Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-24-2008, 10:05 AM

Default New Rifle Horror Stories

In November I purchased a model 700 VS SFII in 22-250. Brought it home and noticed chamber was small. They had the wrong friggin stamping on barrel. Turned out the mixed a 223 rifle in with the 250 and stamped it.

So ticked headed back and took then next box cause they said they couldnt do anything about it. Get home open box, and find studs pounded into stock, chamber is scuffed and tarnished, not what you expect when you are getting a manufacturers high end piece.

Lesson learned, if you think you want a custom gun, DONT BUY IT OVER THE COUNTER.

The gun groups well and action is nice

Funny thing is Remington has not answered any emails back in the past months.

I guess they are americas gun maker not canadas
Old 03-24-2008, 10:16 AM

Big Green of today sure is'nt the Big Green of 5 years or more ago.
I'm reaching here, but it seems all of Remington's troubles seemed to start shortly after they screwed with their employees pension fund. hmmmm.

I've over the years seen imporperly tapped, and aligned scope mount holes on a couple of diffrent brands of rifle, seen botched chambers, screwed crowns and buggered bolt handle welds/brazing on other models.
Then there is the up and down QC issues with Kimber rifles, that has got to be one of the most mind numbing things I've ever had the dispeasure of reading about.

So ya it happens, and ya most gun buyers either live with it or just get em fixed.

Kinda like buying a new automobile..

There are no absolutes
Old 03-24-2008, 10:45 AM

I guy doesnt feel so bad when he scratches his stock while hes dragging out a nice buck, or scuffs up the scope . But when its new and you are not the source of the dings it is tougher to swallow.

All those scratches are where you wonder off remembering how they got there and remind you to get your butt back in the woods
Old 03-24-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitoban View Post
In November I purchased a model 700 VS SFII in 22-250. Brought it home and noticed chamber was small. They had the wrong friggin stamping on barrel. Turned out the mixed a 223 rifle in with the 250 and stamped it.

So ticked headed back and took then next box cause they said they couldnt do anything about it. Get home open box, and find studs pounded into stock, chamber is scuffed and tarnished, not what you expect when you are getting a manufacturers high end piece.

Lesson learned, if you think you want a custom gun, DONT BUY IT OVER THE COUNTER.

The gun groups well and action is nice

Funny thing is Remington has not answered any emails back in the past months.

I guess they are americas gun maker not canadas
That simply sucks!No wonder I rarely buy a new rifle!
Cat
Old 03-24-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitoban View Post
Brought it home and noticed chamber was small. They had the wrong friggin stamping on barrel. Turned out the mixed a 223 rifle in with the 250 and stamped it.
Unreal and unacceptable.....

Really makes a guy feel good about the quality control there don't it?
Old 03-26-2008, 07:43 PM

??????????? question for ya ???
who and where did you get these guns from???
and after the second one be a f@#$ up
why didnt you check out the second gun and if it wuz thatbaly dinged up why didyou take it and why didnt they offer a discount on a damaged gun ???
i dont beleive id be buying from them again
Old 03-26-2008, 08:15 PM

The dealer should be looking after you and taking up the matter directly with Remington on your behalf.

I had an issue with a Remington product, but have had no response after leaving several phone messages on the customer service line.

As much as I like Remington products, their customer service sucks.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:36 PM

That's freakin unbelieveable!!!!!no wonder I never liked rem too much !!
Old 03-26-2008, 11:08 PM

[QUOTE=Dick284;127235]Big Green of today sure is'nt the Big Green of 5 years or more ago.
I'm reaching here, but it seems all of Remington's troubles seemed to start shortly after they screwed with their employees pension fund. hmmmm.

Wow, sounds real mature!!
Kind of like ****ing in a customers gas tank if you are mad at ESSO.
What does that get you. The company looses sales and it further exclates the problem. Sales drop, company looses $$, more company cutbacks , more ****ed employees, more irriated customers, sales drop. Next thing you know here are layoffs and the company closes the doors. Employees are locked out and out of a job on the dole and ****ed at management for screwing them over.

