Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-22-2008, 08:24 AM

Default over under, who has what?????

Will be looking for a new over under soon, just curious what everyone likes to shoot?
Old 03-22-2008, 08:38 AM

I shoot a Winchester 101 Just bought a Yildiz Made in Turkey like many others light fast balance that reminds me of the Ruger Red lable and the Franchi much less cost seems people that have them like them will see. What it comes down to is CASH how much you willing to part with. Remington has a beauty at 2400 as good as any!

Last edited by Donny Bear; 03-22-2008 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Bad Spelling
Old 03-22-2008, 08:38 AM

I've had a Browning Citori 12 ga. with 26 inch barrels choked improved cylinder and modified (3 inch chambers), neutral cast that I've had for 30 years which has done a good job on ducks, geese and upland game.

Recently made the switch to Brownings' Cynergy field offerings in 12 and 20 ga. as I wanted something lighter, yet with less perceived recoil than the Citori. I've had faster lock times with the two Cynergies as compared to the Citori and no problems with failure to fire to date. Price wise, I've seen them as low as $1700 NIB. Note that you get an extra $500 worth of stuff if you buy a Cynergy shotgun ( hard case, soft case, range bag, baseball cap and $100 cheque)

As for others, I couldn't say, but if you belong to the Fort Mac F&G shooting range, check with catinthehat and other Fort Mac members of this board to see if you could check out the other makes of O/U shotguns available that they have.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:54 AM

John, you made a good choice. the cynergy is a beautiful gun and quick. i shot on last year at the range that belong to some guy. i wish i could have one. i like the caesar guerini o/u.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:24 AM
Banned

The ceasar guerini is a beautiful gun. Wish I had one.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Spartan View Post

As for others, I couldn't say, but if you belong to the Fort Mac F&G shooting range, check with catinthehat and other Fort Mac members of this board to see if you could check out the other makes of O/U shotguns available that they have.
Manitoban and I have been out several times to crush some skeet clays, and I'm not sure if he is more confused now than he was before!!
Haven't even shown him the Gamba yet, or the Falconet, but we have had some good fun the the Tikka in 12 and 28, and he saw the Franchi I just recently sold ( still wondering if THAT was brainfart!! ) and the Ruger red label.
Still waithing on my Rizzinis to get here, THEN we'll do some shootin'!!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 03-23-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedy View Post
John, you made a good choice. the cynergy is a beautiful gun and quick. i shot on last year at the range that belong to some guy. i wish i could have one. i like the caesar guerini o/u.
I checked out the Caesar Guerinis at Dave Henry's establishment. Very nice guns, but just didn't fit me and I didn't feel like having major stock fitting done to get it right. Both Cynergies fit me perfectly the first time around. Even tried the 525s, but just didn't feel right. Being a lefty made the process even more interesting.

It would be nice to have an Alberta gunshop available that determines what stock dimensions fit you perfectly and then show you the best O/U candidates for purchase; failing that, they should be able to do a custom stock to meet your requirements.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:49 PM

Had a Stoeger Condor in 12 gauge but wanted somthing lighter. I am looking at a Mossberg Silver Reserve but would really like a Ceasar Guerini in 20.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:54 PM

on the way i have a yildiz spz me.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:52 PM

Default Fabarm

I would say it all depends on what you have for a budget.
Mine was under $2K at the time.
I chose the Fabarm Alpha Field. I looked at a lot of guns about three years ago.
This one fit nice in function and price. Every time I use it I comment on how happy I am with it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
I am thinking about one of those Yildiz in SXS 20 for my wife. There about half what my gun was.

Last edited by Twisty; 03-22-2008 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:04 PM

Citori 12 ga 26 in brl(which is up for sale). and ruger red. in 20(by far one of the nicest feeling gun and shooting, next to the citori that is), and an old russian 12 ga which was my uncles when he was a kid, the thing is like 30-40 years old and still shoots great
Old 03-22-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
I would say it all depends on what you have for a budget.
Mine was under $2K at the time.
I chose the Fabarm Alpha Field. I looked at alot of guns about three years ago.
This one fit nice in function and price. Every time I use it I comment on how happy I am with it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
I am thinking about one of those Yildaz in SXS 20 for my wife. There about half what my gun was.

my brothers and i just bought one of those for my father....decent gun for a great price i think...
Old 03-22-2008, 05:21 PM

I think you can get a better gun for the same price. The Yildiz are bad for scratching because its a softer metal used where the gun breaks.

I would look at a CZ same price and a better quality gun.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:32 PM

I have a 12 and a 20 guage Fausti Stefano O/U. They both fit me well and have been well used for the last several years.
My 20 guaga came with a set of 410 barrels and I can swap out for the 20's although truthfully I have only used them once thus far.

