Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 09:00 PM

not sure how to comment on this one cause i was out shooting gofers today with a 17 hmr with a fixed 7 power leupold scope with a harris bipod instead of an open sight single shot 22 .had a leica rangefinder binos to find the gofers. and a therma rest pad to lay on inside my backpack a camo stool and tripod to shoot from when i get tired of laying on the ground . the rangefinder i originally got it for bowhunting but now i use it for every thing .someday i would like to have all the stuff for long range hunting 1000 yards and the skill set to use it all , its nice to dream and set goals but for now 30 yards is max for bowhunting and 300 yards is max for my 30-06 . almost forgot i got a trail cam for xmass 2 years ago .
Old 05-26-2017, 09:06 PM

And there are some low life dead dicks who want to ban spearhunting....

Think the basics are better? Take a ship to Europe someday.....

Wipe your arse with a catalogue (the lack of cleanliness over rode the B.O. smell

Ride a horse on holidays. Try a Disneyland trip

Cook on a fire

You get sick of that **** pretty fast

I use a quad, rifle scope bow rangefinder GoPro electric toothbrush internet texting radios blood lights 8 different fackin knives winch trigger stix lures salt blocks wolf **** deer **** and i havent shot a deer in 7 years but i killed one with a truck.......

I suck
[/QUOTE]lollol

Last edited by huntinstuff; 05-26-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:15 PM

Default Hey

Old 05-26-2017, 09:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

Wipe your arse with a catalogue (the lack of cleanliness over rode the B.O. smell

Cook on a fire

I use a quad, rifle scope bow rangefinder GoPro electric toothbrush internet texting radios blood lights 8 different fackin knives winch trigger stix lures salt blocks wolf **** deer **** and i havent shot a deer in 7 years but i killed one with a truck.......

I suck
lollol[/QUOTE]

To respond to some of your points:
Can't say I've ever spear hunted.
When I was a teen did cross the Atlantic with my parents on the S.S. France...way better than any airplane.
Can't comment on the catalogue, never done it, don't think I want to.
Have spent vacations on horse back on trailrides...thoroughly enjoyable.
Barbecue over hickory briquettes every chance I get.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

Cook on a fire

I suck
lollol[/QUOTE]

Haha you've been drinking. Me too

I think Spears are too modern. OP should stop using technology for whining about people who use technology.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:52 PM

Stupid thread. I grew up in a province with no big game. I came here 20+ years ago and taught myself. Thankfully.

If I'd trolled the internet for advice I doubt I'd have killed a deer yet. I've bagged 60+ big game since then based solely on what I learned myself.

Tech can help but it is time in the field that counts. A new hunter with all the bells and whistles is never going to outhunt a veteran with knowledge and skills.

Experience gives you a sixth sense. You know when there is game around and when to just quickly move through an area.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 05-26-2017, 10:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Gitr, I get what you are saying, and I agree to an extent. First of all, I understand you are not criticizing "new" or "young" hunters. You are speaking more about "new age, modern" hunters.

Of course we are victims to a degree of consumerism focused on us by manufacturers. We have every personality on TV raving about his or her sponsor's "must have" technology. We gotta have that infrared, ozone spewing, digital, "TACTICAL" doohickey. We have to find the biggest animal we can, the fastest we can. High fences make it even easier. We train for 1000 yard shots even when we could get closer. I do think a few items, like rangefinders, don't really help you harvest as much as help ensure an ethical, clean kill, so I don't have any problem with those.

Now if you have limited time and you need the meat ASAP, I guess all that technology makes sense. Don't want to waste time roaming around, tracking, scouting, worrying about using the wind to mask your scent, etc. But if it's more of a passion, a lifestyle, a cherished activity, than a harvest, then the technology doesn't add much.

And having said all this, please understand I'm not condemning anyone who uses any particular technology in a legal way. Heck I use some myself. And I don't see it as much of an ethical issue either. For me it's more a comment on the pressure to buy all this crap. I guess another factor is that many of us cherish hunting because it takes us back to our primordial roots as a hunting creature. To me, layering a lot of technology on top of that just takes us further away from that heritage.

It reminds me of golf manufacturers constantly bringing out a "better" or "longer" golf ball or driver. Why? It doesn't add to the enjoyment of the game. It just makes it a requirement to redesign courses to meet the new technology. You don't have any more fun playing golf now than you did 30 years ago, and fun is the only reason to do it.

Politically correct.

Thank you.

You probably are balanced?

