Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-25-2017, 08:08 PM

Default Red Mackinaw Jacket: where t buy?

I am so tired of under armoured, scent-locked, goretex lined, ozone equipped, super uber Kuiui camo'd necessities that I feel I need to revolt.

Where can I buy a cheap old school red mackinaw jacket for hunting season?

Think Army and Navy not Filson.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:20 PM
Banned

Lots of vintage woolrich red wool jackets on eBay.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:23 PM

Maybe Marks Workwear World?

I got mine at the local hardware store years ago
Old 05-25-2017, 08:27 PM

Unless you buy used, you won't find cheap. Stormy Kromer as well as LL Bean has some nice stuff that is not as expensive as Filson. Wool stuff is pricey, as well as really cool.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-25-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
Maybe Marks Workwear World?

I got mine at the local hardware store years ago
That's what I want, the hardware store version.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:40 PM

http://www.gostwear.com/bill-plaid-w...ket-p-811.html

http://www.gostwear.com/bill-lined-p...irt-p-911.html

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 05-25-2017, 09:43 PM

Scour the thrift shops. I got my blue mack, 100% virgin wool, for $12 in 2011. Other than that well-made, heavy wool jackets are pricey.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:44 PM

Why you feel the need to bitch about lightweight gear that guys use to hunt the mountains in comfort. If your red jacket keeps you comfortable in the cab of your truck go for it. Don't need to hear about it on here. Keep it together, rob
Old 05-25-2017, 09:50 PM

Someone's bum is sore
Old 05-25-2017, 09:57 PM

Nope bum is good. Tired of guys bitching cause they have sand in their vag.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:04 PM

I have to laugh, just as I opened this thread my 11yo daughter came into the room to model her new UA camp hat birthday present, with her UA hoodie.

I'm partial to farmer camo, whatever hoodie I'm wearing with my carharrts over top.

No need to get all butt hurt about a perceived insult to your Gucciflage Katts. Nobody gives a rats anus what you're wearing.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 05-25-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katts69 View Post
Why you feel the need to bitch about lightweight gear that guys use to hunt the mountains in comfort. If your red jacket keeps you comfortable in the cab of your truck go for it. Don't need to hear about it on here. Keep it together, rob
Wasn't expecting this. You could wear toilet paper for all I care. I just want an old school jacket

And I don't have a vagina. That would be weird. At least my wife would find it weird. And you are correct, if you weren't prepared with the right undies, you might get sand in it, and that would be bad.

Last edited by sns2; 05-25-2017 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:17 PM

I ain't insulted one bit. When I get off work and only have an hour to get out and hunt till last light I am rocking my carharrt bibs and work boots and hoodie.
You run what you brung. It's that simple. I guess I need to realize that most of society needs to express their feelings about the stupidest crap and we all need to hear about it on public forums like this.
Don't like it don't buy it. It's that simple.
The newest and latest clothing has its place. It's not for everyone.
Keep it together. Rob
Old 05-25-2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
I ain't insulted one bit. When I get off work and only have an hour to get out and hunt till last light I am rocking my carharrt bibs and work boots and hoodie.
You run what you brung. It's that simple. I guess I need to realize that most of society needs to express their feelings about the stupidest crap and we all need to hear about it on public forums like this.
Don't like it don't buy it. It's that simple.
The newest and latest clothing has its place. It's not for everyone.
Keep it together. Rob
I have much of the stuff I mentioned, I just want to spend money on other stuff. If you don't like it, why read? Then why respond? Just move on. I asked a question and I appreciate the many good answers.

Like most on this forum, I whine about many things, but this was not one of them. For real.

Last edited by sns2; 05-25-2017 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:27 PM

Do your thing bro. Another member of society needing to create posts about stupid ****. Carry on. Hope you find the jacket you are looking for. And best of luck this 2017 season.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Do your thing bro. Another member of society needing to create posts about stupid ****. Carry on. Hope you find the jacket you are looking for. And best of luck this 2017 season.
Sigh. Sometimes you can't win for losing, but hey I upped my count, so that is a good thing.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:35 PM

Worn Mackinaw jackets and wool pants since i was young.
I got this one for Christmas, it's an Irish Setter.
Fillson makes them as well.
BTW just for the record, I don't hunt out of a truck, I walk for the most part or travel from spot to spot in a boat.
Cat
Old 05-25-2017, 10:37 PM

Nice jacket or heavy shirt CAT,i walked into a dinner 35 years ago with almost the same one on and met my wife,the thing smelled like an old pine tree,called it my lucky shirt and still have a bunch of pants and shirts,nice to see .I a have filson my bro gave me and I just seen the price and never realize they were that kind of money.

