Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-12-2017, 10:53 AM

Default Limbsaver REcoil Pad Opinion

Looking to put a new recoil pad on my old Browning Abolt and I was looking at the Limb Saver pads. Any opinions on them?
Old 05-12-2017, 11:24 AM

I put a Limbsaver on a rifle where I wanted to tame the recoil a bit. Works great. However I find it a bit big and square, could catch on a coat more easily than more rounded, less thick pads. If you want something simple as a replacement that isn't too noticeable I'd try a Pachmayr Decelerator pad. Never used one but I think they are well-thought of as well.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:25 AM

To me, they provide excellent recoil absorption. That said I prefer a sporting clay decelerator. Tougher, quicker to shoulder, and better looking. I've seen limbsavers looking pretty rough from gun cleaners, add to that they catch on your clothing more when shouldering.

Oko types faster then me, he got it covered.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I put a Limbsaver on a rifle where I wanted to tame the recoil a bit. Works great. However I find it a bit big and square, could catch on a coat more easily than more rounded, less thick pads. If you want something simple as a replacement that isn't too noticeable I'd try a Pachmayr Decelerator pad. Never used one but I think they are well-thought of as well.
Which Limsaver did you get? Some certainly seem bulky.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I've got a Decelerator on an AWR Remington 700 .338 win mag (very light rifle). It does a very good job and isn't near as bulky as a Limbsaver, although I hear they work well also.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:52 PM

Limbsavers do a great job of absorbing recoil but they can catch on your clothing. Ok on a rifle but not good on a shotgun.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:53 PM

I've used both, and still have both. Fit and finish go to the Pachmyer Decelerator, but I found it harder to source particular pads from them. The Limbsavers are easier to find seems like. They both do about the same job, which is to say, good.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-12-2017, 02:02 PM

Limb saver and kick eez are excellent pads for reducing recoil , however they dont grind/ finish as nice as the pachmyr pads . Pachmyr are not quite the same quality as they used to be .
Old 05-12-2017, 02:30 PM

Default Limbsaver pads

My only experience with Limbsavers is a factory install on a TC muzzle loader. It does tend to hang up on your clothes. It definitely absorbs the recoil but I tend to crowd the scope and the limbsaver has too much flexibility for me and squishes too much under recoil which reduces my eye relief on the scope and has caused problems in the past (read "bloodied bridge of nose") with a hurried shot taken while leaning against a tree.
My other TC 50 cal has a steel butt plate and I don't have a problem with it. I am not recoil sensitive and prefer a recoil pad with less compression than the Limbsavers.

Phil
Old 05-12-2017, 02:58 PM

I really appreciate everyone's feedback, thank you so much. I will definately checkout the PachMayr.

Canuck_Hunter
Old 05-12-2017, 06:39 PM
Banned

I just put a LimbSaver on my new-to-me 223, not for recoil reduction but to replace the chewed-up factory butt pad.

It's very soft and works as advertised, and looks better than the old one it replaced !

And I didn't have to grind it, it's a near perfect fit...

Old 05-12-2017, 07:44 PM

I put limbsavers on everything, not just for recoil but also to increase the length of pull.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I put limbsavers on everything, not just for recoil but also to increase the length of pull.
That's a good point, and one of the advantages of mine as well. I can use the extra thickness.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:13 AM

could only shoot 3-5 rounds out of my 7mm rem mag without a limbsaver, after i put one on i can shoot it all day now.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:24 AM

Threw a Limbsaver on my shotgun to increase LOP and soften the recoil and I can shoot it all day with target loads. Also put one on my Tikka since the factory ones suck. Didn't mind the shape but did find the pad was lots grippier and tended to get caught more when you shouldered it quickly. Younger shooters was a factor for me. Was worried my daughter wouldn't be comfortable with the recoil but has no problem shooting it now. No experience with the Pachmayr pads though I might try them for a different rifle.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:09 PM

Default Savage 111 .270

I know I know, a .270 doesn't kick. I have had probably 15 rifles between .243 and 30 win mag and I can honestly say this little savage 111 was the first one that made me say ow with a rock for a recoil pad. I recently purchased the savage 111 .270 for a great running through the bush rifle. I always make fun of my buddy for owning a savage but that might have to stop. I bought it slightly used(20 shots) and fired a few targets with 3 ammos and was delighted that 2 of the 3 ammos were 3/4 moa. This with a cheap 3-9 scope. After about 12 shots it was painfully clear to me that the recoilpad would be getting a replacement. Just put a limbsaver on it and will give you a update when I fire a few shots though it. Fit and finish not perfect but acceptable for my needs. Paid $62.00
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9287.jpg (42.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9291.jpg (39.6 KB, 25 views)
Old 05-18-2017, 07:58 PM

Look at the molding seam running down the top center of the stock... and your worried about the fit and finish of the recoil pad!

Sorry, that was my inside voice.......
Old 05-18-2017, 08:14 PM
Banned

I for one would certainly not recommend a Limbsaver on a shotgun. Nor would I if they need to be ground to fit. Otherwise, on a centerfire and a perfect fit, they will do.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:23 PM

Default Love the limbsaver!

I was shooting my savage 110 in 7mmrm without a pad for a while.... wow.. she's a mule.

Got a lot limbsaver pad on it... it's a pleasure to handle now.

Unbelievable difference.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 05-18-2017, 08:25 PM

Default Recoil Pad

Son looking to replace crappy factory pad on a Savage 212 slug gun.Odd shaped plastic stock that none of the Limbsavers fit.May end up with a slip on.Harold