Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-05-2017, 05:16 PM

Old Norco Rampage (probably circa 1996). Could use a tune up, but still a nice light commuter.
Old 05-10-2017, 04:30 PM

This guy will need a new bike. Ouch!! Crazy Driver.

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-englan...t-over?SThisFB

Sent from my iPad
Old 05-10-2017, 04:50 PM
Banned

That was my x wife driving the car, barely survived! hehehe
Old 05-13-2017, 01:24 PM

I just pulled the trigger on a " Real " Bike. Bought a 2017 Rocky Mountain Growler 750. It's a plus size bike so with a set of studded tires I should be able to run it all year round. Tried to get the best all round bike for trails and downhill. Pick it up on the long weekend.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:53 PM

2016 Nitro XT
Old 05-13-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnluvr View Post
Sold my old trusty Norco Bigfoot yesterday and bought a new Specialized Rockhopper Comp today. Pick it up tomorrow 👍
Just ordered my first mountain bike, the same as mtnluvr, a Specialized Rockhopper Comp!! Will be here on Wed!!

The better half has a Devinci for the past few years!

Cheers

SS
Old 05-15-2017, 12:58 PM

Just bought last week, very lightly used Giant XTC 1. Speedometer shows 2:41 for hours/minutes of usage. Mint!
Second set of tires never used.

Super nice but hardtail.
Oldest son now owns my Gary Fisher Tarpon................... he is a happy 13 year old!!!
Old 05-15-2017, 02:00 PM

I've got a super cycle.
It's super, alright.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:52 PM

Norco Sight LE. Rented the aluminum sight when I was in Squamish and had to upgrade from the Santa Cruz Bullit. It's a fun ride, built it up from a frame I purchased.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:31 PM

Default Plus Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
I just pulled the trigger on a " Real " Bike. Bought a 2017 Rocky Mountain Growler 750. It's a plus size bike so with a set of studded tires I should be able to run it all year round. Tried to get the best all round bike for trails and downhill. Pick it up on the long weekend.
The plus bikes are great but they do not take the place of a FAT BIKE. I bought a Specialized Stumpjumper Comp (actually two as one for the wife also) and the 3 inch tires and 27.5 wheels are a dream especially if converted to tubeless so you can run low pressures. They will work in the winter and with studs could be used on some trails and roads but won't provide sufficient flotation for use on winter trails. As a result I ended up getting a plus sized FAT BIKE and these are a blast but still require studded tires if there is any amount of ice. Some areas even limit biking on winter trails to bikes with a minimum width of 3.7 inches so something to keep in mind. Studded tires for a fat bike don't come cheap!
Old 05-16-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgupnorth View Post
The plus bikes are great but they do not take the place of a FAT BIKE. I bought a Specialized Stumpjumper Comp (actually two as one for the wife also) and the 3 inch tires and 27.5 wheels are a dream especially if converted to tubeless so you can run low pressures. They will work in the winter and with studs could be used on some trails and roads but won't provide sufficient flotation for use on winter trails. As a result I ended up getting a plus sized FAT BIKE and these are a blast but still require studded tires if there is any amount of ice. Some areas even limit biking on winter trails to bikes with a minimum width of 3.7 inches so something to keep in mind. Studded tires for a fat bike don't come cheap!
Awesome thanks for the input, I am new to this so appriciated. I am looking forward to hitting some trailes this year.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I've got a super cycle.
It's super, alright.
Yep super-heavy, I'm on my third.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:13 PM

Do you guys have any suggestions on bike shops in and around Edmonton that I I could take my boys to look at/get new mountain bikes? Both my boys are 14 and riding Norco bikes(13" frames) but are needing to upgrade. Both love to ride the off road trails along the North Saskatchewan river which has been hard on the Norco bikes. I do have a line on a used KHS bike(16" frame) but don't much about the brand.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lund17 View Post
Do you guys have any suggestions on bike shops in and around Edmonton that I I could take my boys to look at/get new mountain bikes? Both my boys are 14 and riding Norco bikes(13" frames) but are needing to upgrade. Both love to ride the off road trails along the North Saskatchewan river which has been hard on the Norco bikes. I do have a line on a used KHS bike(16" frame) but don't much about the brand.
Folks at klondike cycle 100ave 170st have always treated us good. Local shop, knowledgeable. Always free tune ups.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:58 AM

Default Bike Shop

Revolution Cycle lets you test ride any bike you want. Service is pretty good as well.