This response is meant to be non offensive.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
x2
Fur...it's not that us oldtimers begrudge modern technology...one of my other guns that the boys may eventually use has a modern expensive mildot scope, with level and inclinometer, bipod, adjustable everything.
What you're missing (and any flyfisher person will tell you) there's something about going one on one against nature with mostly you wits and skill as opposed to a bunch of store bought technology.
Your loss if you don't see the difference.
I have not missed a thing. If you do not like the way someone hunts, keep it to yourself. Always find it funny how old timers think they experince things better the old way. Old way is always best, that is only because you are comfortable with how you hunt. I am very comfortable how I hunt and get just as much enjoyment as you do. All the technology in the world does not make a hunt successful, if you think it does, well you missed something.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fur View Post
I have not missed a thing. If you do not like the way someone hunts, keep it to yourself. Always find it funny how old timers think they experince things better the old way. Old way is always best, that is only because you are comfortable with how you hunt. I am very comfortable how I hunt and get just as much enjoyment as you do. All the technology in the world does not make a hunt successful, if you think it does, well you missed something.
Ohhh... so you can make comments like "The OP sounds like the typical grumpy old man", but if anyone feels they want to comment on you we should keep it to ourselves.
Kinda two faced in my opinion.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:58 AM

I think that we all or atleast me got spoiled with the competition of having the biggest buck
Hunting really started out with the need of meat for survival and it has turned into a fun sport of who can shoot the biggest buck the meat seems to be a side treat and mabey only for me but I think we can't prevent the change in hunting but we sure can try to make it a fun and relaxing experience. I don't mince using technology to make the hunt easier!!! Hahah but I sure will say this using a scope n shooting a deer at 300yards doesn't make u feel as God as when u hit a squirrel at 100 with open sites
Wish y'all a nice scouting season and a good summer good luck with the fishing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2017, 05:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Technology and improved equipment is making hunters more successful and increasing kill rates thus reducing opportunity to hunt. There is no debate here, ask any biologist.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:54 PM

The unfortunate part of a thread like this is that no one asks the op to clarify or explain himself, instead it just becomes a pile on session. It seems many people enjoy this for some reason. Just creates a real poison atmosphere. Not good. Thankful for those who don't engage in the shark mentality.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:17 PM

When I first started hunting I thought I wanted every gadget out there. But due to being on a tight budget I could never afford it. I inherited my first rifle from my grandfather. Bought
A few pieces of camo from Wal-Mart and off I went. Struck out my first year but renewed my love of the outdoors. I tried shooting my buddies bow and that was it I had to have one. Saved my pennies. Bought an entry level bow for $500. I bought a cheap range finder and 2 trail cams off kijiji to help me sight in. Never had enough time to use it in the woods when an animal was around but was successful (x2) my second year. Now third year is coming. I've upgraded my sight on my bow. I would like to buy more trail cams since some of the places I hunt are hours from home.
I guess my point is that not every new hunter buys all these new gadgets. In fact all the new hunters that I know can't afford most of them.
The only thing that I think has made me a better hunter was to spend more time scouting earlier in the year. Getting to know the areas that I hunt.

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!
Old 05-27-2017, 07:21 PM

Anything that gets more young people into hunting and fishing is win win. Between the antis and the government there is enough anti hunting sentiment around without us stirring the pot.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Ohhh... so you can make comments like "The OP sounds like the typical grumpy old man", but if anyone feels they want to comment on you we should keep it to ourselves.
Kinda two faced in my opinion.
Please comment.

I have no problem explaining why I enjoy the outdoors. The OP started a thread criticizing new and up coming hunters. If you want to spit in the face of the future of this sport go ahead. The OP and you should be embarrassed about criticizing young hunters.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstone View Post
Technology and improved equipment is making hunters more successful and increasing kill rates thus reducing opportunity to hunt. There is no debate here, ask any biologist.
So only young hunters are ruining opportunity? Give your head a shake. Why don't you hang up your boots and let the young generation have a chance to enjoy the sport. Give up your property 10+.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:12 AM

THE COMMERCIALIZATION OF THE TROPHY

The American media mostly with reality hunting shows and magazines have put the emphasis on size and trophy stature instead of the experience. Advertising and the push for commercialization has created a very unhealthy consumer mentality....the right clothes, camo pattern, boots, bow, arrows, sights, gun, bullets, under layment, truck, 4 wheeler, brand association.....on and on. It never ends. Its all about the money...the look....and the feeling that you have the best instead of being your best.

This has changed the perception of the purpose of hunting. Its all mechanics now. Even as a family tradition where fathers and sons spent quality time together constructively. Now....marriage and having children has become a forgotten tradition in favor of 'shacking up' and guys having all of their toys.

Just look at the way some guys treat the woods...garbage, improper access, littering, wasted meat, selfies for social media instead of leaving the phone at the truck,

It will never be the way it was. Progress? Who needs it.

Last edited by broadfieldpoint; 05-28-2017 at 06:25 AM.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:49 AM
Banned

Nevermind.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Please comment.

