibre car parts so I'm sure you could do a carbon fibre barrel. Maybe wipe down with automotive wash and wipe then hit it with air cure cerakote shouldn't have any worries about heat and the wash and wipe should remove any oil residues without attacking the resins. I wouldn't be willing to risk the science experiment of stuffing a $1000 proof barrel in an oven.
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 05-10-2017, 08:11 AM

I'm wondering why you'd want to coat it ?

I've been dragging a proof barrel around the mountains for years
(I don't baby it , it's a tool not a show piece)
The carbon is fine, and I drop, bump , rub it on trees n rocks
It's been swimming a couple times too
Old 05-22-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPackHunter View Post
I'm wondering why you'd want to coat it ?

I've been dragging a proof barrel around the mountains for years
(I don't baby it , it's a tool not a show piece)
The carbon is fine, and I drop, bump , rub it on trees n rocks
It's been swimming a couple times too
Mostly for cosmetic appearance,partly for durability/protection.
I just don't really like the look and shine of CF,prefer more earth tones/camo.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmcleod82 View Post
I've never had the inclination to waste my time with a carbon fibre barrel. As far as I'm concerned it's a gimmick. If you want a target gun buy a heavy barrel if you want a light hunter buy a #2-#3 fluted. Not sure on proof barrels but I know of a couple that use a number 2 contour underneath the carbon. You can paint carbon fibre car parts so I'm sure you could do a carbon fibre barrel. Maybe wipe down with automotive wash and wipe then hit it with air cure cerakote shouldn't have any worries about heat and the wash and wipe should remove any oil residues without attacking the resins. I wouldn't be willing to risk the science experiment of stuffing a $1000 proof barrel in an oven.
Gimmick....I dunno bout that?
Why not have the best of both worlds with lightweight hunter/match grade target barrel?
FWIW,this rifle will be used in both rolls.....mainly a hunting rifle that I can bang long range gongs with.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:18 PM

Banged plenty of gongs with kimber montanas, ruger77s, R.E.M. Sporters, tikkas, hell even a savage or two. If carbon fibre is what you desire fill your boots, for me it seems like a gimmick, but I'm also a guy with 10 hammers in my hammer drawer.
Leeper
Old 05-23-2017, 08:04 PM
Banned

Default Correct me if I'm wrong, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post

Why not have the best of both worlds with lightweight hunter/match grade target barrel ?
Those 2 classifications (lightweight & match-grade target) do not go together in the world of rifle barrels, AFAIK.

It would be like somebody saying a Dodge Viper is a very practical family vehicle, & fuel efficient...

Old 05-30-2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
Those 2 classifications (lightweight & match-grade target) do not go together in the world of rifle barrels, AFAIK.

It would be like somebody saying a Dodge Viper is a very practical family vehicle, & fuel efficient...

Well then let's put it a different way.
A liteweight barrel with the stiffness and surface area to assist in dissipating heat of a bull barrel,minus the weight.