Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-26-2008, 10:07 PM

Default Levergun gunsmith needed

Evening folks,
I'm in serious need of a GOOD gunsmith who works on leverguns, Marlin in particular and is preferably located in Alberta.
I have a Marlin 1894 44 Mag I bought NIB and have fired a total of 22 rounds through.
It chambers and fires the first shot OK, lever is a bit stiff but the gun is new. Successive shots become increasingly difficult to work the lever and extract the empty case while chambering the next round. After 7 shots today, I was virtually unable to work the action and was actually concerned I may have to transport a loaded rifle home. Fortunately, I was able to crank the lever open to unload. I am using Winchester 240 gr factory jacketed soft point factory loads. I had it into the shop (no names/no pack drill while I sort this out)where it was purchased, was told after the gun was checked by the 'smith that it was ok, must be my ammo. Have tried different lots and a different brand of ammo (Fusion) today, same results. It is most certainly a mechanical issue with the rifle. I don't think it is the infamous Marlin Jam but.....
Have spoken with Marlin and they recommended sending to warranty shop but none in AB. If possible though, I would prefer to keep it here in AB and pay for the work if the shop is good. This is to be my camping/fishing companion so reliability is paramount.
Thanks.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:13 PM

After you have fired it a few times is it hard to work with and without a cartridge in it?

PM sent on gunsmith
Old 03-26-2008, 10:34 PM

Lever is stiff with and without cartridge.
Thanks.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:11 PM

Might want to try Dave Henry out at Bentley (D.Henry Gunmakers)
Old 03-27-2008, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Spartan View Post
Might want to try Dave Henry out at Bentley (D.Henry Gunmakers)
Thanks, thats a good idea. Couple in mind here now. Should be able to sort this out.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:29 AM

I would try some less powerfull ammo. I had a 444 that would get real hard to eject when I kept adding more powder to the reloads. It would get almost impossible to pull the lever down after a shot. I think those straight walled cases expand into the chamber so tight that the lever system can't pull the empty out of the chamber very readily. Your gun may have an extra tight chamber as well?
A lot of Cowboy shooters love your gun. Most of them strip it down and polish up all the inner bearing surfaces, lighten the trigger spring, change the firing pin out and change to a short stroke kit. This will make the action very smooth and fast.
Good luck with it,
Old 03-27-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Eldon View Post
I would try some less powerfull ammo. I had a 444 that would get real hard to eject when I kept adding more powder to the reloads. It would get almost impossible to pull the lever down after a shot. I think those straight walled cases expand into the chamber so tight that the lever system can't pull the empty out of the chamber very readily. Your gun may have an extra tight chamber as well?
A lot of Cowboy shooters love your gun. Most of them strip it down and polish up all the inner bearing surfaces, lighten the trigger spring, change the firing pin out and change to a short stroke kit. This will make the action very smooth and fast.
Good luck with it,
I wish it were that simple. Actually, I had planned on doing a few of those things later.
I'm shooting factory loads from Winchester and Fusion (Federal), the lever is stiff with and without a cartridge in the chamber. Was looking it over again this AM and noticed that virtually every external screw on the action was loose. Tightened them up with Brownells Magna-tip driver blades for Marlin lever and the head stripped off the Loading Gate screw!!
I've gone from frustrated to pizzed off now.
Anyway thanks for the suggestions ref polishing etc. Future project if I keep this gun. Gotta get it working correctly and then build some trust into it.
Gotta go start making some calls now. Thanks again.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:50 AM

Here is a link to polishing and making the action smoother but it sounds like yours has bigger problems...

http://marauder.homestead.com/rifles.html
Old 03-31-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck44 View Post
Here is a link to polishing and making the action smoother but it sounds like yours has bigger problems...

http://marauder.homestead.com/rifles.html
Thanks for the link. Good stuff there.
I'm waiting to hear from the shop it went to. Decided, as it is new/warrantied, I should send it to a Marlin recommended shop much as I wanted to keep it here in AB, there isn't a Marlin service centre in AB.
It seems to have serious issues, hope Marlin will make things right as I planned on using this gun as my camp/fishing companion. I'm fairly certain they will. Good company.