Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-22-2020, 10:02 PM

Default Turkey/goose gun

I’m a bow hunter of big game... rarely even go out with a rifle, but when i do, i never pull the trigger. It’s more of a camaraderie thing than anything else... I have my grandpas OLD 12 gauge pump but haven’t fired it since the 90’s - i don’t think i would be able to take it out in the field again out of worry I’d beat and scratch it all up. I know next to nothing about shotguns.
So school me. A neighbour of mine has been bugging me for years to go out on his goose hunts with him, and we have a property in Montana that’s covered up with turkeys (OTC tags down there). I’d like to get an autoloading gun for both.
Since I’m a newbie at it, i don’t want to go throw down a TON of cash on something that i might not be into - so can anyone recommend the best auto loader for $1000-$1200? If i love it, i can always upgrade later.

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2020, 01:32 AM

Highly recommend the Franchi Affinity 3 or 3.5. Italian built. Virtual dead ringer for the Benelly M2. Inertia driven. Very light. Very quick on target. Available in black or Real Tree.

I don't subscribe to 3.5" being a necessity for Turkey, (some will advise differently) and it sure isn't a prerequisite for geese. Especially over dekes.

3" can be found used in the 750-850 range. Add some for the 3.5. Both new right in the price range you mention.

I had a very nice Beretta Xtrema that shot lights out, gas action vs Benelli/Franchi inertia, and I'd have been hard pressed to pick which I liked better. That Beretta went to the friend of a fine gentleman here on AO and it damn near killed me to do it but I used the Franchi more.

A couple of shotgun factoids for you. Beretta, Benelli, and Franchi don't make a bad one, and you'll start a war asking Beretta and Benelli owners whose is better. Beretta owns Franchi and Benelli Holdings US but Benelli makes the call on what Franchi models hit the North American market. Gas vs Inertia will get em going too. Both have their advantages.

Buy an Italian name and you won't ever have a reason to upgrade. Buy a North American brand and the upgrade is Italian. Buy once, Cry once.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:54 AM

^^ This x100..... Worst case ontario, resale on a Benelli/Franchi or Beretta is a lot easier than a used Versamax.

For reference, I was able to find a used Benelli SBE I in excellent condition at a local store 5-6 years ago for $800.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:24 AM

Beratta A300 pretty much fills the bill in your price range for turkeys and geese, get a cheap turkey choke in around the .665 range for turkey and test it out, I used Undertakers in a 870 and a Mossberg 500, good to 50 yds with WW supreme 3" #6. Works well with 3" #2 and BB for geese and the mod choke for snows, the #3 choke for ducks and geese in a bit closer.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Highly recommend the Franchi Affinity 3 or 3.5. Italian built. Virtual dead ringer for the Benelly M2. Inertia driven. Very light. Very quick on target. Available in black or Real Tree.

I don't subscribe to 3.5" being a necessity for Turkey, (some will advise differently) and it sure isn't a prerequisite for geese. Especially over dekes.

3" can be found used in the 750-850 range. Add some for the 3.5. Both new right in the price range you mention.

I had a very nice Beretta Xtrema that shot lights out, gas action vs Benelli/Franchi inertia, and I'd have been hard pressed to pick which I liked better. That Beretta went to the friend of a fine gentleman here on AO and it damn near killed me to do it but I used the Franchi more.

A couple of shotgun factoids for you. Beretta, Benelli, and Franchi don't make a bad one, and you'll start a war asking Beretta and Benelli owners whose is better. Beretta owns Franchi and Benelli Holdings US but Benelli makes the call on what Franchi models hit the North American market. Gas vs Inertia will get em going too. Both have their advantages.

Buy an Italian name and you won't ever have a reason to upgrade. Buy a North American brand and the upgrade is Italian. Buy once, Cry once.
This right here is about all anyone needs to know ^^^
Old 03-23-2020, 10:00 AM

For geese, you want a shotgun that fits you. Research shotgun fit, and go from there. Some good lower priced semi autos are the Franchi, the Beretta A300/350, the Winchester SX-3/4, and the Browning Silver. The biggest difference between the Browning/Winchester, and the Italian shotguns in the same price range, is that they fit much differently. If the Browning/Winchester fits you, the Beretta/Franchi won't, and vice versa.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:11 PM

Shotgun is very different than a rifle. For wing shooting it is all about the fit. Best way to try a bunch of different ones is to go to a sporting clay club that has rental or loaner shotguns. Try everything they have over a couple of sessions. One of them will fit you far better than the others. Buy the one that fits regardless of brand. Any of the name brand guns will last a lifetime under even heavy use.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:04 PM

Now I'm not a shotgun guy but I was surprised no one mentioned stoeger. aren't stoegers just benellis in a cheaper suit? And wouldn't they meet the need?
educate me
Old 03-23-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
Now I'm not a shotgun guy but I was surprised no one mentioned stoeger. aren't stoegers just benellis in a cheaper suit? And wouldn't they meet the need?
educate me
Stoeger is owned by Benelli, but no, the Stoeger is not just a no frills Benelli. They are of a similar design, with some similar parts, but they are not the same, or of the same quality.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Stoeger is owned by Benelli, but no, the Stoeger is not just a no frills Benelli. They are of a similar design, with some similar parts, but they are not the same, or of the same quality.
Have owned both and can concur. My Stoeger was much more fussy when it came to ammo. Can't go wrong with an Italian shotgun.