Mav.....
Old 03-22-2008, 06:26 PM

Mav is that an Italian Gun?
Old 03-22-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanGSP View Post
I think you can get a better gun for the same price. The Yildiz are bad for scratching because its a softer metal used where the gun breaks.

my brother has had his for years...no scratching at all....
Old 03-22-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Ryan do you have a Yildiz?
Old 03-22-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:

The CZ Red Head was my choice but I changed maybe my mistake but price differs by 250 even with ejectors without I was 324.00 less and the Y gun sets and swings nicer only time will tell.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I beleive they are Ryan, though I'm only going by the name, Ii personally have no experiance with them.
Cat
Old 03-22-2008, 07:29 PM

Yes, they are made in Italy.

Quote:
Old 03-23-2008, 02:19 AM

Nope I dont have a Yildiz for that exact reason. I talked to the guy at the gunshow in lethbridge lastyear and he said the same thing. Unless they are kept very clean they start to scratch on the inside where the barrel connects to the action??(if this is what it is called) it is a softer metal I am not sure on the type I was once told Aluminum but am not sure if that true.

Like I said for the same price you can get a better gun than a Yildiz. Buy used if you have to or buy a CZ or even a Dehaan.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:15 AM

Cat is right, the more I look into it the more confused I get. The Ruger Red Label felt really awkward and heavy. Even more than my X2.

That Franchi is a beautiful gun, yet was to small and didnt fit well ( 20 gauge ), maybe the 12 would be better

The Tikka was good but maybe needs a little more length in the stock.

I have noticed that the Franci Reniassance and Rizzini look like they would fit well.

Those Rizzinis must be getting here soon, eh Cat,
Old 03-23-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitoban View Post
Cat is right, the more I look into it the more confused I get. The Ruger Red Label felt really awkward and heavy. Even more than my X2.

That Franchi is a beautiful gun, yet was to small and didnt fit well ( 20 gauge ), maybe the 12 would be better

The Tikka was good but maybe needs a little more length in the stock.

I have noticed that the Franci Reniassance and Rizzini look like they would fit well.

Those Rizzinis must be getting here soon, eh Cat,
not soon enough!
Will had a 16 guage at the Calgary show ( his own, not for sale!) and was getting a lot of compliments on it.
he told me the other day that they should be in his hands shortly.
In the mmeantime, there is other stuff to play with - mainly loading tools!
I had a mess of shot and wads brought up from the show, and will start crankning more stuff out for the big guns - 1oz loads for skeet and chickens.

Loaded about 600 3/4 oz. rounds the other day for the 28 also, and 100 of the 20.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 03-23-2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:47 AM

depends on where you get your yildiz i guess...that redhead is a nice gun....no doubt. but my Y gun...brand new was 385 bucks...the rehead sells for over a grand at wholesale......you would have to get a very roughed up used one to equal that price. i am a little wary od the alluminum.....but i take care of my gear so i am not too up in arms about it.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
depends on where you get your yildiz i guess...that redhead is a nice gun....no doubt. but my Y gun...brand new was 385 bucks...the rehead sells for over a grand at wholesale......you would have to get a very roughed up used one to equal that price. i am a little wary od the alluminum.....but i take care of my gear so i am not too up in arms about it.
$385!!
Wow, that's a heckuva price for any O/U!!
Where did you you it for that?
Cat
Old 03-23-2008, 01:55 PM

Default Opinions huh?

I am looking into the Yildiz and in spite of what one or to opinions may say the more I check it out the happier I think I will be no real evidence to support claims of a soft action and the 2 year warranty is better than most 1 year warranty's Thes guns feel good and I will tell you if I am happy. I will put 500 through this next 10 days and then get the SXS if I am happy also in the 20ga. Nothing will replace my 101 but these may let her rest a little more often.

Check out the wood on this at 675.00 not to bad!
Old 03-23-2008, 03:18 PM

Ya I am curious where did you buy that Clash any time I have seen them they are a 4 digit price tag.

Donny where did you end up buying that gun?

Last edited by Versatile; 03-23-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:54 PM

Default Browning Citori XT Trap

w/ adjustable cheek.... Have always wanted to try a cynergy tho...........

just havent had a chance........
Old 03-23-2008, 04:24 PM
stubblejumper

I am on my second citori skeet.They fit me perfectly which makes all the difference.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:41 PM

Armsport Model 2700 Goose Gun. Big, had to add 1 1/2 lbs to it to make it shootable, added a Decelerator and now she's a thing of beauty. Hair under 10 lbs of goose nightmare. 3 1/2" 10 ga, 32" F/F chokes, which are actually closer to a modified. Swings beautifully and I'm the cleanup man on the bird shoots and sure do love my job