Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2017, 12:52 PM

Default Where to buy a 60 degree drill bit?

I have a cracked wind screen on my Ranger boat, so I bought a replacement set from the factory. The double bubbles don't have the mounting holes drilled in the lexan yet. I spoke with the OEM supplier and he said the holes have to be drilled with a 6 degree bit or it may catch and crack the lexan. Anyone know where I might be able to find that type of bit in Canada? I did a google search with no luck. Thanks.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:57 PM

Try United Tool...
Old 05-25-2017, 12:59 PM

Just grind the bit to whatever angle you need. It's easy with a little practice. Lexan will be easy to drill so you might get away with a less than perfect job.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:31 PM

Thanks for the info. I might try it myself if I can't find one, but after buying, shipping, and tax I'm into these for several hundred dollars and almost a month to get them. I'm not adverse to spending a few bucks to buy a perfect job rather than cracking a screen.

The lady at United said she has been doing the job for 30 years and this was the first time she had a request for this. She directed me to a bit for a milling machine, but there are links to supplier catalogues so I'll look at those.

Last edited by Northern Bob; 05-25-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:50 PM

Back in my stock car days we used lexan windshields. Just used a regular bit, drilled the holes and bolted it on. Maybe it's changed now. Maybe try and look up how they install on helicopters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2017, 01:50 PM

I don't blame you for being cautious. You've got an already broken windscreen to practise on though.

Doing things the right way with the proper tools is always best. Good luck!
Old 05-25-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post
I don't blame you for being cautious. You've got an already broken windscreen to practise on though.
My thoughts as well. Lexan is soft; any bit should go through fine. When you are almost through, increase speed and reduce downward pressure so you slowly cut through, instead of "augering" through it. Then the bit bottoms out and ends up cracking it off.

Drill a dozen holes in your old screen and see how successful you are. I bet it works out fine for you.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:06 PM

I think you can use a glass and tile bit on plastics

https://www.lowes.ca/drill-bits/bosc..._g1590814.html

Not sure but I think this is what my Dad used to replace the wind shield on his pontoon boat
Old 05-25-2017, 02:07 PM

Rembo on here is a machinist and may chime in...
Old 05-25-2017, 04:29 PM

fyi..
"Drill bits for acrylic:
Specially ground point, 60° included tip angle, 0°rake angle, shoulder relieved, for drilling acrylic sheet to prevent fractures, chipping or cracking."

Aircraft supply shops like Spruce or leven Brothers would have it. Maybe a glass shop would sell you one or a loaner.....

We drill lexan all the time with regular bits without cracking......put a 2x4 under the drill exit point so you don't bust thru on the short stroke. A smaller pilot hole would work as well.
As others have said: experiment with your broken one.