Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-25-2008, 11:05 PM

Default Just want thoughts on new Springfield M1

Okay Guys,
Just bought a new Springfield M1 just for the love of having a new rifle for fun. Buddies are saying what the heck are you thinking? I don't give a rat's A#$ what they think! It is the most fun I have had in 3 years at the range and mabey the odd time whacking gophers in the last 2 weeks. Anyone one else have a similar rifle for good times or for just plain old collecting cool guns. Am I the only one who appreciates historical rifles that can still be used? What are your thoughts about hunting with this gun if you practice like I have been? Is it unethical to hunt with a military gun if you practicse a whole lot? I don't think so. What are your thoughts and will the M1 be banned any time soon?
Old 03-26-2008, 07:09 PM

The only thing more fun than shooting semi-auto, is full auto. Never had the urge to hunt with mine, too damn heavy, but they do make 5 round clips, for hunting Also it's one of those exemptions from the 5 round magazine capacity rule, besides the Lee Enfield. Just saw your other thread and am a little confused. I assume we are talking about the M 1 Garand type rifle here as opposed to the M14 clone.
Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 03-26-2008 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:27 AM

Default Thanks guys

just wanted a bit of input
Old 03-27-2008, 08:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
just wanted a bit of input
Well the lack of input speaks volumes.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:14 AM

I have a Breda manufactured M1, Best $187.00 I ever spent(SIR, $149, + shipping, and the now dead $25. for reg.)
When I'm doing my part this rifle will give no larger than 3 MOA accuracy(real good days is 1.5 ish MOA)

I've done no tinkering with the rifle other than a good degreasing, and a bit of time spent dulling the sights with a Zippo lighter.
Hit some of the US sights where the Civilian Markesmanship Program is discussed, and see the tweekd up M1's some of those fellers are running.
Consider reloading 155gr. Palma style bullets, and powders with the burn rate between IMR 3031, and Varget, dont load hot, and stay away from commercial hunting ammo.(especially if heavier than 165gr).

All this talk has got me thinking I have'nt had my M1 out for a while, I guess a bit of time loading up for the next couple days is in order.

There are no absolutes