Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-30-2008, 09:23 PM

Default Wipeout cleaner

Anybody thought about using Wipeout but hasn't yet?

I've always got a can or two around, and most of my cleaning is done with Hoppes benchrest and Amzoil , but if I am going to really go to town on a rifle that needs to be cleaned this is how I do it.
First, spray in the Amzoil foaming engine tuner.
Let it sit for a few minutes, then patch it out using a boreguide and one piece rod with sufficient length so the handle doesn't ride up on the comb of the rifle.
This gets the powder fouling out , the idea being that the copper cutter is going to have a tough job anyway, no need to make it go through a bunch of powder fouling first.
Then I hit it with either CR10 or G96 copper cutter.
This is where a Stoney point bore guide shines.
The guide has a cutout in it so you can start the patch then put the oil on it without spilling it on the stock .

NOTE!! ALWAYS have a cloth on the stock and covers on the scope lenses!

I run a patch in , not too tight, and take it off when it comes out the muzzle.
I let the ammoia sit in there for 2-3 minutes, then patch it out and then run a patch of Kroil in the bore right away, than dry patch it out .
The reason for this is I don't want to leave that cleaner in there any more than a few minutes because of the ammonia in it.

NOW, I take the can of Wipout, and resting the rifle on its butt, stick my little finger in the breach and plug the chamber, spraying th Wipeout in the muzzle.
I give it a few shots, and you can here it when it gets to the chamber.

As soon as it gets into the chamber , STOP!
clean the excess for the breach right away, then rest the gun horizontally
(slightly muzzle down) in a cleaning rack, with a drip cloth or garbage can underneath the muzzle .
leave it for a few hours, then patch it out.
The patch will mor ehtan likely be bright blue, even if the patch after the Kroil was clean!

repeat the Wipeout treatment, and leave it overnight, patching out in the morning.
The barrel will usually show clean now, but sometimes it takes several treatments.
I did an Enfield match rifle that blackened the patches for about three treatments before it came blue, then clean.
This stuff works, it is simple, and won't hurt the bore if left overnight.
There are those of us that already know how to clean their rifles and have a routine down pat, but there are also many of us here that do not, and I hope this helps you out.

BTW, a three peice rod or bore snake is okay for the bush or hunting camp, but there is nothing better than a good one piece rod and bore guide.
IF there was , every benchrest and long range TR shooting champion in the World would use a different system, and I know of none that do.
They all use bore guides and one piece rods, be they brass, stainless, or coated metal of some type.

BTW, at the start of this thread, I stated that I usually use a different cleaner, and do.
I clean only with Amzoil after each shoot , and with Hoppes Bencrest if my groups start going to crap, other than that, I do not clean my rifles every 10, 20 , or any other number of rounds.
if it's still shooting well, I don't mess with it except to take out the powder fouling .
Others may have a slightly different system, this one works for me and mine.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 03-31-2008 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:40 AM

I've been using Wipeout for a while now. Seems to work good but it was always taking more treatments than expected to get things really clean. for example. People say that with one or maybe 2 treatments of wipeout, it'll clean the worst barrels. From a clean barrel, approx 10 or 12 rounds from a 300wby were taking approx 6 wipeout treatments.

I spoke with a guy at the gun show a few weeks ago and apparently the problem is that the barrel needs to be warmer. He suggested using a car battery blanket from Can Tire to keep it warm. I've just been leaving the gun in the basement which is about 20 or 21 degrees.

Looking forward to trying this new method after the next outting.

Also bought a bottle of "patch out" from the same makers of wipeout. Cant wait to give it a try.

Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building
Old 03-31-2008, 01:22 PM

Nice writeup. I love using the wipeout. Makes cleaning much easier!
Old 03-31-2008, 04:43 PM

Thanks Cat.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:24 PM

I'm a big fan of Wipeout as well and don't use anything else anymore because it's just to easy, doesn't smell harsh and isn't as nasty as all the other chemicals out there and most importantly it works very well.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:31 PM

Borescope says wipeout good...very good.