Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-29-2008, 05:42 PM

Default Early Barnes X Bullet Inconsistancies.........

Here is some of the problems Barnes had early on with copper hardness and expansion inconsistancies.When I talked to Randy Barnes he said they were working on it.This was in the early 90's and I havn't tried them since so in all fairness they may have ironed out the bugs by now.The expanded picture perfect one on the left went lengthways through a med sized 4X4 mulie buck breaking his tail and stopping in the chest skin resulting in a instant kill.[jumped out of a bed point blank "Texas Heart Shot"]The falure on the right behaved like a FMJ breaking both front shoulders on a previously wounded 6X7 mulie.I hit him 5X and he never lost his feet at 100-150 yards.Same performance on a WT buck and bighorn ewe same fall.No bloodtrail either.........................Just a comparison these were too hard and other bullets too soft..........................Harold
Old 03-29-2008, 05:53 PM

Ive seen some of the later ones do the same thing, but in all fairness I have also seen some cup and core bullets that were screwed up.
Let's face it, in the million or so bulets that get sold to us, there are going to be screw ups.....
Cat
Old 03-29-2008, 06:04 PM
stubblejumper

I have only recovered a few of the tsx bullets,but all expanded properly and retained all four petals.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:06 PM

I'm sure they found a way to fix the problem or they wouldn't still be selling bullets.You could likely reload the unexpanded one except for the bent nose section.This was only posted as an example.Seeing is believing...Harold
Old 03-30-2008, 07:57 PM

You're posting pictures and making observations about bullets that do not exist anymore.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
You're posting pictures and making observations about bullets that do not exist anymore.
Sure they do, heck i've got two boxes downstairs now.
Just because they are out of production doesn't mean they are not being used.
I'm sure people have thousands stashed away for their favorite hunting rifle.

I remember one fella from another fourm used to buy his by the thousand lot....
cat
Old 03-30-2008, 09:22 PM

Most people are still using guns that arn't made anymore either........It was shown for example only.Too hard verses too soft....................and reactions on game...................Harold
Old 03-31-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
I havn't tried them since so in all fairness they may have ironed out the bugs by now.
Apparently you're not using the stash then.

I'll state it again. The bullet you're referring to doesn't exist anymore. Buy Barnes. They work fine.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Apparently you're not using the stash then.

I'll state it again. The bullet you're referring to doesn't exist anymore. Buy Barnes. They work fine.
I think you are reading way too muxh into his origianl post ,Chuck.
Cat
Old 03-31-2008, 08:52 AM

TSX is a great bullet. You should try them. I have never heard of any bad comments about there accuracy or performance.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:41 PM

Like talking to a revolving door.God gave us two ears and one mouth. Better to listen twice as much as you speak...............................Harold
Old 03-31-2008, 07:54 PM

Default xcellent x bullet

I am a huge x bullet fan.
I shoot them exclusively in my 308 for fifteen years or more..
Everything I have ever shot took 1 shot and dropped
on the spot or went 50 yards or less.
The only time a bullet didn't completely expand is when it hit a willow first
and entered completely sideways. It still killed the deer in 1 shot
and it ended up in the hide on the other side.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:01 PM

Randy Brooks could sell ice to Eskimoes. Up until this latest X bullet came out all I ever saw from these recycled pennies was fouled barrels, poor groups, and fairly shot animals that reacted as if hit with a .22 lr. His Barnes copper remover is foul and does not clean as well as Remclean or JB compound.

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, I am hearing reports from guys that can actually shoot that they are getting good groups. Barnes knows how to anneal now and they are not so damned hard. Thus they will open up. They are expensive and for the average deer or moose hunter Core-Lokts are more than enough. As for using a 6mm instead of a .270 on a 350 pound buck, or a 30:06, in 180 grains on a 800 pound bull elk, I will stick to the old fashioned stuff. It has been my experience with X bullets that when they fail, they do so in spectacular fashion.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Like talking to a revolving door.God gave us two ears and one mouth. Better to listen twice as much as you speak...............................Harold
I hope you were not reffering to me.
Cat