Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-05-2011, 08:30 PM

Default >303 british churchhill arms?

I traded for a near mint .303 british sporter, thing is pure shooter had it too under an inch in twelve shots with a bushnell banner scope! my question is the barrell and but plate have churchhill arms stamped on them. The barrell is 22" and is also glass bedded. the 5 round magsits flush on the bottom. It is a no 4 mk 1 rifle! I was wondering if the barrell was swapped out when it was sporterized! i traded 2 old simmons aetec scopes for it and I think I did all right! any help would be appreciated!
Old 08-05-2011, 08:33 PM

Pics?
Many of the Enfields were in fact re- barreled, but many were simply cut and re- contoured.
Check the proofs on the barrel and the trigger band and take some pics of those as well.
however, with a group like that I would not care if it were made of sewer pipe, it's a shooter!!

Cat
Old 08-05-2011, 08:48 PM

My wife dropped the goddamn camera on holidays! But the only markings on the barrell have matching serial # and churchhill gunmakers england and there crest! I have several .303's and this barrell takes bluing a little better than the rest! Also what year do you think this would have been done! I was thinking mid 50's!
Old 08-05-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotwade View Post
My wife dropped the goddamn camera on holidays! But the only markings on the barrell have matching serial # and churchhill gunmakers england and there crest! I have several .303's and this barrell takes bluing a little better than the rest! Also what year do you think this would have been done! I was thinking mid 50's!
Any markings on the side of the receiver or the or the trigger band?
Cat
Old 08-05-2011, 08:58 PM

The serial# has cb before and A after! both on the reciver and trigger guard the barrell just has the serial # !
Old 08-05-2011, 10:05 PM

A lot of these were done in the 60's by Churchill, BSA, Midland, Parker Hale etc. Sometimes the original barrels were cut and ramp sights were added along with a hooded sight. Some were rebarreled and bedded to fit the new stocks, Bishop made a lot of the Monte Carlo type stocks for various gunmakers in England. The flush fitting mags usually work very well as they were fitted to each rifle. You can pick up a ten round mag for hunting and keep the 5 shot for the range. I think you did good by trading a couple of cheap scopes for it.
The grand ole 303 is very close to the 308, so don't be scared of using it in the field. Remember, your ole Enfield will still be working at 40 below when most of the fancy guns are froze stiff.
180 grain bullets offer "more thump" as my uncle who served in Korea would say.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:50 PM

Sile of Italy made stocks for the PH sporters I have one with a #0 bolthead...........Way better than BUBBA'S hacksaw job...........Harold