Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2017, 02:44 PM

I don't think that countries we are ( were or will be) bombing really care whether we use F-18 or F-35 or F -85
Old 02-14-2017, 05:14 PM

Thumbs up F18 'Advanced' Super Hornet

F18 'Advanced' Super Hornet ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ziru4_F3uvo

The US is considering replacing some of their planned (and VERY costly) F35's, with the new F18 'Advanced' Super Hornets:
- http://ottawacitizen.com/news/nation...ace-some-f-35s
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE8b6jl_C88
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCtgLk3lLSA

It's time for Canada to follow suit and replace all it's 'once planned' F35's with these new Hornets. And with the money left over, we could buy even more of the new Hornets!

Mac
Old 02-14-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post

F18 'Advanced' Super Hornet ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ziru4_F3uvo

The US is considering replacing some of their planned (and VERY costly) F35's, with the new F18 'Advanced' Super Hornets:
- http://ottawacitizen.com/news/nation...ace-some-f-35s
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE8b6jl_C88
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCtgLk3lLSA

It's time for Canada to follow suit and replace all it's 'once planned' F35's with these new Hornets. And with the money left over, we could buy even more of the new Hornets!

Mac

the F18 super hornet is just an improved version of an outdated platform. the F35 is an advanced clean sheet design. F35 technology is in a whole different class compared to the super hornet. in a time when the Chinese and others are building stealth aircraft, I don't see the rationale of investing in outdated and soon to be antique designs. China and Russia will be eyeing up the far north for oil, gas, and mineral deposits, so we need to have a strong deterrent to protect our borders and territorial waters. the super hornet definitely isn't the tool for the job, and every time the F35 goes out it just keeps getting better.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Laurie Hawn added 2 new photos.
February 13 at 5:01pm ·

Speaking truth to power can be risky
I re-confirmed that this week by speaking out rather more forcefully than was appreciated to the Commander of the RCAF and the Chief of the Defence Staff, on the issue of the CF-18 replacement. This is a condensation of some of my main points, and I know that senior military leaders have their hands tied. As followers will know, I have been very critical of the 100% politically motivated plan to buy 18 “interim” Super Hornets for some time and the story only gets worse.
We could fill the fabricated “capability gap” with 27 F-18C/D aircraft from Kuwait at the bargain basement price of $330 million, but we’re not pursuing it. We could also upgrade our 76 CF-18s to Super Hornet system status for about 20% of what it will cost us to buy 18 Super Hornets. Rather than pursue either of those options, we’d rather waste about USD 5.4 Billion on 18 aircraft with no real increase in capability. The cost of 90 F-35As will be USD 8.5 Billion (USD 94.6 million per) in the latest contract; and that unit cost will come down to USD 85 million by the time we should be receiving our first aircraft about 2020. What is wrong with this picture?
The F-18C is virtually identical to our CF-18s, while the Super Hornet is very different in size, radar, engines, mission computers and other systems. We don’t have the qualified technicians, pilots and support capacity to manage our current fleet; and adding a dissimilar fleet will make a very difficult job impossible. We are losing pilots to release at a rate that is unsustainable, and there is no ether that we can dip into to hive off more to get trained on the Super Hornet.
Neither the CF-18 nor Super Hornet actually has the kinematics to properly execute our primary mission of peacetime air sovereignty, with commercial aircraft operating above 40,000 feet. F-35 can properly execute that mission, and many more. The real experts were not consulted and, in fact, 240 of them have been muzzled with lifetime non-disclosure agreements. Why would a government with nothing to hide do that? The answer is that they wouldn’t, and this government has a lot to hide. It would be nice if the Auditor General and the Ethics Commissioner would take an interest. The options analysis that was conducted and clearly showed F-35 to be the answer has been suppressed, because it didn’t conform to the Prime Minister’s foolish and inaccurate statements during and since the 2015 campaign. And you thought that Donald Trump was the only purveyor of “alternate facts”.
Super Hornet also has serious safety concerns with the oxygen system that has resulted in 297 (reported) incidents that have resulted in the permanent grounding of some aircrew. Can we afford that and has anyone done a risk analysis of operating Super Hornet?
An open and fair competition could be started tomorrow and take no more than a year; but the government wants to kick the can down the road until after the next election. If the Statement of Requirements (SOR) is not “modified” to eliminate F-35, that aircraft would win any fair competition, just as it has in so many other cases. There’s good reason to believe that the SOR is being “massaged”. There will be nothing interim about a Super Hornet buy. Even if F-35 were to win a rigged competition, the sudden realization will be that, “Gosh, we just cannot afford a mixed fleet and we’ll just have to buy more Super Hornets.” The first part of that statement would be correct – we cannot afford a mixed fleet of Super Hornet and F-35 down the road, just as we cannot afford a mixed fleet of CF-18 and Super Hornet today.
The latest bit of insanity is that we are looking at buying two-seat Super Hornets and putting navigators in the back seat as Weapons System Operators (WSO). Our primary mission is air defence and there are no two-seat air defence fighters in the world today. There is a reason for that - navigators in fighters and many other applications have been overtaken by technology years ago. To be sure, fighter pilots will also eventually be overtaken by technology; but for the next few decades they have a job to do. We have no capacity to train WSOs, even if someone did invent a reason to want to do so.
The bottom line is that we can’t afford to do what we’re doing for a wide variety of reasons – Canadian sovereignty and security, financial, technical, personnel, moral, alliance support, Canadian industry, etc. If we carry on, I firmly believe and many others share my belief that we will kill the fighter force. I simply can’t support that and my conscience will not let me stay silent and be deemed complicit by that silence. I have been in and around the RCAF for 53 years and it is soul destroying to see what is happening in the name of politics. As anticipated, my vocal opposition to the plan was not well received by the most senior leadership of the RCAF and Canadian Armed Forces. I was asked to resign my position of Honourary Colonel of 401 Tactical Fighter Squadron (the oldest Squadron in the RCAF, 20 Nov 1918). That, I dutifully did, but since I’m not important enough to have sword, I just fell on my pen-knife.
I will continue to advocate for what I think is in the best interests of the RCAF, Canada, our aerospace industry AND taxpayers. Most Canadians may not really care about Super Hornet versus F-35, but I think they do care about the waste of billions of dollars for very little return, especially if it’s purely in the name of politics. More to follow
Old 02-15-2017, 05:11 PM

