Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-22-2020, 12:24 PM

Default Longbranch Experts - Help Please

I have a No4 Mk1*, Longbranch, 1944 that I bought when I was a 13. I always had it around, fired it once in a while, but never learned anything about it. I have been ripping through a variety of online tools to identify it but have not had much luck.

The rifle is in original condition, no apparent modifications. I am guessing it is of Canadian manufacture as it is missing many of the identifiers typically found on Brit and Australian rifles. Aside from the above mentioned receiver marks, and on the same side, scribed onto the metal grip behind the trigger guard is 80L 140o. The only other external marking is the numeral 3, punched into the left side of the butt. something appears to have been painted on the same left side of the butt however those markings were removed before I got my hands on it.

Not looking for appraisals for sales. I plan on keeping the rifle. Can anyone help in telling me something of the rifle's history. I can send pics but will need an email or cell number.

Cheers.
Old 03-22-2020, 04:40 PM

If it is stamped Longbranch is certainly is Canadian made!
Cat
Old 03-22-2020, 04:47 PM

The 80Lxxx is the serial number. The L stands for Longbranch. Under the rear handguard on top of the barrel and on the sides, is where you will find a lot of markings. I will shoot you my e-mail and will try and help you out.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehunter View Post
The 80Lxxx is the serial number. The L stands for Longbranch. Under the rear handguard on top of the barrel and on the sides, is where you will find a lot of markings. I will shoot you my e-mail and will try and help you out.
With the Canadian Version of the FAL, that first number would be the year of manufacture, but can't see that being the case here.

Grizz
Old 03-23-2020, 03:50 PM

I have several members all sending me PMs so I believe I will learn something and have enough assistance. Thank you to all that offered assistance.

Cheers.

rbw