Next year the former execs start up a new company with the patents that they have in place and sell products under another brand. Hire all new staff ( usually non union) and get their customer base built back up again.
Customer is happy again and sales climb making the new investors $$ and new employees happy to have a good job and maybe better benifits.

Moral of this story...Keep the customer happy and buying the products you make, deal with managenment in a better way, don't bite the hand that feeds you and you will have a job.
My 2 cents
Phil
Old 03-27-2008, 09:04 AM

Flipper:
You make it sound as if it is souly the employees fault , but I feel the management has a equal part to play, and that's if there is any truth to the timing of the events as they are presented. Perhaps, management at Big Green is souly to blame cause if Remington is so hard pressed they had to screw their employees out of their pensions, maybe the QC side of the manufacturing process is totally running on bare bones, which would explain why such QC issues are now raising their ugly heads.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-27-2008, 01:07 PM

Yeah, I kinda laid it on the employees a bit hard, where all should take a share of the blame.
You can choose to win as a team or loose as a team. Either way its the customer that gets the short end when we spend our receration dollars for a product that we once had alot of confidence in. I agree that the "Big Green" has slipped a little over the past several years and QC needs to tighten up and get back on track or they will loose more of their following. Perhaps the Remington is getting too big and needs to make sure they don't loose focus and keep everyone alittle happier.

Tika and Savage can turn great, accurate rifles for a reasonable price, they stand to gain where others have slipped a bit

Last of my other 2 cents

Regards
Phil
Old 03-27-2008, 05:20 PM

As a few may remember, I purchased a new Sako Finnlight Model 85 in .300WSM
last year before the season. After much screwing around with a couple hundred various factory and handloads to find something to group, I discovered that the barrel was loose on the receiver, causing the shotgun groups. I brought it back to my dealer, who chewed on Sako and managed to get a new gun to replace it (still haven't had time to shoot the new one ) Sure hope it performs as good as it feels.....this time .
Old 03-27-2008, 05:29 PM
willy11

Where did you buy the guns? I've had 2 occassions with WSS where I "thought" I was purchasing new guns. Upon inspection at home after the first purchase, I noticed the barrel was quite fowled, and after running a cleaning patch through it, the rifle had undeniably been shot. Turns out the rifle was bought new before me, shot, returned and then placed back on the shelf as new. The other incident occurred at the same store. But before I even bought the gun, I took a good look at 'er. The same thing was going on. It was a used gun alright, but listed as new in their computer. The Saskatoon store was notorious for this. I guess one employee there liked to take the guns out and shoot them, then take them back. Sort of like a test drive.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:32 PM
gitrdun

ManitobaMan, I can truly sympathize with your dilema, but doesn't it make sense to thoroughly check out the product that you're buying while still in the store and avoid unpleasant surprises? When I've purchased a new firearm from the store, I have them bring out their stock and inspect them to pick which one I want to take home. Russel's in Calgary has never shown displeasure in accomodating my needs. I purchase a box of said caliber and the minute I get home, after a thorough cleaning, I go to the range and fire some rounds out of it. That way, if there were problems, I could return it within a day or two and not face any questions? Just my two bits, hope it helps.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:35 PM
gitrdun

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy11 View Post
Where did you buy the guns? I've had 2 occassions with WSS where I "thought" I was purchasing new guns. Upon inspection at home after the first purchase, I noticed the barrel was quite fowled, and after running a cleaning patch through it, the rifle had undeniably been shot. Turns out the rifle was bought new before me, shot, returned and then placed back on the shelf as new. The other incident occurred at the same store. But before I even bought the gun, I took a good look at 'er. The same thing was going on. It was a used gun alright, but listed as new in their computer. The Saskatoon store was notorious for this. I guess one employee there liked to take the guns out and shoot them, then take them back. Sort of like a test drive.
Willy, it's not uncommon to see powder residue in a new firearm. It maybe caused by factory firing to ensure accuracy, such as that of a Sako or Tikka. Some of that stuff you're cleaning may also be residue from cutting the riflings. Goes a long way towards supporting the fact that you should always clean your firearm before you fire it.