Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-17-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
[IMG]0111[/IMG]
heres my collection of nylons
Old 08-17-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capiefogman View Post
This looks so cool in the basement. No wonder they are so hard to find. You guys are hoarding them all. lol
Old 08-17-2014, 08:14 AM

just a few I picked up here and there
Old 08-17-2014, 08:20 AM

Just found an owner's manual for one I used to have somewhere in the 70's.
Don't remember what I did with it. I do remember it constantly jammed, kept having to pull the receiver cover off to fix it. Seems to me I picked up a Lakefield bolt repeater after that, it was even worse, wouldn't extract about every other round.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:47 AM

Loved mine to death(own since 1971)

shot out the barrel on Mohawk .. Bro had the Black Diamond which he sold and he regrets

still have but don't use any more got the Rem 597

David
Old 08-17-2014, 03:35 PM

They were poular over here too, but doubt there are very many left in the country. Our government decided we didn't need semi auto's any more in 1996 and bought them all back and destroyed them
Old 05-16-2017, 09:58 PM

Default Nylon 66 parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedgoat View Post
or if i could buy a barrel for a remington nylon 66.

We were shooting my apache black .22 and my dad's mohawk brown .22.

When he fired the shell casing exploded out the ejector. We stopped firing it and i took it home to clean it and the barrel is blown.

Both guns are used and well taken care of. No more than minor surface scratches (other than a barrel missing.). If there is someone interested in buying them send me a message. Detailed pictures can be taken.
did you get a barrel for the 66,
go to my website and inquire
nylon66.ca
norm
Old 05-19-2017, 12:17 AM

My very first gun, bought in the late 70's, was a black apache nylon 66. It was nice and light, rarely jammed, but the horrible trigger made it miserable for offhand shooting. Also, the stock was very fussy on exactly how I held it and would change the point of impact quite readily. At that time I had a bushnell rimfire 3-7x scope on it, which was a pain to keep mounted in those shallow stamped receiver grooves. At 25 yards, shooting offhand, I could hit maybe 6 out of 10 12 gauge empties. But the creeping trigger pull made that an unnecessarily slow process as I had to incrementally pull the trigger each time. Overall it was a meh experience for my purposes.

A few years later, I picked up a brno model 2e, which proved to be exactly what I wanted for gophers etc. With a trigger job and a nicer scope it was far better for me than the nylon for accurate shooting. The black nylon eventually got sold off.

My brother at that time had a brown nylon, and it lived in a canvas bag in his trunk for years. He was an open sight guy with eagle eyes and could pick off just about anything. He loved that gun. He could literally group 5 shots within a 1/2 inch at 40 yards with that nylon. So remember, this is just the opinion of a scope preferring guy.

Since that time, I have discovered the Browning SA-22/Norinco JW-20. If you like/love the nylon, I suggest you try the browning designed semi. It does pretty much everything the nylon does (light weight, handy, accurate, butt stock tube feed) but also has an excellent trigger, breaks in half, is much simpler to clean and fix, is all wood/steel, is cheaper to buy (well the Norinco is), is easy to scope (cantilever mounts work great), etc.

The nylon is certainly an interesting gun and great for plinking tin cans, but for hunting, I'd always prefer the JW-20. Some of them apparently have issues, but the late model threaded barrel ones I've looked and shot were excellent after a few tweaks.

Sorry for the thread derail....
Old 05-19-2017, 08:41 AM

Default ammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris89lx View Post
I have one that was passed down from my dad.
I seemed to jam a lot so I completely disassembled it and cleaned it.

But it still jams when cycling. (Clip fed semi auto.)
Possibly the ammo?
I think I was using Remington Stingers.
What is everyone's experience with ammo brands?
Stingers should be CCI some semis may not like HP's or the Rem yellowjackets with the flat cone shaped nose..........Harold