Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-26-2020, 09:41 PM

Default Help a girl out? Side by side

Hey! So I picked up this old relic today and I’m just wondering if anyone knows anything about it? It’s by Neuman Brothers and I tried to take the best pics I could of all the markings. If anyone knows anything it would be greatly appreciated! All I could find out about them was they were made in Belgium between 1863 and 1957. Thank you in advance !
Photos here
https://app.photobucket.com/u/lexiee...1-658e94909ab3
Old 03-26-2020, 09:49 PM

I can't see the pics , but I can tell you that the Neuman Bros. guns were typical of the mass produced Belgian guns of the period . I have seen some higher end Nuemans but gor the most part they produced cheaper , more affordable guns.
If it is tight it is still likely shootable but you should have it checked out by a competent person first .
Cat
Old 03-26-2020, 09:53 PM

Just sent you a PM
Cat
Old 03-26-2020, 10:09 PM

Cool looking gun
Old 03-26-2020, 10:48 PM

Okay, I could not see the pics on my phone but I can see them clearly on my computer.
Left barrel is "choke bored" looks like a modified or tight IC .
also looks like it is 2 1/2" chambers because it has the definitive black powder proof marks on it.
It is a cheaper gun, built without a detent or "fly" in the lock which prevents the gun from inadvertently hitting the half cock notch when being fired.
It is also in very sad shape as far as the butt stock goes, and unless someone want to glue it back up for a conversation piece it is not worth bringing back into shootable condition.
" The interchangeable" stamp on the lock indicates that the gun was built during the period when Belgium as going whole hog industrial, and that lock would fit several different brands, such as Dumoulin, Nuemann Bros., Jannsen and Sons, just to name a few.
it is what is commonly called a "hardware store gun", built for export too the colonies
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 03-26-2020 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:52 AM

Here are a few of the many pictures on the link for those that can't get the link to work.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtz View Post
Cool looking gun
Thanks, I think so too
Old 03-27-2020, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Okay, I could not see the pics on my phone but I can see them clearly on my computer.
Left barrel is "choke bored" looks like a modified or tight IC .
also looks like it is 2 1/2" chambers because it has the definitive black powder proof marks on it.
It is a cheaper gun, built without a detent or "fly" in the lock which prevents the gun from inadvertently hitting the half cock notch when being fired.
It is also in very sad shape as far as the butt stock goes, and unless someone want to glue it back up for a conversation piece it is not worth bringing back into shootable condition.
" The interchangeable" stamp on the lock indicates that the gun was built during the period when Belgium as going whole hog industrial, and that lock would fit several different brands, such as Dumoulin, Nuemann Bros., Jannsen and Sons, just to name a few.
it is what is commonly called a "hardware store gun", built for export too the colonies
Cat
Thank you for the info
Old 03-27-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybird View Post
Thank you for the info
No problem , I happen to have s
Dumoulin and a Janzen and sons and a Nuemann Bros. in the vault !
Cat

Tags
old gun, restoring, shot gun 12 gauge, side by side