Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-31-2008, 05:41 PM

Default Bore snake vs cleaning rod

I have been using a bore snake in my 45/70 guide gun lately because it is easier than taking the bolt out and cleaning it with a rod and solvent. Is there a down side to this? Does it get the barrel as clean or does it get it clean enough? Should I be using a cleaning rod and solvent as well?
Old 03-31-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck44 View Post
I have been using a bore snake in my 45/70 guide gun lately because it is easier than taking the bolt out and cleaning it with a rod and solvent. Is there a down side to this? Does it get the barrel as clean or does it get it clean enough? Should I be using a cleaning rod and solvent as well?
I would use a muzzle guide and clean it from the front.

Borensakes have been know to bust inside a barrel, and it is a problem to get them out after.

I like to soak my barrels ( depending on the solvent) and you cannot do this with a boresnake.

Try this:
Clean your guide gun with a boresnake , then give it a wipeout treatment, cleaning it after with a jag , muzzle protector and rod.
You will be amazed at the crap coming out!
Cat
Old 03-31-2008, 06:00 PM

The Bore snake is a field cleaning device, IMO it should not replace proper cleaning with a one pice rod and a good copper solvent alternated with a good powder solvent.
Wipe out eleiminates a lot of time pushing patches, but again I'd be using a rod and not the bore snake to do the final couple of patches.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-31-2008, 06:56 PM
stubblejumper

I use a one piece dewey rod and cotton patches.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:05 PM

Borescope says boresnake is crap.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:20 PM

http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/gr/pr_boresnake.htm

There are no absolutes
Old 03-31-2008, 07:59 PM
Gone Hunting

Two totally different tools, and are to be applied at different times for different things..... Like Dick and Cat said, one is for actually cleaning, and the other is strictly a field tool. I always have a snake in my pack for the rig im carrying at the time. Wonderful tool on all field trips, and the longer the duration of the trip, the more valuable the snake can be. On back pack hunts, its invaluable.

keep a strain on er.

Last edited by packhuntr; 03-31-2008 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:32 PM

Guess I should give it a good clean tonight. How many shots do you run through a gun before cleaning? I generally clean mine every time I use it except with 22's but the number of shots can range from 0 or 1 to 50+.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Guess I should give it a good clean tonight. How many shots do you run through a gun before cleaning? I generally clean mine every time I use it except with 22's but the number of shots can range from 0 or 1 to 50+.
I decopper when my accuracy goes south, there is no set number of rounds for that.
As far as general cleaning goes, I take the powder fouling out after every range session with Power tune and Kroil or G96.
Bolt gets lubed regularly while at the range if I'm runnig 100 rounds or so from each gun.
Cat
Old 03-31-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
How many shots do you run through a gun before cleaning?
I clean them when they need cleaning! For some rifles that works out to ever 15 or so rounds, others up to every 30 to 50 rounds. This criteria is obtained by seeing when the accuracy will begin to fall off, and that's when it should be cleaned.
Conversly some rifles just shoot better when a wee bit fouled. Again that is determined by finding out when the accuracy comes together.

So ya I clean them, but only when they need it. (every rifle is diffrent)
Running an oily patch through them in the wet season is just routine preventative maintenance and is not considered cleaning.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-31-2008, 09:12 PM

i have shot exact same rounds through two identical shotguns...and then i cleaned mine with my boresnake...the other was cleaned with rods etc. the results....neither was discernibly better or worse than the other. however i was done much more quickly....that being said..that is a smooth bore..and that may be the difference when cleaning a rifled barrel......
Old 03-31-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
i have shot exact same rounds through two identical shotguns...and then i cleaned mine with my boresnake...the other was cleaned with rods etc. the results....neither was discernibly better or worse than the other. however i was done much more quickly....that being said..that is a smooth bore..and that may be the difference when cleaning a rifled barrel......
There is a very big difference between rifle barrels and shotgun barrels.
In a rifle barrel, the pressures are far greater, and you are swedging a copper projectile down a bore that is rifled, so you have grooves as well as lands to deposit copper, so you also have edges to wear.
In a shogun bore, the shot can compress and elongate as it is heading down the bore.
With no rifleing to add friction, there is far less stuff being deposited.
i's a bit more complicated that this, but that is the gist of it.....
Cat
Old 03-31-2008, 09:24 PM
stubblejumper

I pay good money for top quality hand lapped barrels,and there is no way that a bore snake will ever touch the bore of any of my rifles as long as I own it.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
There is a very big difference between rifle barrels and shotgun barrels.
In a rifle barrel, the pressures are far greater, and you are swedging a copper projectile down a bore that is rifled, so you have grooves as well as lands to deposit copper, so you also have edges to wear.
In a shogun bore, the shot can compress and elongate as it is heading down the bore.
With no rifleing to add friction, there is far less stuff being deposited.
i's a bit more complicated that this, but that is the gist of it.....
Cat
which is why i added my last sentence......
Old 04-01-2008, 07:22 AM

cleaning your bbl is a religious experience.
it cant be hurried or sped up
it is about pushing patches thru until they are as clean as they went in.
use a quality dewey rod (or similiar) a jag, and cotton patches.
use the fluids/solvents of choice and be deliberate, it will take 20 minutes to clean a gun.

leave the stupid snake next to the aluminum three peice cleaning rods in walmart

other important cleaning tools include:
bore guide, chamber mop, variety of copper AND lead solvents, heavy grease for the lugs, lite oil for trigger/friction points.
a good stand to hold said rifle in place pointing downward is essential too!

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31