Arrow CF-105 Avro Super Arrow

. CF-105 Avro Super Arrow

CF-105 Avro Super Arrow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2386C0aHGs

It beats out the old F35 ten times over (sorry MarkG ).

And its stealth is so good, nobody's seen it yet!
Old 02-15-2017, 09:44 PM

Default Unicorn

It should be called the Avro Unicorn!
Old 02-16-2017, 03:27 PM

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/compa...cid=spartandhp
Old 02-22-2017, 02:22 PM

Default F35 kill ratio

It would appear that the f35 isn't as horrible plane as they are making it out to be. In a recent red/blue flag event it tallied a 17-1 kill ratio

https://youtu.be/zgLjNsB_hyM
Old 02-22-2017, 02:23 PM

Default Heck it even looks like an Arrow head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
. CF-105 Avro Super Arrow

CF-105 Avro Super Arrow https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2386C0aHGs

It beats out the old F35 ten times over (sorry MarkG ).

And its stealth is so good, nobody's seen it yet!
Cool Photos
Old 02-22-2017, 06:30 PM

Thumbs up CF-105 Avro 'Super' Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
Cool Photos
And and the CF-105 Avro 'Super' Arrow is 100% developed, designed, and Made In Canada!

Shame on Canada for not doing what Sweden has done (a country of only a third of our population) ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLtBqnSoKPA

Mac
Old 05-26-2017, 11:03 AM
Banned

Default Push Back on Super Hornet Purchase

Saw an interesting article about the Super Hornet purchase as an interim solution to the "capability gap" that is claimed because of the age of the current CF-18 fleet.

Most interesting is the note to the Government by former Air Force Commanders regarding this stupid move.

They should just buy the F-35 as if you do some research on it, new information from exercises and pilot reports (I read a report by a pilot from Norway, just one of many) seem to show that the F-35 is a very capable and dangerous aircraft.

https://tacairnet.com/2017/05/09/the...-for-the-rcaf/
Old 05-26-2017, 11:28 AM

Default Mazaratis and Mack Trucks

WTF you say? What does this have to do with Super hornets and F 35s you say?

Well the answer is simple. Each TOOL has its own advantages and limitations. You do not pull 50,000 KG with a Mazarati. You do not drive 250 km / hr with a Mack Truck.

BUT for example, say we buy 40 F 35's to do the "stealth deterrent work" and save the difference and buy 50 F 18 Super Hornets to do the ground attack and bombing, then you end up with a lot more planes and enough of each to do the assigned tasks that each are good at.

Air Defence and Air Support cannot be done well by either plane by itself.

Now wasn't that simple?

Drewski
Old 05-26-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
We need to make our own weapons of war we have the people and the smarts . just got to stop playing the merican way.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:41 AM
Banned

The problem is the cost of operating two different aircraft. That one of the reasons that the US air force is seriously contemplating the F-35 for close air support to replace the A-10, as well as the fact that the A-10 is not stealthy.

I can see the benefit of using F-18 Super Hornets in missions where stealth is not required, but is very expensive.

Not sure we can afford it.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
It should be called the Avro Unicorn!
Avro phoenix
Old 05-26-2017, 11:42 AM

With the reliance on computer and GPS and etc type of technologies, it does make a person wonder how long some of this stuff would still be functional, if a real war started with Russia or China. Not like it is difficult to take out a few of the critical support systems. And then there is aerial refueling requirements to contend with. And then what do they back it up with once it is gone?
Old 05-26-2017, 11:46 AM
Banned

The F-35 is reported to have pretty good range actually.

All new fighters have these systems so they'd all be at risk.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:17 PM

"Advanced" Super Pinto. Police service should buy them instead of new interceptors.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Cool Photos
yup
Old 05-28-2017, 06:22 AM

F-35 is serious next-level **** bra!
Old 08-01-2017, 12:22 PM

Default Debate between a critic of the plane and Pilot who loves it

Here is a like that has a debate between a Obivious critic and a Marine Col. who loves the plane. I found it to be interesting.

The Marine pilot is a top guy instructor. He loves the plane.

https://youtu.be/1Pgiq-TlmSo

Last edited by markg; 08-01-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:23 PM

Default Kinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper View Post
We need to make our own weapons of war we have the people and the smarts . just got to stop playing the merican way.
One of the advantages of the F-35 Program was that each country that is part of it gets to manufacture parts of the plane. Its not as good as total production but it does put some of the money back into the countries that fly the plane.