I have no problem explaining why I enjoy the outdoors. The OP started a thread criticizing new and up coming hunters. If you want to spit in the face of the future of this sport go ahead. The OP and you should be embarrassed about criticizing young hunters.
You should learn to read...I never criticized young hunters.
I said there are two types of people...the kind who feel the goal is what's important and those that think the journey is what's important.
Both are after the 'goal' (the deer in the freezer), but it's often the the first (like you it would seem) who make no attempt to understand the second.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olthreelegs View Post
i would just say get off your quad or side by side and walk, walk , walk! Other than that i dont really care. Too many guys now hardly step foot out of their truck or off their quad
x2. I don't have anything to contribute outside of laughter for those that choose to purchase the ridiculous amount of merchandise being hawked on every single Wild TV program, but I draw the line at quads and atv's.

Pretty easy to compare to golf when it comes to the amount of paraphernalia available these days and how much it contributes to the final results which is usually Not Much.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:22 AM

I only hunt with a spear. And because my brain is bigger than my quarry's, I had a friend poke one of my eyes out with a stick to even it up a bit and provide more of a challenge. I am happy.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:29 AM
Banned

After the bow and arrow was invented, I wonder if the old-timer stone club users derided the people who used the new technology.

Driving around in a truck can be hunting, as can wandering the woods with a spear. Everybody has their own interpretation of hunting, and as long as something is being sought, nobody is wrong.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:31 AM

Guys you ever wonder why Boone & Crocket say it must be taken by "Fair Chase" or cannot be entered into the record books.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:44 AM

"You new hunters have forgotten how to hunt"

That's a bit of an oxymoron. Kinda like telling a baby learning to walk or talk that they wouldn't need to learn if they hadn't forgot in the first place.

But I do agree with Git and others that hunting has gotten off track, turned into a corporate marketing scheme glorifying commercialization and for many hunters making it a competition using our wildlife as a measuring stick of our abilities.

Last edited by Bushrat; 05-28-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:51 AM

I to got caught up in the gizmo technology
and large firearm collection, complete wth newest and bestest high end scopes
electronics and you name it I had it
so after keeping a hunting for 8 years
I found I was only ever using one rifle one scope , a pair of binoculars
and always the same tried and proven buck knife I started out hunting with in 1968,
so after taking a long look at what I only ever used, I held a huge garage sale, all my , stuff was sold in one short week end
now I only have my necessities , a few good shotguns one for clays 3 for geese , I keep some for my grand children when they come for their annual goose hunt with me
two big game rifles
a large one (300saum) and a smaller caliber (257 Roberts)
I sold all my spotting scopes, kept two trail cams , more for home security then anything else, sold all the electronic gizmo's that only ever collected dust
sold all my archery gear,
I was able to gather up enough funds to , finance a really nice waterfowl set up,
complete wth a retriever pup,
as age catches up with me I find spending time with my retriever , and waterfowl , seems to keep me happy , I really don't have the desire to go out hunting hard for moose elk or deer anymore,
I enjoy just being out with my camera more then a rifle or bow,
I think to each their own,
if its legal, and if it works for you
then anyone's else's opinion can truly just go pound on a sand bag some where
because they don't pay yer way in life, the pay yer mortgage, they don't wear your shoes,
worry about yerself and yer own ethics and standards ,
if it floats yer boat as long as its legal, and you can lay yer head on a pillow at night and close yer eyes and sleep, without some little voice saying that was just wrong what you did today
then all is good and the way it was supposed to be
and that's all I have to say about that
I hope you all have some great wonderful days in the out doors making incredible memories
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 05-28-2017, 11:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I only hunt with a spear. And because my brain is bigger than my quarry's, I had a friend poke one of my eyes out with a stick to even it up a bit and provide more of a challenge. I am happy.
Add a loincloth and you have a rugged look which would make any lumber-sexual feel overwhelmed...

I've been hunting for 9 years. I've always used a scoped rifle or a shotgun. For my next firearm I'm going with open sights.
My only "tech gadgets" are an older Garmin GPS and a SPOT.

I must agree with some of the preceding posts. It seems that older, wealthier men are the ones with all of the unnecessary toys.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:06 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

What ever legally puts a smile on your face and makes you feel good.
Hunt away.
No one can say what is right or wrong and shouldn't as long as your legally doing it then enjoy.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-28-2017, 12:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
So only young hunters are ruining opportunity? Give your head a shake. Why don't you hang up your boots and let the young generation have a chance to enjoy the sport. Give up your property 10+.
You should learn basic reading and comprehension....writing as well.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
What ever legally puts a smile on your face and makes you feel good.
Hunt away.
No one can say what is right or wrong and shouldn't as long as your legally doing it then enjoy.
That's the attitude right there!!!! If it's legal do it, do it do it, and to hell with everything.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstone View Post
You should learn basic reading and comprehension....writing as well.
He should learn some manners while he's at it.
Closed Thread