Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-26-2008, 12:45 AM

Default Springfield M1 Okay to Hunt with??????

Ok Guys,
My buddies think it is unethical to hunt with my new Springfield M1A. I have probably had more fun with this gun than any other gun. I bought it for range shooting and pounding the odd gopher in pasture. My Question is, if I wanted to hunt deer with this gun after I figure it out and get confident with it, Is this gun ethical by your standards as long as I am highly accurate with it? Also ,do you think this gun will be banned in the near future? One of my favs out of any gun. Very reliable auto loader!
Old 03-26-2008, 04:29 AM

Giver'man.......hopefully you run into a pack of wolves

If it isn't illegal and it doesn't make YOU drop your head or lose sleep.....have at er'. I'm sure there's a few guys out there that think it's unethical to use a rifle at all!!!

tm
Old 03-26-2008, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudkid View Post
Ok Guys,
My buddies think it is unethical to hunt with my new Springfield M1A. I have probably had more fun with this gun than any other gun. I bought it for range shooting and pounding the odd gopher in pasture. My Question is, if I wanted to hunt deer with this gun after I figure it out and get confident with it, Is this gun ethical by your standards as long as I am highly accurate with it? Also ,do you think this gun will be banned in the near future? One of my favs out of any gun. Very reliable auto loader!
"Ethics" is one of those buzz words that is over used, misunderstodd, and generally bandied around by people who don't have a clue of what they are saying.
If you only use one shot, how could it be unethical?
What is good for one may seem "wrong " to another, but the other person liley doesn't have a sound arguement, especially when it comes to using a particular type of firearm....
Cat
Old 03-26-2008, 06:33 AM

Tell them they can't use their Rem 742 either cause it's a semi too.BS! Stick a 5rd mag in and away you go!These people that think you shouldn't hunt with military type weapons.A flintlock was a state of the art military gun at one time [Oh yes ]and the untold number of 10 shot BA .303's.......Harold *I was going to hunt with my FNFAL before the Fed's made e'm prohibited.

Last edited by Pioneer2; 03-26-2008 at 06:34 AM. Reason: error
Old 03-26-2008, 07:23 AM

Isn't the M1A restricted though?

I seem to recall some posts from the battle rifle guys over on Gunnutz scratching their heads because the weiners at the gun registry put the M1A on the restricted list, while the Norinco M14 clone was left off for some stupid reason.

Any rifle can be used ethically or unethically in the field and has nothing to do with ammo capacity or action type. This is just another wedge the liberals are trying to jam between gun owners, IMO.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty P. Bucket View Post
Isn't the M1A restricted though?

I seem to recall some posts from the battle rifle guys over on Gunnutz scratching their heads because the weiners at the gun registry put the M1A on the restricted list, while the Norinco M14 clone was left off for some stupid reason.

Any rifle can be used ethically or unethically in the field and has nothing to do with ammo capacity or action type. This is just another wedge the liberals are trying to jam between gun owners, IMO.
He could very well be talking about an M14 methinks....
Cat
Old 03-26-2008, 08:09 PM

Default M1a

M1A is not restricted and totally legal with a 5 shot clip, which is all you can get in Canada.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:27 PM

Not only legal but reliable and accurate. The reliability and short to mid-range accuracy has kept this rifle in US military service. Some riflemen in each section are given the basic, iron sights model, unofficially termed "Bunker-Buster" for penetration on the mud hut dwellers. Also issued with a low magnification battle sight or fully decked out as the M-21 sniper weapon.

RE: Ethics - only you can determine whether or not you can make a clean kill with your rifle. I pounded a few rounds with Remington's auto loaders and was thoroughly disappointed with the results. The Springfield is capable of much greater performance, especially if combined with good ammo and time on the range.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:53 PM

My friend has one all decked out and shoots it a lot. I seen him take 3 deer last year all from 150 yards out to 300 yards if you practice with it and can shoot it well go for it I may just buy one for plinking with .
Old 03-29-2008, 08:39 AM

Default Ethical

Catnthehat hit it on the head with the buzz word comment!

Main Entry: eth·i·cal
Pronunciation: 'e-thi-k&l
Function: adjective
1 : of or relating to ethics
2 : conforming to accepted professional standards of conduct —eth·i·cal·ly adverb

You have not stated what your buddies objection to the M1A is, other than it is not "ethical".

Without that most of the posters here are focusing on the legalities of using the firearm.

What is their objection? That it is a semi-auto, that it is a military type firearm, or what?

To me you are "conforming to accepted professional standards of conduct" because the only standards we as hunters seem to defer to is the "fair chase rules" when discussing ethics and you seem to be conforming to those in your choice of hunting implement.

A good friend of mine has taken his Garand on deer hunts and as long he uses expanding ammuntion there is no issue. So I don't see where your M1A would be an issue.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:40 PM

1. Its a semi auto .308, how is that any differant from say a Rem 7400?

2. Its a very accurite rifle.

3. You need new friends.

4. Go hunt.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:24 PM

Default Springfield M1A

It's no different than any other semi auto. I'm into collecting guns and appreciate all of your thoughts. Not looking to spray lead at anything that moves If I'm comfortable taking a shot at a deer then shot one will do. Thankyou for everyones input.

My buddies can go jump in a lake!