Last edited by JD848; 05-25-2017 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:33 AM

I don't know why the bitching about someone wanting to wear a wool jacket. They're probably the most versatile piece of clothing around.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:19 AM

I finally, after many years, wore through my Swanndri....they are from New Zealand and a great product. Got a new one this winter. Not quite as heavy as the old one, but the real deal. Worth checking them out...
Old 05-26-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
Nice jacket or heavy shirt CAT,i walked into a dinner 35 years ago with almost the same one on and met my wife,the thing smelled like an old pine tree,called it my lucky shirt and still have a bunch of pants and shirts,nice to see .I a have filson my bro gave me and I just seen the price and never realize they were that kind of money.
That is a jacket, I also wear mackinaw wool shirts as well however.

Cat
Old 05-26-2017, 11:18 AM

There's this one at Mark's, but it's cotton not wool.

https://www.marks.com/en/categories/...olor%5D=RDBKCK
Old 05-26-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I have much of the stuff I mentioned, I just want to spend money on other stuff. If you don't like it, why read? Then why respond? Just move on. I asked a question and I appreciate the many good answers.

Like most on this forum, I whine about many things, but this was not one of them. For real.
Your first mistake was asking advice on the Internet. The second error was forming an opinion about other clothes. Exspensive clothes, that people are emotionally invested in. Then a sandy vag roled in and offered nothing to your initial request for information but punished you. Sorry about the emotional stress you must be under.
I think I saw a moderator type jacket (mackinaw) in work wear house.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
That is a jacket, I also wear mackinaw wool shirts as well however.

Cat
is that Floyd R. Turbo????
Old 05-26-2017, 11:50 PM

Some pretty funny comments going around. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the most emotionally charged came from someone saying that others feel they need to post emotional comments haha.
If you have any of those fancy items in medium I'd be looking to take a piece or two off your hands. I've never run that fancy gear and will always second hand wool and discount bargain stuff, but I'm doing regular searches for a few fancy items to add. Not get all decked out in kuiu hunting kits, but the odd performance piece or two would be nice.
Cheers
Old 05-27-2017, 12:11 AM

Try looking online in the clearance section of Eddie Bauer, the Bay, even Old Navy if you just want a heavy shirt and not the full mackinaw Jacket. Ir ask your wife/daughter. I am not joking. They were the in-Fashion last Winter. My niece couldn't figure out why I was laughing at Christmas last year when a few friends came over and all of them were wearing the Mackinaw Jackets. Guess it is true, everything old becomes new again. I got a couple out of Fred Meyer in the states for cheap. Not the best quality but they are warm and 100% wool, for the price I paid I am not complaining.

P.S.: love the comments in this thread. A guy wants to kick it old school good for him. To each their own. I wear a variety of clearance Clothing to hunt. Put my money into the pack, tent and sleeping bag. If I have enough light to hunt I can see to get to cover, but better be dam toasty when I sleeping.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:59 AM

This thread got me looking at who else makes these.

Those Filson ones look nice but the way I was raised, the only way I would have that expensive of a coat is if I found it used at ValueVillage!

Other makers are apparently Woolrich and Pendleton?

One of my favorites is an old Pioneer Brand coat I picked up (used of course). I like the Pioneer stuff that came out of Vancouver as I grew up around the sleeping bags and packboards my Grandpa and Uncles all seem to have had. Brings back memories!

When I grew up a Mack and Dayton Boots meant you were a tough guy

Being cheap, my favorite shirt (and strangely my wife's least favorite) is my issued army wool shirt. Looks like these ones but I saw some newer issued ones that did not seem as "wool" like if that makes sense

http://www.aasurplus.ca/surplus/prod...ol-field-shirt

Last edited by CMichaud; 05-27-2017 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:32 AM

Johnson woolen mills has a bunch of these. They look pretty good perhaps I will get one. It will go good with my Sitka pants. And probably last longer.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Looks like someone missed the urinal! The OP made a very valid post and a lot of us are interested using this particular type of well made clothing. Nothing like going old school just like using an old school side by side shotgun while shooting pheasants.
I myself was looking for another one as well. The one I had was 100% wool that a friend of mine had borrowed and never returned. Funny, how I see it every time I hunt with him. They are warm and will out perform and last longer than any other brand name of clothing. The ones that I find are usually 100% nylon or polyester. I have looked at army navy, marks, goodwill, value village and all over the city with no luck of finding the ones made from 100% wool. I have a feeling if you find one it won't be cheap! overall, excellent piece of clothing.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:31 AM

They aren't cheap but check out the Swandri line of wool. I have an all black swandri pullover and it's probably the coat I grab most when the weather ain't great. I also have some of the Columbia wool and it's real nice stuff to. But them mackinaw red plaids just scream old school and they work. I gotta get me one to.

Cheers

Gilly