Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
Do you think mankind will survive considering the good chunk of the population drinking the special koolaid nowadays?
Well we've got red koolaid drinkers and blue koolaid drinkers, though neither group actually believes they drink koolaid. Maybe it will balance out.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltmania View Post
And this from an anti-vaxxer who's trying to convince us in this thread that basic cleanliness, hygiene, and sanitation is overkill and stay home because the world is a dirty place.
So, explain to me oh wise one, why for example is pertussis on the rise in the USA again?

Does it have anything to do with how clean a person is?
Old 05-25-2017, 11:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Mankind can survive if 30% of the population drank bleach. That isn't a reason to drink bleach.

And that's just me disagreeing with your line of reasoning. I don't really care if someone sweeps the McDonalds while I'm there.
my line of reasoning is that since man is capable of surviving way worse
that 2/3 of the world as of 2017 does not necessarily have the same standards as the 1st world
it's ridiculous to worry about the possible contaminants from the sweeping of a floor,
which is what the OP was originally writing about.

should things be clean?
sure, one would hope,

I mean how many people leave their toothbrushes in the bathroom?
many people do
that toothbrush has more contaminants on it than many realize,
yet every morning it goes into the mouth.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:44 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
Mmmmm...don't forget to close the lid.

Those are modern water fountains

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-25-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Those are modern water fountains
Reminds me of a bad... er, how can I name the movie without getting slapped and suspended by the mods?... oh you know, Johnny Knoxville's movie.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:01 PM
Banned

I often travel to Brooks for work. In doing so, I stopped at at Fas Gas station on Hwy 1. I needed to go for a pee and buy a cup of coffee. As I relieved myself in the urinal, I could hear a trucker having a major dump in the cubicle. After completing the business at hand, he walked right out without washing his hands and went on to pour himself a coffee and fondled all of the stir sticks in a styrofoam cup. I passed on the coffee, nor will I ever stop at that gas station ever again. And then there are those nice little Scotchman mints in an open jar near the cash register at gas stations. I'll pass thank-you, don't need to put something in my mouth that's possibly been handled with someone's hand that's been used to wipe their behind. I understand that children need to be thought proper hygiene, but adults? I don't care what you all have to say about human kind having survived thousands of years of diseases and sub-standard hygiene, I just wont' touch or put anything in my mouth that's been touched by feces.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I often travel to Brooks for work. In doing so, I stopped at at Fas Gas station on Hwy 1. I needed to go for a pee and buy a cup of coffee. As I relieved myself in the urinal, I could hear a trucker having a major dump in the cubicle. After completing the business at hand, he walked right out without washing his hands and went on to pour himself a coffee and fondled all of the stir sticks in a styrofoam cup. I passed on the coffee, nor will I ever stop at that gas station ever again. And then there are those nice little Scotchman mints in an open jar near the cash register at gas stations. I'll pass thank-you, don't need to put something in my mouth that's possibly been handled with someone's hand that's been used to wipe their behind. I understand that children need to be thought proper hygiene, but adults? I don't care what you all have to say about human kind having survived thousands of years of diseases and sub-standard hygiene, I just wont' touch or put anything in my mouth that's been touched by feces.
Finally, some sanity on this thread.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Most folks didn't survive very long. What do you think the average age was that people died at 400 years ago IF you made it out of childhood you were one of the lucky ones.
Not really.

http://johnhawks.net/weblog/reviews/...ence-2009.html
Old 05-25-2017, 06:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Finally, some sanity on this thread.
Thanks for that Shane. I have a feeling that a lot of people who post here lack the common sense that's it OK to drink water out of a pure mountain stream upstream of where cattle shat in it versus the ill effects of drinking downstream. Yet, they label themselves as "Outdoorsmen"
Old 05-25-2017, 07:15 PM

Are we really having the you need to wash your hands argument? This is as AO as it gets.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:14 PM

OP would have hated life 20 years ago when restaurants allowed (Gasp!) Smoking.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:41 AM
Banned

Default Not twenty years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
OP would have hated life 20 years ago when restaurants allowed (Gasp!) Smoking.
I am 58 years of age so grew up with smoking by others in public places. A few years ago posted in Transylvania where smoking is rampant in restaurants still so not easy.

A cigarette looks like a worm hanging out of a pigs ass.

South America was really bad for smoking in bars and clubs and still is.

Finally Paris kicks the smokers outside. I remember going to a New Years party at a very very exclusive in place to be and had to leave at 3 am because the smoke got so bad there my family could hardly take it. **** poor air exchange.

Cigars although enjoyed by some sure puts a miserable gagging stench in a confined area.

The ventilation in some night spots are sure poorly designed. Especially in Eastern Europe.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangosteen View Post
I am 58 years of age so grew up with smoking by others in public places. A few years ago posted in Transylvania where smoking is rampant in restaurants still so not easy.

A cigarette looks like a worm hanging out of a pigs ass.

South America was really bad for smoking in bars and clubs and still is.

Finally Paris kicks the smokers outside. I remember going to a New Years party at a very very exclusive in place to be and had to leave at 3 am because the smoke got so bad there my family could hardly take it. **** poor air exchange.

Cigars although enjoyed by some sure puts a miserable gagging stench in a confined area.

The ventilation in some night spots are sure poorly designed. Especially in Eastern Europe.
I can't stand the smell of cigarettes and never did right from a kid.

Those smoking "capsules" in the Paris Airport (CDG) are something to see...well you can't see...LOL. Even the most hardened smokers I travelled with detested going in one.

