Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-01-2017, 09:30 PM

Default Montana elk decoy

Been working my butt off the last little bit at finding some elk and learning there movements and how to pattern them and hunt them. Going to be going hard after them with my bow this year and wondering if you guys recommend or use the Montana cow elk decoy?
Old 05-01-2017, 10:14 PM

I use an old rubber head decoy I won at a RMEF dinner, seems to work ok but I hunt mostly solo and hunt elk off the ground and only used the decoy once. 6 elk came in and the decoy seemed to calm them down.

LC
Old 05-01-2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw12 View Post
Been working my butt off the last little bit at finding some elk and learning there movements and how to pattern them and hunt them. Going to be going hard after them with my bow this year and wondering if you guys recommend or use the Montana cow elk decoy?
Yep, I've packed "Ella" on several hunts and she seems to bring the real elk well within bow range in the right circumstances. Quick and easy to set up, my version is just a rump and is always better used with 2 people (one caller and one shooter). Could probably have better chances if there are 2 shooters and a caller, but the chance of swirling wind had to be taken into account.

My hunting partner has the side profile version and I seem to recall his being slightly more complex to setup? Not sure though.

J.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:32 AM

Awesome. I'll mostly be hunting alone and off the ground as well and I realize that is a challenge in itself. I'll definitely pick one up. Thanks guys
Old 05-02-2017, 09:37 AM

I should add the decoy didn't bring them in nor was it responsible for me shooting an elk.

LC
Old 05-02-2017, 09:54 AM

No no for sure! I'm just looking for any little bit of help.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:17 PM

We used one last year me and a buddy it worked like a charm. They come out and had there eyes locked on her until he got in direct line with her and it was like she disappeared on him. he took off about 10-20 feet and then he could see her again and he stopped walked 30 yards from my buddy and he stuck an arrow in him. So the only thing i would have to say is once they are facing each other (hope you know what i mean) to them they can no longer see her. But other wise i will be packing her in my pack every time now.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:50 PM

I have a heads-up cow elk decoy, kinda need a caller / decoy partner to get them broadside inside bow range, some day maybe, ha.

TBark