Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-03-2011, 10:44 AM

Default Rusty Traps

I am new to the trapping world and i have just got some traps. A lot of them are rusted up so here is my question, i read into soaking them in vinegar and water to take the rust off but then they go on to say to dye/wax 1 week after some rust kicks back in. I wont be using these anytime soon so i want to remove the rust but do i have to dye or wax them right away after or can i do this at a later date? Or should i just take them to a wire brush or sandblaster. They are mostly conibear body grips and a few leg holds. Any info would be great! Thanks
Old 03-03-2011, 11:04 AM

If you don't need them in foreseeable future why bother. I usually do all adjustments of pans and triggers prior to my final dye and wax just so I am not doing adjustments after treating.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:29 AM
Banned

a sand blaster works pretty quick
Old 03-03-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
If you don't need them in foreseeable future why bother. I usually do all adjustments of pans and triggers prior to my final dye and wax just so I am not doing adjustments after treating.
HMMM because i want to what does it matter? I would rather look at a pile of nice looking traps than a pile of rusted ones which stain clothes and covers you hands everytime you touch them. As i said i am new and learning this stuff and would be nice to know for when or if i get the chance to use them. I am just learning how to set them and am farting around with them and i would rather not be covered in rust. But thanks for the tips
Old 03-03-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
a sand blaster works pretty quick
Thanks i may go this way then
Old 03-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Gone Hunting

I wouldn't remove the rust.

I would tie the chains together on several, forming a manageable bundle.
Then I would tie a 1/4 rope through the chain rings and toss the bundles into the stinkiest swamp. slough, or beaver pond I could find.
Or better still, if I had Muskeg close I would sink them in the Muskeg, dig down to water making a hole large enough for the traps.
Immerse the traps completely, and leave them there for two or three weeks.
The soaking should give them a good black coating and remove loose rust.
Better to leave hard rust on, it will help protect the underlying metal.

When they are black enough to suit you, remove them from the water, and wax them.
That way they look good and won't rust any further.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
HMMM because i want to what does it matter?
pardon me then I won't interfere with your long learning curve by trying to save you some steps.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:27 PM

I put mine in a plastic garbage can , add 1 gallon vinegar add traps ( I do at least a doz Wolf Traps) and fill with hot water. Cover and let sit overnight or longer if needed. then pressure wash . They come out looking like new. Rust will form quickly on them, I boil mine in logwood and some willows then wax.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
pardon me then I won't interfere with your long learning curve by trying to save you some steps.
Well by telling me not to bother without some kind of reason doesnt seem like saving me steps. I was looking for advice on how to get rid of the rust so i can play around a bit without getting covered in rust. Not trying to be ignorant just looking for tips. Now thanks to google i see keeping the rust on to do the dying/waxing will help make the dye stick better i now have a reason to maybe leave it on.

Thanks to all with the help i have a few so maybe i will play with a couple ideas.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:09 PM

Default Trap treatment

Hey there Rocky, putting off trap treatment to a later date (bird guy), will not get rid of your rust it just delays the inevitible. This is what worked for me: get a big tub of water to a rolling boil, add a bunch of baking soda (gets rid of any scent on your traps), put your traps in the tub (rusty or not), make sure to run a long wire or rope through the chains so that you can fish them out easily later. Let that boil for a while. I then dissolve my log wood crystals in that same water with the traps in it. I heard some guys use tea bags to darken traps. Let that boil for some time. You can pull the traps occasionally and move to the next step when you are satisfied with the color. Next step is to drop a block of wax in your water. When it is melted, slowly pull your traps up through the wax layer (it sits on the top of the water). You can double dip them if you want to give em a little extra wax. Hang to cool and store them in a dry place where they will not pick up any strong odors. Some guys change the water between steps, but I found it was not necessary. If you use your traps under water (for beavers and rats), they will eventually rust again, but if you only use them for cold weather trapping, the treatment should last a few years. Hope this helps.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzor View Post
Hey there Rocky, putting off trap treatment to a later date (bird guy), will not get rid of your rust it just delays the inevitible. This is what worked for me: get a big tub of water to a rolling boil, add a bunch of baking soda (gets rid of any scent on your traps), put your traps in the tub (rusty or not), make sure to run a long wire or rope through the chains so that you can fish them out easily later. Let that boil for a while. I then dissolve my log wood crystals in that same water with the traps in it. I heard some guys use tea bags to darken traps. Let that boil for some time. You can pull the traps occasionally and move to the next step when you are satisfied with the color. Next step is to drop a block of wax in your water. When it is melted, slowly pull your traps up through the wax layer (it sits on the top of the water). You can double dip them if you want to give em a little extra wax. Hang to cool and store them in a dry place where they will not pick up any strong odors. Some guys change the water between steps, but I found it was not necessary. If you use your traps under water (for beavers and rats), they will eventually rust again, but if you only use them for cold weather trapping, the treatment should last a few years. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the help I will try this!