I was suprised how many Countries are going with the no smoking in restaurants, lounges etc.. When in Chad our Hotel was non-smoking in the Lobby, lounge and restaurants. You could even get a non-smoking room. The same when I was in Cairo.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13mileranch View Post
I can't stand the smell of cigarettes and never did right from a kid.

Those smoking "capsules" in the Paris Airport (CDG) are something to see...well you can't see...LOL. Even the most hardened smokers I travelled with detested going in one.

I was suprised how many Countries are going with the no smoking in restaurants, lounges etc.. When in Chad our Hotel was non-smoking in the Lobby, lounge and restaurants. You could even get a non-smoking room. The same when I was in Cairo.
A few years back, I was visiting a friend in the psych ward at the U of A hospital. They had a "smoking room" too, as many of the patients weren't allowed to leave. That thing was unreal. People were playing checkers in the "fog". Quite the sight.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
Your posted article contradicts your own point, and supports mine.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:22 PM

Good thing I never dropped any hotdog in the dirt while camping...brushed them off...and finished eating.

Had I... I could of died.

: sHa_sarcasticlol:
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-28-2017, 07:41 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Thanks for that Shane. I have a feeling that a lot of people who post here lack the common sense that's it OK to drink water out of a pure mountain stream upstream of where cattle shat in it versus the ill effects of drinking downstream. Yet, they label themselves as "Outdoorsmen"
An outdoorsman is a person who steps outside periodically ... I bet there is only more than likely 1% of users on this forum that would be deemed a true outdoorsman...the rest just periodically step outside.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-28-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
No surface water is safe to drink in Alberta.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:17 PM

Talking The Longest Stupidest Thread this month !

I can't believe this thread is still going. You guys
need to get out of your mom's basement and
breathe some fresh air!
Old 05-28-2017, 12:39 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
No surface water is safe to drink in Alberta.
Dang! Now you tell me, and me, I've been drinking from spings, streams and holes dug in the muskeg, for most of my life.
Now I find out it's gonna kill me.

I'm thinking it will probibly catch up with me when I'm around 95, or maybe 96.

Oh the tragidy of a young life cut short by drinking untreated water.

Walketon anyone?

George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-28-2017, 05:51 PM

Giardia can be everywhere, there are no guarantees it isnt. Couple years back l was hiking my kids up to Yoho lake they wanted to drink from the trailside stream. I said no for that very reason and made them drink from their water-bottles I was toting. 3 switchbacks later someone had taken a dump into that stream, skid-marked butt-wipe left in plain sight. My kids saw it and never bugged me about mountain stream water since. if you're comfortable drinking human fecal matter give 'er, it won't kill you, maybe.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Giardia can be everywhere, there are no guarantees it isnt. Couple years back l was hiking my kids up to Yoho lake they wanted to drink from the trailside stream. I said no for that very reason and made them drink from their water-bottles I was toting. 3 switchbacks later someone had taken a dump into that stream, skid-marked butt-wipe left in plain sight. My kids saw it and never bugged me about mountain stream water since. if you're comfortable drinking human fecal matter give 'er, it won't kill you, maybe.
I was on a climbing trip in 1978 with Yamnuska when one of the young ladies in the girls group nearly succumbed to a bad case of Giardia. She was flown out from Aster lake and luckily survived. It was tough to see how sick this kid was, she looked like she was about to die at any time. Our group of kids 14-16 years old was cut loose and had to fend for ourselves because our instructor had to run back to Kananaskis lakes in order to summon the helicopter to get her out of there. I'd love to see a few of the tough guys here come down with a bad case of Giardia then come on here and brag about how tough they are.

If you're stupid enough to take chances with your health then you should be the one paying for it when you come down with something that was easily preventable.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:28 PM
Banned

You know, I'm starting to realize why kids today are scared of everything.

All life is a risk.

How did we ever survive our rough and tumble childhoods.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post

All life is a risk.

We were the smart ones that "moved" when playing lawn darts.

Dodger.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:56 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

All life is a risk.

LOL Yup.

An they sure don't like to admit they know they are wrong, always gotta bring in the fecal matter argument.

It's like, no one ever goes where a crowd has not already gone. No wonder they are scared of bears, water, their neighbors, zombies, and law enforcement!

If one tenth of what they fear were true, this country would have never been settled, not by white settlers or by people crossing a land bridge 10,000 years ago.

The problem isn't nature, it's too many yuppies with their GPSs and cell phones getting away from it all by following paved trails to park attractions and spreading garbage everywhere to educate bears that people are a source of food.

There is a whole interesting, safe world outside those cities and parks.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-28-2017, 10:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
LOL Yup.

An they sure don't like to admit they know they are wrong, always gotta bring in the fecal matter argument.
Yep, would still like to see people swab their toothbrushes to find out how much fecal matter they brush their teeth with

Be sure to wear a full body net in the woods, might get west nile or malaria.
Don't forget to pack the medicine cabinet.
Full first aid kit.
I can only imagine what people pack in the woods.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Yep, would still like to see people swab their toothbrushes to find out how much fecal matter they brush their teeth with

Be sure to wear a full body net in the woods, might get west nile or malaria.
Don't forget to pack the medicine cabinet.
Full first aid kit.
I can only imagine what people pack in the woods.
You wipe your a_s with your toothbrush?
Old 05-28-2017, 10:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
You wipe your a_s with your toothbrush? Must be itchy all day.
Every time you flush that toilet, it sprays all over the place

Have you died yet?
Old 05-28-2017, 10:11 PM

Of course not, silly.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2017, 10:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Of course not, silly.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Good old mint toothpaste...

And I'm sure the only case of beaver fever you'll ever get...

Ah, nevermind.

Enjoying a dram of whisky tonite